Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
1" @ 100 yards IMO

That's always been my goal and where I stop looking.
I'm a hunter, 400 yards is along poke for me and not possible most places.
Have killed a couple deer right around that range.

One thing that always puts me off about the 2-3moa being good enough is the fact that
Not all shots are at the chest. Or in the open. Your opportunity might be in a head shot at 100
yards with little else visible. (Had it, made it)
1 1/2 deviation from perfect leaves no wiggle room for error.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Or hustling across a lane/road in the thick stuff without checking up. That's what I run into fairly often, especially in the rut. 3-4 seconds to spot him and mentally range him, get him in the scope, judge him, and make the shot (or pass).[/quote]

That's what I had to deal with in SE Texas. Sometimes they crossed out on a pipeline right-of-way for a "tad" longer, ha. I got frustrated and just stayed on game trails in the woods. Me and ol Mod 94 picked them off around 30yds average, ha.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by mathman
I didn't "account for it", I simply observed that it didn't quite fit the pure quadratic model. I'd have to study up to be conversant with a proper derivation.
Lord have mercy you nerds! Save it for rocket science. laugh
Double the yardage, double the MOA/Mil wind correction plus a click or two. laugh

How to tell us you don't know how to shoot in the wind.

This is completely wrong.
It works out to 600, Johnny MIC'Gutshot.

That's farther than you have any business shooting at big game.

This was almost gutshot because of a bad wind and elevation call. But he posts it anyway under "whatever it takes".

Did you range this with a laser, Johnny? Why did you blow the elevation?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Back when I was young, most rifles that were affordable, and the ammunition of that day, would be lucky to produce better than a 5-shot 2.5” group… I guess nobody ever killed deer at 400 yards back then.
NO one wounded or missed either.

IMHO I can handle a less accurate gun on targets and competition because I can control my rest and wobble a lot easier.

On animals your wobble area is a lot more than most will admit. Even my slung up wobble area while competing was over .25 moa wobble.

I"ve seen wobble and pulse beats be as big or bigger easily than group size.

So my take on this. 400 yards. I want more accuracy than most will. I accept less than some will. My current test is a 4 inch diamond and I usually shoot 100-500 appx 100 yard increments. Off of a rest. One shot each distance. If the gun can't stay in that diamond as long as I'm solid on the wind, then I'm still working on the long end of that load. It tests the sig box drop program too constantly.

So lets just say if I took say 2 moa instead. 8 inches at 400 yards. Then lets ad in an honest average field wobble of 2 moa again. 16 inches. And you err on the wrong side of the wobble on the wrong average shot.. at least 16 inches off at a minimum if my brain is working this morning. Then add in a wrong distance, angular issue, wind guessed wrong... it adds up really quickly IMHO.

Clay targets seem like a fair test at some of the mid ranges like 300-500 yards as a target.

All of that said if I can't control the wobble part on my end at any distance I just won't shoot. We have those dog size deer in TX everyone makes fun of. A good size kill zone is going to be not quite a volleyball in size. Not lots of room for error.

Just my simple minded thoughts. More accuracy can never hurt. OTOH I see folks show up with 10,000 dollar plus rigs all the time that aren't sighted in and then can't even make use of what they have.

Maybe the better question is how much human error will you accept at 400 yards?

Good post rost. I can definitely understand that. I see this thread pop up occasionally, but rarely read it. Yours makes a lot of sense, as I was thinking this morning that there is a difference between accuracy and precision. This thread is about accuracy, at 400 yards. I thought about it more and realized it should be about how close to POA you are, not group size. We always want to focus on group size, that would be precision, not accuracy. For me, I want to keep all my shots within 1 moa from POA (where I want to hit the critter). That is roughly 8 inches (diameter circle) at 400 yards. If you fall out of that 1 moa requirement you place on yourself, it's time for more practice. As you pointed out, that is the "human error" and "wobble" that is affecting where your bullet is landing. Also keeping in mind this thread is about 400 yards. 1 moa may be too much for a 700 yard shot and extremely small for 100 yard shots. 700 requiring more like 1/2 moa from POA, or roughly .550 MOA to remain within that 8" "volleyball" sized kill zone. Then at 100 yards, that 8" kill zone only requires 4 moa accuracy. Most guys/hunters should be able to do that offhand. If not: More practice... That is my take on accuracy. I would have posted pics for a better explanation, but some guys just get pizzed!!!! These are also requirements I place on myself. I strive for 1 shot kills. Others mileage may vary.
From shot to shot, accuracy is certainly dependent on precision.

