Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I passed up a revolver at a gun show today. The rear sight was so far left, you could easily notice. It wasn't mint, nor was it a steal, but it was a good deal. Still, I walked. Unless it's a gun that can be warrantied, which this one could not, I can't imagine any good reason for a sight to be that far off?

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Other than someone that couldn’t shoot a pistol in the first place and screwed with the sights to compensate for poor shooting…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Probably the shooter.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very common to see S&Ws with the adjustable rear cranked all the way over. 9 times out of 10 it’s because the shooter has been jerking the trigger. Center the blade and use good form and they shoot just fine.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It could be compensating for a bent front sight or barrel that needs to be turned slightly

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a Ruger .30 Carbine Blackhawk that I got used. I won a gun in a raffle, didn’t want whatever it was, and the lgs owner who knew me very well told me how much I could apply toward anything else in the shop. Anyway, this BH was kinda rough but I figured it was just a project gun, but, of course, I had to shoot it. Rear sight was cranked way over to the left because the barrel was screwed in way past 12 o’clock. Still, it was very accurate. And loud, very loud.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It’s usually just a sign that the previous owner was an idiot.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with everyone else who's pointed to the previous owner.

Of course, it is mathematically possible that the gun played a part. A couple summers ago, JiminIdaho had a Ruger revolver that had a barrel that was pointing off to the side. But, statistically speaking, that's not the most probable explanation here. What likely happened--the prior owner is a poor shot, ran out of rear blade adjustment, was still missing targets, got frustrated, tripped it to the gun show.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup. If the gun were the problem, some part of it would be so crooked that it’d be pretty obvious upon a close look.

Maybe I’m being too cynical when thinking that a previous potential buyer with a small screwdriver could have made a surreptitious exaggerated “adjustment” so that the gun might still remain unsold at the end of the show and he could then make a lowball offer.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I loaned a slabside Ruger MK2 to a brother in law, he wanted to shoot it at an indoor pistol shoot to see if he wanted to buy one and compete weekly.

It came back to me dirty and the rear sight was moved all the way over. That was the last gun I ever loaned out.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Other than someone that couldn’t shoot a pistol in the first place and screwed with the sights to compensate for poor shooting…
That was my first thought. I’ve bought used revolvers with the rear sight way to high. Presumably because the previous owner had a flinch and was dipping the barrel at the shot but kept trying to correct it with the sights.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love finding a Glock with the rear sight pushed one way or the other.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yep. Non shooting previous owner.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
about 6" off at 10 yards , fixed sight ... Taurus ..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not on a revolver but on a used German made P226 I noticed that the pistol was shooting way off to the left . On the first trip to the range I took along some tools to move the rear sight and was amazed at how a very very small movement of the rear sight would move the group. Just a few tries and it was good to go and remains spot on today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had 2 guns that were that far off or worse. Both of them NIB S&W’s. A 629 classic 5” and a 442 with no sights. I did send both back to S&W be fixed. On both they said they realigned the barrel.
The 442 is right on the money now. Before the fix It was like 5 or 6 inches off at like 15 yards.
The classic I don’t know about, as soon as I got it back I sold it to my buddy for what I had in it. I don’t think he’s shot more than 2 cylinders with it. Because while it was in the shop I bought a 629-4 5” classic from another buddy. It shoots great.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I’ve had 2 guns that were that far off or worse. Both of them NIB S&W’s. A 629 classic 5” and a 442 with no sights. I did send both back to S&W be fixed. On both they said they realigned the barrel.
The 442 is right on the money now. Before the fix It was like 5 or 6 inches off at like 15 yards.
The classic I don’t know about, as soon as I got it back I sold it to my buddy for what I had in it. I don’t think he’s shot more than 2 cylinders with it. Because while it was in the shop I bought a 629-4 5” classic from another buddy. It shoots great.

Often in those cases it's because the barrel shoulder is a little thick/long, which causes a ton of thread choke when you tighten the barrel to 12 0'clock. The bullets get undersized so badly when they go through the frame/forcing cone area that POI ends up way off in a random direction.

I have fixed a lot of guns by taking a few thou off the barrel shoulder. J-frames do it the worst, but if a k-frame is shooting off to one side or the other and the barrel is correctly clocked it probably has a bunch of thread choke. Easy to check with a plug gauge--your gauge will come to dead stop when it reaches the frame area.

Haven't found one that didn't immediately start shooting straight (not to mention way more accurately, esp with lead bullets) when the thread choke was taken out. Also they generally stop showing ammo preference and tend to shoot most ammo well and to similar POIs.

But to respond to the OP's question: I'd be even bid on an idiot previous owner OR a gun that had a bunch of thread choke from the factory, which probably never shot accurately (or straight), and so someone was trying to get rid of it.

Thread choke is easy to fix. I pull the barrels off most of the S&W's I buy. They usually have a bunch of choke at the frame.

If it's an auto...another story.

Last edited by TX35W; 12/20/22.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I don't meddle in buying and selling guns much, but very few used firearms I have purchased have shot close to point of aim for me as delivered. I don't see how some even hit the rear berm.

Last edited by autoshopteacher; 12/20/22. Reason: additional thought
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, bought a few that way. Usually a 44 or 357 that some duffer tried to dial his flinch out of.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.