-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me a 55sp is amongst the favorite of bullets for deer out of .22 center fires. At least from some that post here.

I carried a 22-250 with 55sp bullets this year. Didn’t shoot schit though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sherwood
Back in the 1960's and 70's Jack O'Connor was my favorite hunting writer. He stated that bullet performance and penetration are the hallmarks of killing power. The diameter of the bullet BEFORE impact is largely irrelevant. Shoot a big game bullet from a .223 within reasonable distance and it will result in a kill. I started my oldest daughter shooting mule deer with a .223 and she was successful. She hunted with Winchester's 64 grain Power Point ammo. - Sherwood

Yep. A good bullet and proper shot placement Trump bullet diameter every time.

This 64 grain factory Power Point Ammo is a great little hog and deer killer.
I used them in my 16” .223 T/C Carbine to let all of my nieces and nephews shoot their first deer and hog.
The 60 grain Nosler works just as well. Nowadays, I mostly use the 62 gr Barnes TSX bullet.
I’ve yet to lose a hog or deer with it out of my heavy barreled AR-15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
55gr Hornady is an excellent deer bullet out of the 223.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Selecting from loads I've put together for my 223, if I were to take it out after deer I'd most likely be using the 65 grain Game King.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mwarren
No, not for any Buck or Doe that I'm interested in shooting. I've seen some of the photos posted on this thread with small does taken with .223. Why would anyone shoot does that small? 250 yard head or neck shot doesn't seem like ethical hunting to me either. Reads like a potential tracking nightmare.

Around here, a typical mature 3.5yr+ doe is going to weigh 115-135lbs. Every now and then we get one pushing 140lbs, but it is rare. A typical 3.5-4.5yr old buck is going to be 160-190lbs at his best weight in the fall.

I agree with you on the longer-range head and neck shots, there's just too much that can go wrong. If I'm just going to shoot a doe or sow for the freezer, I can afford to wait for an easier shot presentation, and at that point, nearly any centerfire rifle will do the job. But if we are talking "general purpose" deer and hog hunting, then shot presentations and circumstances are sometimes not ideal, and I like more gun for those times. A tough shot angle, right at dark, near heavy cover, is not really when I want a .22cal centerfire in my hands. Like the 6mm rounds, it'll certainly kill them, but I've had better results in the field with the "standard" deer rounds like the 7mm-08, 30-06, 308, etc. I simply get very few shots at decent bucks in a given hunting season, so I plan for the worst....

Last edited by JPro; 12/20/22.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mwarren
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?
Let the schit-slinging begin.

No, not for any Buck or Doe that I'm interested in shooting. I've seen some of the photos posted on this thread with small does taken with .223. Why would anyone shoot does that small? 250 yard head or neck shot doesn't seem like ethical hunting to me either. Reads like a potential tracking nightmare.
How big are these large does you’re shooting? Some places deer in general aren’t very big, even the “big” ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe the "general disdain" directed toward using .224 bullets on big game is based on antiquated information of bullet performance from a bygone era. Note, I'm not attacking anybody's personal opinions or comfort level. We simply have better bullets now than we did in the past. Yes, I acknowledge that applies to bullets of all sizes. However, the smaller calibers have benefited more, in my opinion, and a 223 with the proper bullet is an excellent deer round.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Shot one at 80 yards . She jumped a few steps, turned around confused. Shot her again. She just ran off. Went away for an hour then found her a hundred yards farther away. Shot a little one at similar range. It dropped. 55 soft point, 25g H335, not too impressive.

You shouldn't be impressed when you use the wrong bullet for the job.
I killed a pronghorn at 175yrds with a 55gr Rem PSP out of a 223AI fireform load. Went 10yds. Quarter sized exit hole.

The wrong tool for the job CAN get the job done, that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

Which is your 223 deer bullet preference?

Fusion, Partition and Nosler Bonded. All of those are well constructed bullets that expand and shed some of their core/fragment.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Selecting from loads I've put together for my 223, if I were to take it out after deer I'd most likely be using the 65 grain Game King.

I have some 55, 62 and 65 grain GKs loaded, but haven't shot anything with them. I have so much confidence in the 60 grain Partition and the 64 grain Nosler Bonded that I have a hard time not using them.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you have the proper twist rate and you can find them, the 75gr Gold Dots are great deer bullets.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
funny how now it is acceptable from most experienced hunters at least, that 223 and above is plenty good for deer. i am 65 now and have been killing deer all my life with the 22 high power rounds. a few years ago, it was considered foolish to use such a caliber on deer sized game. i think most of that came about from so called "expert" gun writers, who most never tried such a caliber or maybe never even got from behind a desk and in the field at all. i remember reading all the story's about how a deer shot with a 22-250 would only have a superficial wound and run off to die a lingering death! back in the early 60s-late 80s my dad used to kill deer with a 22 hornet with no problem, but he would keep shots around 80yds or less. not saying a hornet is a deer round but i can tell you this, an average sized SC deer, 120lb or so hit behind the shoulder with a hornet will die fast! i have skinned his deer and the bullet will penetrate to the offside skin or exit every time.

