Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I lived in Michigan for over 50 years and I shot trap with a gentleman that moved from Kentucky for work. He was 25 to 30 years older than I was. He would return "home" yearly to see relatives and friends and see the places he grew up. He used to tell me of places in the eastern part of Kentucky that you just didn't go. Fact or fiction?

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchester21
I lived in Michigan for over 50 years and I shot trap with a gentleman that moved from Kentucky for work. He was 25 to 30 years older than I was. He would return "home" yearly to see relatives and friends and see the places he grew up. He used to tell me of places in the eastern part of Kentucky that you just didn't go. Fact or fiction?

I'm in the western part of the state, but I have been to parts of Eastern Kentucky before, and I've no desire to go back there. It's different there, that's for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harlan Kentucky and that area is sometimes not friendly to outsiders. Many times not friendly to those who live there.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't think it is that much different, but there are parts of the state that you know you when you are an outsider. When I lived in LOuisiana in the late 80's I was told teh same thing about certain areas in South Louisiana.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think the same could be said for any state. I'm sure there are parts of every state that "outsiders" aren't welcomed or wanted. Kentucky can be quite parochial, to be sure.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Fact!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Harlan Kentucky and that area is sometimes not friendly to outsiders. Many times not friendly to those who live there.

My wifes family is from that area, I would go a bit farther and say sometimes not friendly to outsiders is putting it mildly and I would change the second sentence to most times not friendly to those who live there.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I thought it was going be something in reference to dentistry, or uncle dad and aunt mom😂

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am from pike county born and raised go back every fall for at least a month hunting ...While I am there I visit every gun store go out to eat and run around. I have been up some rough looking Hollers and stopped and talked to folks. Gave one random couple my walking shooting stick and you would think i gave them a thousand bucks. Gave one random guy I started a conversation with a pair of binos he had never owned a pair....I have lost my accent and everyone I meet is very friendly ...I moved to NC 36 years ago and talk about backwards just plain weird people...I would rather be around hillbillys

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 12/15/22.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I live in Pike county myself and live about 4 miles from where the Hatfield’s burned the McCoy cabin on New Years 1888. I can agree people here are different than any place I’ve been. There probably are places/areas you shouldn’t go or be careful if you do go but I can’t name any of them. People are usually friendly and even helpful if you’re in need.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have been all over the northeastern and central parts of Eastern KY, from Ashland and Pikeville down through Hazard and Manchester. People in Manchester can be wary of outsiders (for damn good reason - they've been the butt of hillbilly jokes for a hundred years and have got screwed over by every carpetbagger who ever came through the place), but otherwise, they're people just like anywhere else.

May be different from Whitesburg and Harlan down to Pineville, dunno. I'm not as familiar with that area.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Head into a beer joint in Static, Kentucky on a Saturday night and see what happens.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Head into a beer joint in Static, Kentucky on a Saturday night and see what happens.

The Oasis of the South lol

Been there and done that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by auk1124

I have not, and from the stories I’ve heard, I will not in the future either.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by viking
I thought it was going be something in reference to dentistry, or uncle dad and aunt mom😂
LMAO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by auk1124

I have not, and from the stories I’ve heard, I will not in the future either.

The glory days of Static are over. A lot of KY counties are wet now, which hurt the bars and package stores. And TN passed the lottery, which cut way down on the lottery ticket sales on the KY side.

Up until the early 90s it was kind of the Wild West, but there's not much left there now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot of bars in a lot of other states I don't care to go into, but the people in Eastern KY are some of the best people I know.

Politics is War by Other Means
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Most of my family are from Wolfe or Breathitt County KY. Lots of good people. It is like anywhere though, there will always be turds. Most people carry and everyone knows and are polite.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
You'll never leave Harlan alive!

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wish they said that about Western Kentucky too.... hell, everybody is coming here....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.