Just a minor detail to point out, but most guys on the thread are talking about accuracy requirements in terms of ES of the hypothetical group, but you are talking about half of the ES. So when I say that I want my bullet to hit within 1 MOA at 400 yards, that really means +/- ~2" from POA. When you're using the term " within 1 MOA," you mean +/- 1 MOA from POA. Just thought I'd mention it so we don't get wires crossed in this discussion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by mathman
I didn't "account for it", I simply observed that it didn't quite fit the pure quadratic model. I'd have to study up to be conversant with a proper derivation.

It can't be the same for all different bullets at countless different velocities.

The BC of a bullet will impact the rate of how much more it moves laterally downrange due to wind compared to how much it moves in the first 100 yards. With a lower BC bullet, the bullet slows down more quickly. Thus, it takes more time for the bullet to go a certain distance and thus there is more time for the wind to move it laterally. So, it can't be a pure quadratic function. It varies depending on all of the circumstances, including the BC of the bullet and the initial muzzle velocity.

As Jordan Smith posted above, wind drift is dependent on time of flight and wind speed, so it is independent of distance of bullet flight. As you state, muzzle velocity and BC will determine TOF at a specific distance.

Since distance of bullet travel is also dependent on time of flight, there's a relationship between wind drift and distance. Thus, as we all know, cumulative wind drift can be predicted at a certain distance of bullet flight based on the applicable environmental conditions, so if you know distance of flight you can calculate time of flight and subsequently wind drift.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It works out to 600, Johnny MIC'Gutshot.

That's farther than you have any business shooting at big game.

This was almost gutshot because of a bad wind and elevation call. But he posts it anyway under "whatever it takes".

Did you range this with a laser, Johnny? Why did you blow the elevation?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Almost a gut shot" is what kind of shot? Right in the lungs.

Old Jeff tried to give you a way out of your stupid post but you were to dumb and don't know how to shoot in the wind.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weird but typical thread.

Bunch of dudes sitting around fantasizing and theorizing and calculating about shooting and making impacts on targets 400+ instead of actually trying to make hits by actually getting out and doing it.

You’ll learn more and faster by doing it

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems so simple.

Makes a guy wonder how many folks get setup to shoot at distances beyond their zero and never actually do it in practice? And bad news if the first shots pst zero are on game.

Sean
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As I have mentioned before ( before range-finder ) a misjudgement of range with the wind totally ignored (never crossed my mind), shooting off the handlebars of an ATV for rest resulted in me shooting a bull caribou's pecker tip off. They didn't LOOK that far away across the open tundra.

Not my finest moment.

After he laid down behind the three others, I knew I'd hit him, and at closer range, finished him off when he stood up again on my approach, at about 200 yards, where the wind was no longer a significant factor for the 140 gr .260 bullet.

Shorter ranges (and rests) are your friend.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i am out west i always have a bi-pod ,pack or a tripod for shots at all game. in my home state of Minnesota i am in a stand with a bog tri-pod now days . wind many times that`s when you may have to use Kentucky windage some and maybe even the distance animal is at , animals don`t stand around so you can range it or check a wind gauge. that`s when you should have a very flat shooting rifle that`s accurate that you can handle cause recoil can suck too and quickly lay down or sit down if possible with a bi-pod can make a big difference. after 200 yards i need a rest to make the shot on a animal ,out too 200yards the Tubb`s stance works well for me with a decent trigger in the rifle i am using, power down too on scope.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SeanD
Seems so simple.

Makes a guy wonder how many folks get setup to shoot at distances beyond their zero and never actually do it in practice? And bad news if the first shots pst zero are on game.

