Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have some fairly old powder that came in metal top cans and paper walls on those cans and it seems to be ok, probably bought new in the 1960’s. I keep the powder stored between 60 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit and try to keep humidity controlled 30 to 40 percent.
I’ve also bought powder at gun shows that I ended up using as lawn fertilizer.
I read about the powder “Unique” being stored wet since it first came out. The test was made - drying out the powder and comparing to new manufacture. This test was done a few years ago.
My memory isn’t good, but it seems the original manufacture date was somewhere around 1890. Is that possible?

I don’t want to store the powder I have in water. But I am wondering if the powder manufacturer’s recommend a “best environment” for powder storage.

Thanks

Bugger

Last edited by Bugger; 12/08/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No secrets and no magic. Try SAAMI for detail. I've seen reports that the same powder will fail in days at higher temperatures and go hundreds of years under best conditions. Dave Emary writing in Guns & Ammo has a table with a specific but not named double base powder that at 70 degrees f. has a cook off time of 1708 years and at 200 degrees f. will cook off in the course of the 8th day at that temperature. Cook off is a mild way to describe a potential disaster.
Guns & Ammo
Another effect of weeks-long propellant exposure to high temperatures is called “deterrent migration.” Under elevated temperatures, above 100 degrees F, the deterrent on or in the propellant can spread further into the grains of propellant. This movement of the deterrent spreads it out within the propellant grain and decreases the amount of deterrent near the surface. The movement of the deterrent causes the burn rate of the propellant to change and get faster, potentially causing higher pressures. Older Ball powder designs are particularly susceptible. Ammunition left in a hot car may not destabilize it, but it can cause high and unsafe pressures.
March 10, 2021
By Dave Emary

No powder lasts forever as residual acid and "stabilizer" continue to interact until the powder goes bad. Notice that going bad doesn't mean loses performance it means becomes dangerous to be around. It has been suggested that the cooler, including a freezer as with flashlight batteries and old style photo film, the better to suppress chemical reactions between residual acid and stabilizer. The water storage report is essentially accurate see Phil Sharpe and other writers who try to be complete beyond a brief magazine article. This from a manufacturer is based on SAAMI:

WHAT IS THE ESTIMATED SHELF LIFE OF GUN POWDER?
The estimated shelf-life of Vihtavuori gun powders is a minimum of 10 years, if stored and sealed in its original containers at a temperature of circa 20°C/ 68°F and a relative humidity of 55-65 %.

HOW DO I STORE RELOADING POWDERS?
STORE GUNPOWDER IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. Be sure the reloading powder storage area selected is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to sunrays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits

I know I have become too casual about aging powder as I shoot less and store more just as I was probably too casual in thinking of my dedicated precision guns as remote hole punches and sporting firearms as distinguished from weapons. I still don't call a S&W Model 41 a weapon but I should worry more about the tension between leaving powder sealed and checking on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, Bullseye came about 1898, Unique was 1900. Their predecessor Infallible was 1890.

Swifty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

I published an article on this years ago, after doing considerable research.

There are various ways to store powder safely, primarily involving making sure it doesn't get too warm--as Clark pointed out. But powder canisters also shouldn't be kept inside tightly closed storage containers that could "explode" during a fire.

My primary reloading area is one end our unheated and non-air-conditioned garage, which can get pretty hot during summer, even in Montana. Right now I have around 90 different kinds of smokeless powder, and want to keep it reasonably accessible for article assignments, instead of having to paw through a refrigerator. Even a pretty big fridge wouldn't hold it all anyway, though the total amount of powder is still within recommended limits. (In general, local fire-department regulations recommend keeping no more than 200 pounds on hand, one of the items discovered during my research for the article.)

My solution was putting the powder canisters in insulated plastic coolers, which can be purchased relatively cheaply. I have separate coolers for various brands of powder, and thanks to our local area cooling down at night even during late summer, the insides of the coolers never exceed 70 degrees during hot, sunny afternoons. (Have checked this a number of times since starting to use the coolers.) We moved into this house in 1998, and even the oldest powders on hand still perform the same as when new.

I suspect whatever storage method you're using works fine, given the temperatures you mentioned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have near the inventory that MD has but at last count there were 25 different powders some bought in the 60's. I keep them in an old refrigerator and haven't had any go bad yet.
"Store in a cool dry place" comes to mind.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Patrick Sweeney July 19, 2007:
that is a supply of Bullseye, made in 1899, stored under water to keep oxygen away from it. It works fine every time they test it.
I have no idea what might have happened in the transition to Hercules with trust busting at Du Pont and then Alliant and so it goes. I know single and double based powders are compounded differently and age differently. I gather modern cannister smokeless powders are pretty stable, non hygroscopic and have many fine keeping qualities. I also knew a thoroughly nice guy who died in a powder flare described as a bit of the sun come down to earth. I gather but do not know that wet stowage as in tank ammunition is or at least has been industry practice for some purposes. I don't know any primary sources for information on the old, wet stored powder tale. Googling there was a thread on Brian Enos that referenced the Hercules employee who conducted one such test.

I also know that with war time conditions and the many places making powder over time that there have been some interesting events. There are many reports of large quantities of Hodgdon surplus powders lasting decades in homes and barns until finally used up; both the 4895 the Hodgdon's started with and the 4831 and other powders added. It's been suggested that some of the differences in recommended loads, especially surplus 4831, were related to age and storage. Bryan Litz and few others have good even important information on humidity and variations in moisture content. Apparently variations in moisture content matters more for precision than I for one ever knew - then again for my purposes maybe not so much. Storage temperatures can change use a little bit. I vaguely recall one tale from WWII in the Pacific where anti aircraft artillery fired shells to somewhat higher elevations with fuses adjusted accordingly because the magazine temperatures and so the ammunition temperatures were above normal.

Hodgdon for one and I think others used to bind the national fire code into some of their loading manuals. I strongly encourage folks to at least check their local rules and regulations - whether followed precisely or not. For instance in one town in Western Washington the law is no more than 50 pounds on site in original containers not to exceed one pound each - doesn't affect many people but it cramps a big box store there. I suspect but do not know that this was a reaction to some local fire. I hadn't thought about Don's powder flare death in years. Just maybe I'll dispose of some of the older odds and ends like a partial can of H205 I used to magnumize a .30-'06 and think about putting my war reserve quantities in original containers in styrofoam coolers but under water - thoughts?.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 12/09/22. Reason: typo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
... I don't know any primary sources for information on the old, wet stored powder tale. Googling there was a thread on Brian Enos that referenced the Hercules employee who conducted one such test. ...
The image below is a scan from an Alliant reloading booklet published in the mid-1990s at the time when Hercules became Alliant. I think it was a reprint of an ad created to assure reloaders that Hercules products were not going to change even if the name of the manufacturer was altered. I don't know that the ad qualifies as a primary source.

About thirteen years ago I posted the image on a thread in the reloading forum of shotgunworld.com, and an Alliant tech posted a confirmation of the type of powder. However the underwater was a sample of an early production batch and was missing some stabilizing chemicals that were soon to be added to smokeless powders, as described in the ad. Underwater storage prevented its decomposition, but I suspect this is due to something more complex than exclusion of atmospheric oxygen. The jar was kept around the offices as a sort of tourist attraction, and was tested occasionally by the lab technicians out of curiosity to find whether it would still go Bang,

--Bob
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.