Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My current GP100 is a stainless 6" 357 magnum.
I really like the revolver, it shoots very accurately and is a pleasure to use.

This is the third revolver I've owned, and one thing is a pain in the rear:

When shooting 25-50 rounds at the range, of almost any kind of ammo, this particular gun has a tendency to start binding up on the cylinder, and I believe it is because the cylinder gap is only about .004. I think the carbon/crud buildup that will slowly start appearing on the cylinder throat face, and the face of the forcing cone start touching/binding.

Is .004 on the small side, and if so, how do I handle this situation?

Thanks for your advice!
Merry Christmas!

Crab

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The proper way is to use a breech facing cutter that pilots on the bore and shorten the breech end of the barrel by a couple of thousandths. The easiest way is to call Ruger Customer Service, explain the problem, have them email you a label, and send the gun in for service under their lifetime guarantee.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Clemson
The proper way is to use a breech facing cutter that pilots on the bore and shorten the breech end of the barrel by a couple of thousandths. The easiest way is to call Ruger Customer Service, explain the problem, have them email you a label, and send the gun in for service under their lifetime guarantee.

Bill Jacobs

Thanks much, Bill, for your sage advice!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

--- Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kinda nice having a tight BC gap. .004 is on the tight side but I have a few S&Ws that tight and they run dirty ammo just fine.

.006 is what most folks shoot for. I'd probably go the breech cutter route and take .001+ off and see how it runs. But I also own a breech facing cutter setup.

It'll be cheaper to have Ruger fix it... they'll probably just cut the gap a tad bigger. Which is fine.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TX35W
Kinda nice having a tight BC gap. .004 is on the tight side but I have a few S&Ws that tight and they run dirty ammo just fine.

.006 is what most folks shoot for. I'd probably go the breech cutter route and take .001+ off and see how it runs. But I also own a breech facing cutter setup.
I do too.. And I agree - another .001-.002 should fix the issue.. I've done that on a few in my days.. smile

But if Ruger does it, it'll maintain your warranty.. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks so very much for the replies and advice from Clemson, TX35W and Redneck!!

I have sent the GP100 back to Ruger (today) and will await what transpires.

You folks, taking your time to educate me on this situation, is much-appreciated.

Will keep you appraised of the outcome.

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Jerry (oldcrab)

--- Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.