Sadly; I think most of them. In my not super extensive guiding experience, everyone could tell me how high they hit at 100 but very few could tell me their zero range. None could tell me their wind drift unless they had worked it out on their phone, and many asked me to range shots that were inside 100 yards. It is both funny and not funny at all. Guys want to tell me how deadly they are at extreme long range but when I ask them about target displacement due to mirage I get a blank look. They haven't even heard of it. To be fair a lot of the guys I shoot F class with would do the same on that one.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by SeanD
Seems so simple.

Sadly; I think most of them. In my not super extensive guiding experience, everyone could tell me how high they hit at 100 but very few could tell me their zero range. None could tell me their wind drift unless they had worked it out on their phone, and many asked me to range shots that were inside 100 yards. It is both funny and not funny at all. Guys want to tell me how deadly they are at extreme long range but when I ask them about target displacement due to mirage I get a blank look. They haven't even heard of it. To be fair a lot of the guys I shoot F class with would do the same on that one.

Facts.

The average hunter is a non-shooting SOB

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
There probably isn’t many rifles with sights screwed on tight that couldn’t kill a deer at 400 yards. Twice in a row. In the rain.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Back when I was young, most rifles that were affordable, and the ammunition of that day, would be lucky to produce better than a 5-shot 2.5” group… I guess nobody ever killed deer at 400 yards back then.
NO one wounded or missed either.

IMHO I can handle a less accurate gun on targets and competition because I can control my rest and wobble a lot easier.

On animals your wobble area is a lot more than most will admit. Even my slung up wobble area while competing was over .25 moa wobble.

I"ve seen wobble and pulse beats be as big or bigger easily than group size.

So my take on this. 400 yards. I want more accuracy than most will. I accept less than some will. My current test is a 4 inch diamond and I usually shoot 100-500 appx 100 yard increments. Off of a rest. One shot each distance. If the gun can't stay in that diamond as long as I'm solid on the wind, then I'm still working on the long end of that load. It tests the sig box drop program too constantly.

So lets just say if I took say 2 moa instead. 8 inches at 400 yards. Then lets ad in an honest average field wobble of 2 moa again. 16 inches. And you err on the wrong side of the wobble on the wrong average shot.. at least 16 inches off at a minimum if my brain is working this morning. Then add in a wrong distance, angular issue, wind guessed wrong... it adds up really quickly IMHO.

Clay targets seem like a fair test at some of the mid ranges like 300-500 yards as a target.

All of that said if I can't control the wobble part on my end at any distance I just won't shoot. We have those dog size deer in TX everyone makes fun of. A good size kill zone is going to be not quite a volleyball in size. Not lots of room for error.

Just my simple minded thoughts. More accuracy can never hurt. OTOH I see folks show up with 10,000 dollar plus rigs all the time that aren't sighted in and then can't even make use of what they have.

Maybe the better question is how much human error will you accept at 400 yards?

Good post rost. I can definitely understand that. I see this thread pop up occasionally, but rarely read it. Yours makes a lot of sense, as I was thinking this morning that there is a difference between accuracy and precision. This thread is about accuracy, at 400 yards. I thought about it more and realized it should be about how close to POA you are, not group size. We always want to focus on group size, that would be precision, not accuracy. For me, I want to keep all my shots within 1 moa from POA (where I want to hit the critter). That is roughly 8 inches (diameter circle) at 400 yards. If you fall out of that 1 moa requirement you place on yourself, it's time for more practice. As you pointed out, that is the "human error" and "wobble" that is affecting where your bullet is landing. Also keeping in mind this thread is about 400 yards. 1 moa may be too much for a 700 yard shot and extremely small for 100 yard shots. 700 requiring more like 1/2 moa from POA, or roughly .550 MOA to remain within that 8" "volleyball" sized kill zone. Then at 100 yards, that 8" kill zone only requires 4 moa accuracy. Most guys/hunters should be able to do that offhand. If not: More practice... That is my take on accuracy. I would have posted pics for a better explanation, but some guys just get pizzed!!!! These are also requirements I place on myself. I strive for 1 shot kills. Others mileage may vary.
From shot to shot, accuracy is certainly dependent on precision.

Just a minor detail to point out, but most guys on the thread are talking about accuracy requirements in terms of ES of the hypothetical group, but you are talking about half of the ES. So when I say that I want my bullet to hit within 1 MOA at 400 yards, that really means +/- ~2" from POA. When you're using the term " within 1 MOA," you mean +/- 1 MOA from POA. Just thought I'd mention it so we don't get wires crossed in this discussion.

