Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bcp
Interesting that a 22 Hornet thread is mostly posts about buffalo, elephant, and 1000 yard cartridges, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

smile

Bruce

^ THIS ^ but i still shoot many crtters with a Hornet

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I believe Ross took top honors at an IPSA or some such handgun championship at Table Mountain Gun Club in Golden, Colorado back in the day. I never learned that until recently, and it stuck because I used to shoot there before it closed down.

Doesn't surprise me one bit as Ross took top IPSC honors in the world. '79 I think... Shooting a Pachmayer Gunshop built 1911/45 using 200 grain cast lead SWC's. One famous photo was him in mid air jumping off a 4 or 5 foot high wall w/45 pointed straight forward, finger off the trigger & off hand heading for the two handed grip, I figure to break the shot as soon as he touched down, maybe sooner.

I missed the date. Seyfried won the bronze in '79. He won the Gold in '81

Last edited by gunzo; 06/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always enjoyed reading Ross. Got to talk to him once and he was a gentleman.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
There was a canoe on the bank that Ross went to move and a garter snake shot out from underneath.

Ross let out a squeal and went into a dance trying to get away from the snake as the snake was trying to get away from him.

After a moment he started laughing and said the only critter he really didn't like were snakes.

John,

Good story!

I never knew about Ross's snake-phobia (the only time we hunted together was on Vancouver Island), but know some other experienced hunters with the same problem.

Hunted in Tanzania's Selous Reserve around a decade ago, and my main hunting partner was a guy who'd hunted a LOT in various places. The daytime temps ran well over 100 degrees. I finally left my thermometer back in camp, but they might have been 110+. I long ago adapted the huntiing in shorts in hot African conditions, but my partner kept wearing long pants--due to his fear of snakes. He KNEW a poisonous snake could easily bite through his pants, but they made him feel better....

Oh, and we ran into 4 black mambas during the hunt...all of which went the opposite direction, very quickly....

JB,

LOL.

Ross hated snakes and according to him when the trackers started playing with snakes he had a very hard line of keep that schitt away from me.

Everyone has their things.

Shooting Cape Buffalo with a SA revolver, cast bullets, and no rifle back up, no problem.

Snakes were just not his thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I too totally dislike snakes!! I've had so many close calls I can't have much luck left. Many years ago (back when a dollar would buy something) I had saved & earmarked $10,000 for a Cape Buffalo & Leopard hunt. After reading about & talking to some people (including Jim Carmichael) about the abundance of SNAKES in the "dark places", I mostly lost interest.

"not too grumpy"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have seen five total snakes in eight safaris, lasting up to a month. One was a harmless grass snake, but did see four black mambas on an 18-day trip to a hotter part of Tanzania--no doubt because it WAS hot.

In most of southern Africa the safari season is their winter, the coolest time of years, when snakes aren't very active. Have seen FAR more snakes per days spent in the field when hunting the U.S., even in October in Montana--many of them poisonous, including various species of rattlesnakes, plus cottonmouths and copperheads in the South.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
While mowing the lawn last week, I dispatched a copperhead. Not with the mower! :-D

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
WV is pretty snakey in places, but I’m mostly not in those places in warm weather. Still, even in my yard down in the Shenandoah Valley, I watch where I put my hands ‘cause you just never know…..

My son lives near Richmond and killed two copperheads in one season right next to his house in a big subdivision.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is another funny Ross story.

Ross had a big barn and a resident flock of feral pidgeons living in the barn.

He had a rule that you could only shoot a pidgeon if it had absolutly no white feathers.

He said he was trying to breed an Aryan flock of all white feral pidgeons but it was really a way to not kill off all the pidgeons and not have a few around for "testing".

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took me almost three weeks to read this thread. On the Miss America 30/416R, his quote about getting a slow enough powder, "If we can't get something slow enough, we'll use nitro soaked charcoal briquettes". Or something to that effect. And the short termed thoughts of hitting his windmill or water tower. Figured the bullet would fly '20-'30+feet above it in mid flight.

His meticulous documentation of his experiments. Bullet deflection/Brush guns. Made multiple peg boards of same materials and shot lots of cartridges to back or debunk myths and wives tales.

