Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17889755 12/10/22
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thought some of you might like to see a couple pictures of Hal Waugh's famous hunting/backup rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great rifle. Thanks for posting it up.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool. Looks like you are figuring out how to post pics. Nice rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I would love to take it hunting but am scared something might happen to the stock and that kill the guns value. In his book Hal stated the rifle had kicked it's self out of 5 previous stocks. This is the one she was wearing for the book cover.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Scotty, do you think D Arch Echols would be able to put a Legend on this rifle? Gene Similion or any of the others?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Scotty, do you think D Arch Echols would be able to put a Legend on this rifle? Gene Similion or any of the others?
I am new to this forum so I am wondering what you meant by putting a "legend on this rifle"? I might be able to fill in some details for you.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FNWhelen

I am new to this forum so I am wondering what you meant by putting a "legend on this rifle"? I might be able to fill in some details for you.

I was asking Beretzs because he has some rifles with the Echols Legend stock. He has some experience with what they can do, where as I do all my own work. Like I said in your other thread, the clover leaf tang is gong to be the detriment for finding a stock that will work. However, I have see some Legends and other Mcmillan stocks that were inletted for that tang style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
So I will show how little I know...............this action has what is call the clover leaf tang? Thank you for that info! And I take it a Legend or McMillan stock might fit the action. I would love to take it on one more hunt but as is I do not even shoot it for fear it could tear up the stock. That and the old recoil pad is hard as a rock, might as well be steel. Between the recoil pad and the hand loads I got with the gun it leaves you a tattoo every time you pull the trigger.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

All day long. Order a flat top and let the smith inlet it.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beautiful rifle......thanks for sharing.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks buddy. I posted an original stock in his other thread. Pretty good deal on it, even though it's ben cut a little and had a pad installed. Those stocks are hard to find. Having a smith drop it into a Mcmillan would probably be his best option , considering how hard they are to find.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Very cool rifle there. I still have the book. Makes me want to go hunt brown bears.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F

Thanks buddy. I posted an original stock in his other thread. Pretty good deal on it, even though it's ben cut a little and had a pad installed. Those stocks are hard to find. Having a smith drop it into a Mcmillan would probably be his best option , considering how hard they are to find.

Being new here I was slow to jump on the stock and see it is already gone. But I thank you for the effort. I am still looking for a stock if I can find one. It is a shame not to take it hunting but I do not want to put the stock at risk. I am not worried about the metal as it has stood up to all the years Hal carried it.
In the July/August 2013 addition of Sports Afield there is a nice write up on the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FNWhelen

Being new here I was slow to jump on the stock and see it is already gone. But I thank you for the effort. I am still looking for a stock if I can find one. It is a shame not to take it hunting but I do not want to put the stock at risk. I am not worried about the metal as it has stood up to all the years Hal carried it.
In the July/August 2013 addition of Sports Afield there is a nice write up on the rifle.

That's too bad, those stocks are hard to find. I am assuming you are talking about the stock I posted a link of from gunsinternational? It doesn't show sold. Surprised you got an answer from anyone on the weekend..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mr FNWhelen: I'm the guy that wrote that article about Big Nan in sports afield. If you have any questions re: the rifle feel free to send me a P. M.

Dan

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for letting me know Dan. The owner when you wrote the piece was my father so most of what I know about the rifle I got from him.
He made friends with Hal's widow Julie up in Eagle and that is how he ended up buying it from her. He bought her hunting rifle at the same time but at some point sold it. I do know it is nice to have a piece of Alaska history.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for letting me know Dan. The owner when you wrote the piece was my father so most of what I know about the rifle I got from him.
He made friends with Hal's widow Julie up in Eagle and that is how he ended up buying it from her. He bought her hunting rifle at the same time but at some point sold it. I do know it is nice to have a piece of Alaska history.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I sure agree that you have a very neat historical rifle. Your dad was very kind to me letting me see the rifle, and then allowing for the photos. I had at least one nice phone chat with him after the article came out and ended up sending him a copy of the magazine. So I'm curious as to whether Phil Shoemaker was able to use the rifle to build the duplicate for the association's auction rifle a couple years back. Big Nan, along with Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson's .375s are the 3 most historical rifles used in Alaska. I was also fortunate in writing another Sports AField article on their rifles.

I don't believe it would be any problem in shooting Big Nan. You can shoot .375 H&H ammo in the .375 Weatherby chamber. Yes, in the book about Hal he stated it was on the 6th stock, which is hard to understand why. Heavier calibers, if the rifle is properly bedded, don't create stock problems like that. Hopefully the recoil lug is glass bedded, but you might take a look.

Dan

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/17904012#lg=17904012&slide=0[/img]

Phil Flew down and took pictures so they could build the replica to action off. They did it and I believe the rifle went for a decent price but Phil would have to say about that. We did have a good visit and later on Phil called to make a sizable standing offer if I ever want to sell Nan.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Tried to post a picture but I am fighting with it again.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ies/17904012/458#lg=17904012&slide=0[/img]
That is Phil's 458 with Nan

Last edited by FNWhelen; 12/14/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.