Fair enough Jordan, but 1 moa at 400 yards is roughly 4" (actual of 4.188"). When you say you want to hit within 1 moa at 400 yards, that is within 4" in literal terms. However, What you are saying is you want a 1 moa group size, which would be 4.188" or 1 moa. Meaning, If you want to hit within 2" +/- from POA, that is roughly 1/2 moa from POA. That is just how it is man. Some of the fu ckinng cry babies here hate my pictures but fu ck them. Sometimes its easier to represent what someone is saying with good pictures. Here's a group that I think is big as hell from one of my new 300WBY rifles I recently put in a new stocK:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
In this target, all of my shots are within 1/2 moa from POA. That equals dead dear and elk, but the group size is big as fu ck. Here's another target shot from another 300 magnum I recently bought:

Again, all shots are within 1/2 moa of POA (orange dot, incase you didn't know). Plenty good for any kind of hunting anyone does around here. We are not talking shooting whistle pigs here, but this is the kind of accuracy I appreciate when shooting at smaller targets:
In this target, all shots are within 1/4 moa from POA. 2 of the bullet holes are actually closer to 1/8 moa: Excellent for prairie dogs I shoot past 400 yards with this rifle.

I'm only showing 400 yard targets here, since that was in the OP. Now, take a look at this target. The bullet holes are close to 1 moa from POA:

It is acceptable enough for any big game hunt, but it shows you that I made a poor wind call. Just to show you that that schidt happens occasionally. Even at a measly 400 yards. I was shooting prone with no rear support. Much like I would be doing in canyon off of a pack. On a really calm day, it's easy enough to put them in within 1/4 moa of POA:

You don't need to be a mathman to figure out what I'm saying. "Within" 1 moa from POA means your group size can be 4.188x2= 8.376". In these terms, 1 moa from POA would be the measure of radius, where the center point would be your POA. We can ask him to double check my math and literal meaning if need be??

I may have to reiterate the simple fact that there is a difference between accuracy and precision. Accuracy is basically how close you can get to your target. Precision is how tight you can make your group. The question in the op was regarding accuracy. Unless he's really meaning precision???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I get your point, and you are correct. I just wanted to point out the difference in phraseology to avoid confusion.

Again, accuracy and precision are correlated. While I think the OP was simply interested in precision, here you and I are talking about our requirements for both accuracy and precision. The dispersion from shot to shot matters, as does the mean POI of all shots fired.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have not been able to get a 400 yard 5 shot group smaller than 3 5/8" with any of my hunting rifles. My hunting scopes top out at 10x, to increase my range would I need a higher power scope, or buy a Creedmoor?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have not been able to get a 400 yard 5 shot group smaller than 3 5/8" with any of my hunting rifles. My hunting scopes top out at 10x, to increase my range would I need a higher power scope, or buy a Creedmoor?

You are shooting .872 MOA at 400 yards.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a 100 yard fireform group from my 7mm Allen Mag. It has taken 54 whitetails from 375 to 1350 yards.
to 400, 1-1.25 moa is plenty good if you have proper rest and are confidant in your ability and equipment.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Over the last 50-some years, I have competed in BR, Fullbore (prone with a sling), "F" class, and metallic silhouette. I also hunt. I have a few hunting rifles from which I have never even fired a group from a benchrest position; yet, I feel perfectly comfortable hunting with them. In fact, NONE of my hunting rifles have been fired from a benchrest over the last five years. The only rifles which are regularly tested from the bench are those which will be used from the bench or from a rested position.
To answer the OP; if a rifle will shoot 1.5 moa, centered where you want it, it will be fine for big game out to 400 yards. Whether or not YOU will be fine is another question altogether. GD

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by RiverRider
A rifle that's truly reliable for shooting 1 MOA groups would hit within 2 inches of your point of aim at 400 yards provided the rifle is sighted in correctly and your aim is true. Is that really essential for big game hunting?

This is what everyone forgets. Even a "2-MOA" rifle should hit within 4 inches of the bulls eye at 400 yards if sighted in properly..... of course the group size will still be about eight inches.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.