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been using a 223 for deer for about 20 years, no problems.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
... a 223 with the proper bullet is an excellent deer round.

I certainly concede that a .223 is "adequate," especially within a reasonable distance. But "excellent" means that it excels or is superior to most others. I wouldn't go that far, personally. I have killed deer with 10mm pistols, when that's all I had with me, but I would prefer to shoot one with a .223, which has about a third more energy than the 10mm loads I shoot. I live on 5 acres and sometimes just hunt my backyard. When I grab an AR for that purpose, I always grab my AR10 and not my AR15. The .308 is just way better with no downside. If I only had my AR15, I would use it without reservation. But the .308 recoil is nothing to me. If I was shooting hundreds of deer and was in terrible financial shape, I could see using a .223, but that's not because it excels, but because it likely would do the job in most circumstances. It's adequate.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The last deer I helped look for someone shot with a 223 we didn't find until the buzzards circling showed us where it was the next day. There was no blood trail after a few feet

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The last deer I helped look for someone shot with a 223 we didn't find until the buzzards circling showed us where it was the next day. There was no blood trail after a few feet

What projectile was used? Range? How well was the deer hit? Internal damage?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lots of focus on the bullet, less on the energy behind it. I've upped the powder charge a full grain without pressure signs and still half a grain below Lyman's max. It's a hopefully better combo coyote/maybe deer load in a light rifle I like to tote. The guy in the panhandle swears they've put over a 100 deer in the freezer with the 55 V Max factory loads, without a single loss. Whatever powder it is, the stated velocity is 3240. The bullet does not seem to fragment as advertised but the plastic tip forces reliable mushroom deformation. Perfect energy transfer. Speed kills. Same bullet might not do so well at say 2800 fps? I've had deer shot with "big game" rifles run 90 yards on 3 legs with a sliced heart. Difficult to find. A neck shot or high shoulder is much more effective, regardless of caliber, chambering, or bullet selection. Dead deer can run a long way sometimes. One thing for sure, 223 is cheap to shoot, and versatile. But it's no 6.5 Creed!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

That’s my favorite.224 deer bullet and, if I shoot another deer before the end of the month, it’s what I’ll use, the .223 having come up in the rotation.

My first.224 deer was in 1967 with my 788 in .222 shooting a Norma factory load with a 50 grain bullet. DRT at 200 yards, spined through the upper shoulder with the bullet under the offside hide. I was young and didn’t know any better.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Sherwood
Back in the 1960's and 70's Jack O'Connor was my favorite hunting writer. He stated that bullet performance and penetration are the hallmarks of killing power. The diameter of the bullet BEFORE impact is largely irrelevant. Shoot a big game bullet from a .223 within reasonable distance and it will result in a kill. I started my oldest daughter shooting mule deer with a .223 and she was successful. She hunted with Winchester's 64 grain Power Point ammo. - Sherwood

Yep. A good bullet and proper shot placement Trump bullet diameter every time.

This 64 grain factory Power Point Ammo is a great little hog and deer killer.
I used them in my 16” .223 T/C Carbine to let all of my nieces and nephews shoot their first deer and hog.
The 60 grain Nosler works just as well. Nowadays, I mostly use the 62 gr Barnes TSX bullet.
I’ve yet to lose a hog or deer with it out of my heavy barreled AR-15.

I tried to like the 60gr NPT but I couldn't get it to shoot. I'm not expert on loading but I tried more than a few. I'm going to get another rifle going for my daughter that's shown some interest in hunting. I'll set her up with 55gr ttsx of the 60gr Win PP's.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

The three worst "find a wounded deer" goat rodeos I've helped with with included one a guy hit with a .30-06 and one a guy hit with a 12 gauge shotgun slug and one a guy hit with a .300 WSM.

Shot placement matters.

Caliber doesn't compensate for incompetence.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Lots of focus on the bullet, less on the energy behind it. I've upped the powder charge a full grain without pressure signs and still half a grain below Lyman's max. It's a hopefully better combo coyote/maybe deer load in a light rifle I like to tote. The guy in the panhandle swears they've put over a 100 deer in the freezer with the 55 V Max factory loads, without a single loss. Whatever powder it is, the stated velocity is 3240. The bullet does not seem to fragment as advertised but the plastic tip forces reliable mushroom deformation. Perfect energy transfer. Speed kills. Same bullet might not do so well at say 2800 fps? I've had deer shot with "big game" rifles run 90 yards on 3 legs with a sliced heart. Difficult to find. A neck shot or high shoulder is much more effective, regardless of caliber, chambering, or bullet selection. Dead deer can run a long way sometimes. One thing for sure, 223 is cheap to shoot, and versatile. But it's no 6.5 Creed!
Speed does not kill. It seems to help but its not the end all for sure. Killed a lot with the creed. Never lost one with 223 either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,810
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.