Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Anyone done this with the 2-AA minimag flashlight? Did you find it worthwhile doing?

I’m seein conversation products on Amazon that range from 30 lumens to 180.

I have 3 potential donors for this.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, I've done it and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I upgraded while I was still working (I'm now retired) and got the upgrade parts at AIH. I like it.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have several D cell maglite flashlights that have gone Kaput and this thread is a good reminder to look into the LED upgrade. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just about all Maglights are upgradable. And all well worth it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I found the Mini Mag LED upgrade to be less than advertised- too much $ for too little performance.
On a related note, Malkoff Devices have been worth every penny. They are a lifetime investment.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I upgraded my mini Mag with the Nite-Ize LED upgrade kit. It did improve its performance for a modest sum. Being a AA flashlight there will be limits to its performance don’t expect it to perform like a cars headlight.

Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Nite Ize kit on a couple of the size you asked about. I found them worthwhile if for no other reason than getting a tail cap switch. They're plenty bright for what I use them for. I wouldn't spend a huge amount on conversions just because of the ubiquitous LED lights that are available now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years back when leds first came out, i did that with the nite ize conversion.

It was meh….

Batteries finally corroded in it.

Chunked it in the gully out back the fence row.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of the mini lights with the Nite Ize conversions. It is reliable, sturdy and gives a reasonable amount of light.

Sam......

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I used Maglights for years but their performance was lacking compared to surefire flashlights. Both the mini mags and D cell versions. Even 20 years ago I could upgrade the bulbs to LED options but never got a big improvement in brightness. Today’s upgrade might be better than what I tried.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have IIRC, three Mag Lites with the Nite Ize conversions, all stashed in cars or beside the bed. They are not very bright, but they are solid, and I like the Mag Lite quality. Last I checked into them they had lost a performance step against the competition. These go for months without use, but get checked regularly.

Have switched to Olights, Streamlights, and the Energizer 1000 lumen headlamp for serious work. I’ve also switched to Energizer lithium and alkaline cells after ruining a bucketful of Mag Lites with Duracells.

That Energizer 1000 model sells on Amazon for about $22, came with a pair of 123s and the rechargeable unit. I use the rechargeable and keep the 123s on standby. Really nice light that has a headband, but snaps out for handheld use.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My original AA Mini Mag suffered corrosion of the batteries. I sent it to them and opted for the trade-in offer, upgraded to LED. It's a notable improvement, but there's only so much you can get out of AA batts and a single LED bulb. Also, the head gets quite warm after a few minutes. They are a great light for a limited stretch of uses.

I have a flashlight and a pocketknife at all times. The light may be as minimal as the Streamlight Nano on my car keychain (a remarkable light light, btw) but I'll always have one.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I upgraded one years ago. Don't remember brand of upgrade, don't have it any more. As I recall it was a little brighter, little better battery life, lost the beam focus feature, so kind of a meh. I think the money is better spent on just buying a new LED light.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Anyone done this with the 2-AA minimag flashlight? Did you find it worthwhile doing?

I’m seein conversation products on Amazon that range from 30 lumens to 180.

I have 3 potential donors for this.
Absolutely. Hugely improved the beam. No comparison.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tried the Maglite LED upgrade about 20 years ago. There was some improvement, but nothing huge. Nowadays, that's like upgrading the windshield wipers on a Model T. A modern LED flashlight is so much better.

My current flashlight is a Fenix PD36 TAC. It has wide range of brightness settings from barely useable to super bright, has a really long run time, comes with mechanical switching so there is no leakage current, and the battery is rechargeable. It is simply a super versatile and effective light that works great at home and while camping/hunting.

JMHO

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd36-tac-flashlight

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shinbone
I tried the Maglite LED upgrade about 20 years ago. There was some improvement, but nothing huge. Nowadays, that's like upgrading the windshield wipers on a Model T. A modern LED flashlight is so much better.
But can it double as a sturdy billy club?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My current flashlight is a Fenix PD36 TAC. It has wide range of brightness settings from barely useable to super bright, has a really long run time, comes with mechanical switching so there is no leakage current, and the battery is rechargeable. It is simply a super versatile and effective light that works great at home and while camping/hunting.

JMHO

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd36-tac-flashlight
^^^^^
That’s what I have. It is one bad ass little light. Worth the price imo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Since this is a thread about the 2 AA, I doubt it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Since this is a thread about the 2 AA, I doubt it.
In that case, you may as well just dump it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 26 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.