His opening page in Nosler #? on the 378Weatherby. Not finding a blood trail, but lion clockwork at the spot of the shot.

Always looked forward to anything he wrote or Garry Sitton.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Took me almost three weeks to read this thread. On the Miss America 30/416R, his quote about getting a slow enough powder, "If we can't get something slow enough, we'll use nitro soaked charcoal briquettes". Or something to that effect. And the short termed thoughts of hitting his windmill or water tower. Figured the bullet would fly '20-'30+feet above it in mid flight.

His meticulous documentation of his experiments. Bullet deflection/Brush guns. Made multiple peg boards of same materials and shot lots of cartridges to back or debunk myths and wives tales.

His opening page in Nosler #? on the 378Weatherby. Not finding a blood trail, but lion clockwork at the spot of the shot.

Always looked forward to anything he wrote or Garry Sitton.
I remember the brush deflection tests and the lion clockwork comment, too. I always enjoyed his writing and feel a new kindred spirit of sorts with Ross since learning we share a severe aversion to legless reptiles.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ross is the man. Always enjoyed his writing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One of the best threads in a long time !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
excuse me for interrupting the wave but another question about the hornet. I've been told by reliable sources. and actually one person on here that sometimes a hornet shoots better with small pistol primers. I guess that is probably powder dependent but this is the first time I have read of using CCI 450s small rifle primer magnums specifically for the little gun is this understanding correct?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
The [bleep] fact about this thread is that a fella like Ross couldn’t come here and BS with us. Some jacktard would ruin it quick.

Great memory JB

What?

The 24hr CF hardly has any do nothing whiners that are jealous of anyones accomplishments.

It's all happy feeling and camaraderie. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by beretzs
The [bleep] fact about this thread is that a fella like Ross couldn’t come here and BS with us. Some jacktard would ruin it quick.

Great memory JB

What?

The 24hr CF hardly has any do nothing whiners that are jealous of anyones accomplishments.

It's all happy feeling and camaraderie. laugh
You seem to be missing the chaos the certain narcissists here fuel.

I respect guys who don't want to come here to get into arguments over this stuff. I also respect guys who DO want to come here and argue over this stuff. It's all fodder for growing knowledge.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ldholton
excuse me for interrupting the wave but another question about the hornet. I've been told by reliable sources. and actually one person on here that sometimes a hornet shoots better with small pistol primers. I guess that is probably powder dependent but this is the first time I have read of using CCI 450s small rifle primer magnums specifically for the little gun is this understanding correct?

I have used both SP and SR primers, std and mag, in the Hornet. Experiment to find out what works best in your gun.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m not very smart and am only barely smart enough to know enough to admit it…. Several years ago my parents and I were hunting South Africa. We along with our PH were driving down a two track ( not sure they call them that down there) and saw a HUGE snake ( some sort of constrictor). Well, we may have had a few beverages, but the PH and I thought it would be fun to catch that big snake…. it was quite chilly and neither of us thought it would present any problem. He went to one side and I went to the other and we started closing in on the snake. When we were both about 6’ from the beast it lifted up and looked DOWN at us ( we are both 6’3” tall) and let out a hiss that could not be mistaken as anything less than serious. I don’t know who made it back to the Land cruiser first but I’m damn sure Carl Lewis would have been impressed by our speeds!

I ain’t two smart but I four shore ain’t messing with no more snakes in africa!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’m not very smart and am only barely smart enough to know enough to admit it…. Several years ago my parents and I were hunting South Africa. We along with our PH were driving down a two track ( not sure they call them that down there) and saw a HUGE snake ( some sort of constrictor). Well, we may have had a few beverages, but the PH and I thought it would be fun to catch that big snake…. it was quite chilly and neither of us thought it would present any problem. He went to one side and I went to the other and we started closing in on the snake. When we were both about 6’ from the beast it lifted up and looked DOWN at us ( we are both 6’3” tall) and let out a hiss that could not be mistaken as anything less than serious. I don’t know who made it back to the Land cruiser first but I’m damn sure Carl Lewis would have been impressed by our speeds!

I ain’t two smart but I four shore ain’t messing with no more snakes in africa!

You just may be smarter than you think.... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wow! 10 enjoyable pages and no biggest dick contests.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.