Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I know that a couple of you guys keep these beetles for doing Europeans. I boil about 7-8 heads a year for family and friends. I have gotten pretty good at it, but, for a couple of reasons it appears that the beetles may be a better way to go.

Less chance of bone break down by over cooking, save lots of time, less fat impregnation in the bone.

My problem is i live at 7300 altitude and understand they are sensitive to cold weather. How do you keep them?

Big thing I am looking at is what to build to keep them in. Keeping them warm. Have cold winters how to keep them from dying.

Also are they good with kids and can you teach them tricks.

Looking at buying some off of ebay or another website.

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
problem (as I understand it) is now so much what to keep them in but what to feed them. 7-8 skulls a year does not a steady diet make. smile

I've looked into it a few times but have always gone back to bacterial maceration due to the logistics.
The folks that keep them have a year-round food supply for them which is not practical for the average guy.

make sense?

BTW, ask JJHack. he has a good ostelogical prep business and can give you the real skinny.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rot it off... boiling induces grease into bone, rotting works, stinks some, but works well during the warm months...

Beetles, boy you better make sure they are contained, if they ever get into the house....all your mounts are GONE!!!

I've seen enough dermestid beetle damage in my mounts in houses that are not kept exterminated over the years.... 2 years ago I went to look at a collection... they had probably 30 wt heads over 140..... and various others..... just about ruined them..

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
problem (as I understand it) is now so much what to keep them in but what to feed them. 7-8 skulls a year does not a steady diet make. smile

I've looked into it a few times but have always gone back to bacterial maceration due to the logistics.
The folks that keep them have a year-round food supply for them which is not practical for the average guy.

make sense?

Hate to sound stupid, but, what is bacterial maceration or a ostelogical prep business?

BTW, ask JJHack. he has a good ostelogical prep business and can give you the real skinny.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
YAH! NM Hunter?

RE: "...cold winters here ... keep them from dying? "

Actually thems Beetles 'things' is nearly indestructible! I hadda put 'em ALL outside- and our North Dakota winters didn't even phase 'em.

RE: "...any good with kids?"

No, not worth a darn with Kid's- thems Beetles just go 'n crawl inta the kid's ears when they's a sleeping. That's WHY I put 'em ol' Beetles outta the house.

RE: "..and can you teach them tricks?"

Naw! You can't teach Kid's nothin' ... 'n thems Beetles's ain't much smarter.

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
rost495, I have about 20 mounts in my trophy room, but, as long as i clean up after working with the beetles I should be fine right???

I think I can keep them fed, we do alot of hunting and I butcher 1-2 steers every year myself as well as couple of lambs.

How do you keep them warm. Any ideas or suggestions?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Use those nasty critters at your own risk. After they have cleaned your bones they will eat everything in your house, and then they will eat your house! I am not kidding. I had a few escapees from my colony in a controlled environment (university laboratory) and cleaning up that mistake turned into a nightmare. I also had a small personal colony cleaning some private specimens in what I thought was an isolated environment - my airplane hangar. The damn things nearly destroyed the avionics wiring on my airplane. But you will probably be more careful than I was, right?

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Jeez sound worse than termites.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A friend of mine does skull swith beetles for extra spending change. He uses a couple of old chest freezres and has one galvanized steel stock tank for large skulls suchas elk and moose. He has all of this in his garage, does well and has never had a problem. His wife also raises beagles and none have been eaten by the beetles yet. He does keep them contained in the freezers, etc. If you PM me your contact info, I'll put him in touch with you if you would like.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
I heard that the Democrats routinely clean "their skulls" with these beetles; especially Al Gore.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
those were DUNG beetles smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woofer
those were DUNG beetles smile

True � coprophages, not dermestids � but unfortunately, there's no credit to Al Gore or any other prime American candidate, no matter how needful of their ministrations they may be, on this Down Under web site.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I take my skulls and bury them outside my house for a few months, if they wear any headgear I cover it up so it dont get bleached by the sun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Having been in taxidermy through a trade school since about 1987... and what I've read/seen

I personally would not risk it, especially for a few skulls a year, emaciation works just fine with none of the boiling issues.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Wire it up in a tree (to prevent critters from hauling it off)birds will nearly pick it clean...then bury for a few weeks.

Has worked well for my brothers...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,069
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.