-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone have an idea of about how much an old Balvar 6X24 in very nice condition might be worth? Will this scope do anything that a Unertl or Lyman won't do?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would suggest that you contact Fred Warren in Cleveland, OH, as he is probably THE expert on the older B&L products. You can do a seach on www.usa.com and get his telephone number if you're interested.

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Will do....thanks!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
August 2 auction Amoskeag Auction Co. in Manchester NH one of them sold for $550 to which you add 15% commission to auction house.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is? one for sale here in CT for $495. I looked at it and made an offer of $350 just for the fun of it. The offer was declined on this consignment item.

When I looked thru it with the magnification turned up to 18 X it started to loose clarity. In general there were never many of these used for target shooting with the primary scopes being Lyman Supertargetspots and Unertl Target models of 1.5".

I am glad that I did not get it as I like the other scopes better from what I saw.

The prices at gunshows for these old scopes is out of this world.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don

am replying to a lot of your posts tonight. I think there is some optical law or other that says that a very long focal length produces better clarity and definition - Mule Deer would know. Reduces various kinds of aberration. Easier to make an excellent long scope than an excellent shorty. So the old Unertls, Lymans and Feckers are still in demand, I still have one or two of each. Owned a big B&L for a while but never used it, did not like the bulk, in fact now that I think of it I never had it on a rifle so cannot comment, on your comment, on the optical quality.

miki

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miki,

I just looked thru the scope out of a window in the gunshop so my observation is only casual. Also scopes vary in their condition and amongst each other.

As to target scopes vrs the newest scopes I sort of promised to compare my Unertl 15X -2"- Ultra Varmint but I have not as of yet. But if I had to guess which is superior in terms of definition under normal daylight conditions I would go with the old Unertl over any scope that I have seen so far.

Of course these old target scopes are very big and clumsy.

I have three of these old type target scopes and when I get a "new" rifle to try out I just switch the regular scopes around using the cache of Weaver mounts that I have. I am going to try something different as I think a 4X12 has gone south on me and I am going to put target blocks on the "new" gun and shoot it with a 30X Supertargetspot. That will eliminate any scope variables trust me!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.