Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17887176 12/09/22
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I made it to the range today with my new Ruger 10/22 LVT. It showed some promise with SK Target Rifle. It wasn't overly impressive, but I'll give it some time to get seasoned up. I recently bought my first batch of Eley Club. My Ruger American Target liked it pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
50 yards?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Was it windy? Horizontal spread problems?

Just kidding! Nice shooting

Club is a good value as far as Eley goes. Much cheaper than Tenex.

I'm glad your rifle likes it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
50 yards?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

At $6.75 a box, I think it hits the price/accuracy sweet spot. I could probably tighten those groups up a tiny bit with 15-25 buck a box ammo, but for what end? I don't shoot competition.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I used Club almost fifty years ago in the three position Romford matches at Peoria Armory. I remember the price at that time was $22/brick, pricey for an apprentice with two young kids.
Club has been my go to for trying out any new/used 22 rifle.
Right now it is the choice for my built up 10-22 with Kidd trigger and Shaw barrel, my stock CZ455 and my ancient 52.
Sadly, it is no longer $2.20/box.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

At $6.75 a box, I think it hits the price/accuracy sweet spot. I could probably tighten those groups up a tiny bit with 15-25 buck a box ammo, but for what end? I don't shoot competition.

Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's going to shoot better in your rifle. Rimfires can be finicky and you never know what they are going to like, until you do a lot of testing. The 10-22 must have been a dog huh? That is a nice looking Ruger American. Gibby jokingly brings up horizontal stringing, but that is what it is showing. Looks to be about a 1.5 moa shooter with that ammo. Did you take off your bike helmet before shooting?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's going to shoot better in your rifle. Rimfires can be finicky and you never know what they are going to like, until you do a lot of testing. The 10-22 must have been a dog huh? That is a nice looking Ruger American. Gibby jokingly brings up horizontal stringing, but that is what it is showing. Looks to be about a 1.5 moa shooter with that ammo. Did you take off your bike helmet before shooting?

There was light wind with occasional cross gust. There's better to be had out of this combo. Next time I go to the range I'll spend more time with it.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/10/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Paul-

I've found Norma Tac shoots very very good in my CZ455 bull barrel at 50yds and it also does well at 100. Shoots as good as SK Standard Plus and Rifle Match in some rifles. Catch it on sale and it's very affordable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you shoot Tenex or comparable ammo, you'll know what you and your gear are capable of. You don't need to shoot it all of the time, but you can shoot a box of it once in awhile to set and later confirm a performance base line. At least that's how I look at it.

Since rimfire rifles are known to be ammo sensitive, sometimes you can get a great deal on a rifle that won't shoot because the seller won't spend money on high grade ammo to set a base line. A while back I got a Tradewinds 311A for under $200, the same rifle as a Krico 702 or Mauser 201. I think that the seller gave up on it because it wouldn't shoot average ammo very well, but when fed mid-grade Eley or RWS it will shoot sub-MOA, It has become my favorite warm up rifle when I go to the range.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 12/10/22. Reason: fixed grammar error
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Paul-

I've found Norma Tac shoots very very good in my CZ455 bull barrel at 50yds and it also does well at 100. Shoots as good as SK Standard Plus and Rifle Match in some rifles. Catch it on sale and it's very affordable.

I have a few boxes of Tac. I'll definitely give it a whirl next time out.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you shoot Tenex or comparable ammo, you'll know what you and your gear are capable of. You don't need to shoot it all of the time, but you can shoot a box of it once in awhile to set and later confirm a performance base line. At least that's how I look at it.

I never looked at it that way, but it makes sense. I'll get some next time I order.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have two Annie 54's that i like to play with different ammo. One heavy barrel, one sporter weight. The sporter weight seems to be more forgiving to more brands of medium level ammo of RWS, Lapua and Eley. My early model Savage-Annie sporter 54 is even more forgiving with all ammo I've used it seems.

My range is at home. I set up my wind flags when I'm shooting rimfire for group size. Me and a couple buddies like to wind dope (Kentucky Windage) on the windier days of shooting. Even put some money on Serious Sunday's . We have a lot of fun.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Club is the current choice for my 10/22 CSC, having won a “competition” against a couple of SK varieties. It also has a holler-point POI match in RWS HS HP, in that rifle anyway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/11/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I never looked at it that way, but it makes sense. I'll get some next time I order.

It's good advice. I'd only add, that if you plan to do this buy a variety of top-tier 22 LR ammo and not just a single box of Eley Tenex or comparable ammo. I say this because my 22 surprised me by shooting 3 different match rounds better than Tenex, each of which was cheaper too. If I would have just bought the Tenex I would have wrongfully assumed that was the best my rifle could do.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Azar

It's good advice. I'd only add, that if you plan to do this buy a variety of top-tier 22 LR ammo and not just a single box of Eley Tenex or comparable ammo. I say this because my 22 surprised me by shooting 3 different match rounds better than Tenex, each of which was cheaper too. If I would have just bought the Tenex I would have wrongfully assumed that was the best my rifle could do.

Yep, just like I said. Just because it is more expensive, don't expect it to shoot the best. Buy multiple types of ammo. Rimfires can be finicky. I've had some rifles like Eley target more than Tenex. Someone mentioned Norma TAC. Some guys have good luck with it. Most of my rifles like Norma Match better than the Eley target. You just never know until you try it. You don't know where that "baseline" really is, if you only limit yourself to one kind of ammo either..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
True, top tier ammo doesn't guarantee best accuracy - but usually it does, and represents the best chance of stunning accuracy right out of the gate.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Azar

Yep, just like I said. Just because it is more expensive, don't expect it to shoot the best. Buy multiple types of ammo. Rimfires can be finicky. I've had some rifles like Eley target more than Tenex. Someone mentioned Norma TAC. Some guys have good luck with it. Most of my rifles like Norma Match better than the Eley target. You just never know until you try it. You don't know where that "baseline" really is, if you only limit yourself to one kind of ammo either..

I have the middle ground covered pretty good. Just need to grab a few boxes of the really good stuff.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
SK Rifle Match and SK Long Range Match might be worth a go too.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
True, top tier ammo doesn't guarantee best accuracy - but usually it does, and represents the best chance of stunning accuracy right out of the gate.

Most of my rifles shoot pretty good. This was the first group fired from one with Norma match and irons.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That ammo has been pretty consistent shooting in my rifles. I should have bought more when Sportsman's was clearing it out for $5/box!!! Eley seems to be pretty consistent as well. My point is, it's not the best and should not be used as a baseline when there may be something out there that is much better in your rifle. I know most of you guys know that and understand it. Some may not. The same can be said about SK's various different types of ammo. Since some guys mention it a lot. Here's a simple test I did with one of my rifles I sold to a buddy before selling it to him. It was a good 10-22 I had, that shot fairly well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can bet your azz, I'm not going to spend $11/box when the cheaper stuff shoots much better. The proof is always on the target.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 219 Wasp, 39 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,865
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.