Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1751378 10/21/07
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
how many here can deer meat? i killed a 6pt with my crossbow last week and just canned the whole thing. here's how i do mine.

remove all fat ,cut in to 1 inch cubes
pack in quart mason jars almost to the neck
add 1 beef boulon cube and a quarter of a medium onion
fill up to the neck with warm water
pressure cook 90 min at 15lbs.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can most all our meat. Deer, caribou, fish, whatever. I have found I like it plain, that way I can add what ever I want to add and the meal can't be predetermined by what I put in the jar. However, Sitka made some awesome batches of deer chili verde and it was so good, I canned it. Talk about a convenient meal! It's way cool!

I have in the past put a tablespoon of tomato paste in the jar along with a teaspoon of dill seed. Later, I mix it with sour cream and serve over rice or pasta for a nearly instant stroganoff. Excellent.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can venison tongue and heart as BBQ for sandwiches, meat sauce both brown and tomato based. I can a venison Vienna sausage in small jelly jars. I also can corned beef, dried beef, tongue, pork pig's feet and hocks and something the has a Mexican name that eludes right now that is strips of pork skin and fat pickled with peppers and spices and canned. Put it in pinto beans or eat as a side with rice and beans.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Venison is also pretty good canned just w/salt and a little garlic...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can most of mind,but I never put any water in it.To me it don't keep as good..

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Browning the meat before jarring is a huge flavor improver...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can a lot of things but have never canned deer. You guys who do....do you use the same canning principals, water seal, ect...?I have a pressure cooker but it is too small for canning. I have one of those ols SOuthern canners with the jar rack for the stove top.

I have also wanted to can Jims chilli. Do any of you can chilli?

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
O.K., fine. Hows about some recipes, timing, spices, heat needed, jar size, cooling period, etc.

Heck, Crawfish, I once dated a Playboy Playmate. Wanna know the rest??

Just jokin bout the Playmate but do fill us in on the "how too's" and thanks, Pard.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The how to's for canning meat is fairly simple. Pack it in jars, put the lids and rings on, then put in a pressure cooker. If you are canning in pints, you will need to pressure cook it for 70 minutes at 10 lbs. If you re using quarts, it's 90 minutes, also at 10 lbs. The ways to use it afterward are only limited by one's own imagination. I've used it just mixed with bbq sauce, for sandwiches. I've used it as instant stew. I've used it mixed with mayo for a deer salad sandwich.

I think Ball still puts out a very good manual on pressure canning. It gives all the times, etc, along with some recipes.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
canning with beef boulon and onions if you don't add water you won't get the same flavor. you can brown your meat first ,but if you pack it raw my canner book says 90 min at 15lbs.

i just did another 14gt today.

i use my canned meat for lots of different thing so i don't want it flavored to much so i can add what i want each time i eat it.

i've eaten it in white sauce with noodles,in gravy over toast,made BBQ,sandwich spread and added it to chile .

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Miss Treated, many thanks and I'll get the Ball manual, never even thought of that.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (38HBWC, 35, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 9 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.