-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outdoor edge replaceable blade with the orange rubber handles so I don't set it down and lose it. Carry this one hand operated Spyderco everywhere

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charlie May Trace

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are lots of good knives to choose from, depending on how much money you want to spend. The bottom line on all of them, is that you learn how to properly sharpen them. The best steel in the world is of little use, if you are incapable of sharpening them. The cheapest knife will do the job, as long as you can stop and sharpen it back up to par.

I have several knives that are all great, but I prefer the ones that are of D-2, S30V, etc. I like the better-quality steels, as they hold an edge better.

I have a few Bucks, which are great knives for the price. They are good, because of buck's heat treating process. They use mediocre steel in most of their knives, but they do well, because they are properly hardened. I have two custom knives-one with D-2 and one with 440C. The 440 C is an older standard, but this knife is very good, again, because of the hardness factor.

I have some Old Timer-type knives that are pre-China that are good for average use. They sharpen well and quickly. They just do not hold the edge like the better steels do.

My go-to for most daily deer duties (and that is a lot for me, as I kill several a year) is one of two SOG knives that are of S30V steel. They are very good knives and small enough to be handy.

I would have to say that my favorite production knife, is my Benchmade folder. D-2 steel and very good construction.

Some people look at knives like artwork and collect them. I like a nice knife, but will not own anything that I am scared of scratching at some point. Ultimately, they are a tool to me-just like a rifle. Every knife that I own has been used on a critter at some point.

Last edited by sbhooper; 12/22/22.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Just wondering what ya'll carry while hunting, or use after the kill. I'm a big fan of cold steel lately. I bought a SRK and that sucker is tough. Holds an edge real good. I've used it to gut, skin, debone, heck I've even split firewood with it.

This season I carried 2 knives in my pack. 1) Cold Steel mini Pendleton. Cheap, UL, and no concerns about accidentally closing it on my fingers. 2) Benchmade Steep Country. I really like this pair.

I have 3 SRKs. The first was in San Mai. It has skinned and disassembled a deer or two or three. I have flattened the edge angle on it a bit for that use so I'm not sure I'd want to baton wood with it, might break a chunk out. The second was the Compact model. Figured for $35 or something like that it was worth a try. I like it .. like the smaller size and lighter weight. Wish it were available in one of their higher grade stainless steels. The most recent is the CPM 3V version. I can't put my finger on it but there's something vaguely different in the dimensions from that first knife and I like this even better, but I'm not going to change the blade angle, I'm going to keep it pretty much as is for all around use.

I also have a Recon Scout in CPM 3V. It's marginally too big for my uses. Probably will go in a lock box in the truck along with a small saw for building lunch fires or the like. I don't really see lugging it around. Oops.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Charlie May Trace

Nice knife. The deer is ok too I guess.

Congrats on a toad!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
George Herron Number Two is about as good as it gets. Mine has many, many pickup beds of dead critters to its credit.

Blessings and Merry Christmas, my friends.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote10;
Good afternoon, I hope that wherever this finds you, it finds you warm, well and dry.

Thanks for the thread and as always thanks as well to the members who've contributed to make it interesting reading.

Since I'm a lifelong self confessed knife addict, I had to think for a bit to narrow it down to a single one - which I really cannot...

But if pressed I'd go with a Kershaw 1030TF that my wife bought me for one of our first Christmas's together close to 40 years back.

[Linked Image]

In my back pocket during hunting seasons for the past dozen or so years is this Vantage Pro which I redid the scales to Blaze Orange shortly after I got it.

[Linked Image]

The fixed blade gets switched out a wee bit as I've fooled with other blade shapes and steel, but the Buck is always along.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Skane---- the first knife that caught my eye was that large Machete blade sticking out of that bucks head ---- What a buck

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been a favorite of mine as it's design and how well it holds and edge. It is from Dave Kauffman, Montana City, Montana. He is one of the best knife makers, you will ever find...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dam, very nice.

Originally Posted by SKane
Charlie May Trace

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This one probably gets used the most.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
What a beauty. I have only one Phil Wilson, exceptional knives.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
To you and yours.

Frank

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
BC30cal
Well using a knife for 40 years, and I can tell you use on alot, I'm getting that Kershaw 1030TF if I xan find one. Way cool. Merry Christmas

Also shrapnel, not only is that a cool knife, that Mauser rifle ain't to shabby neither. Awesome

Last edited by Coyote10; 12/22/22.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by dogzapper
George Herron Number Two is about as good as it gets. Mine has many, many pickup beds of dead critters to its credit.

Blessings and Merry Christmas, my friends.

Steve

Steve,

Good to seeing you posting here again. I always enjoyed reading your posts, and I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Though I’ll likely (sadly) never have a George Herrron Number Two, I was able to find a Geno Denning model that is very similar. I hear he had a good mentor.

Merry Christmas to yours as well.

Framk

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A couple of M. Millers that I got here on the Fire, and a McCroskey skinner.

Last edited by jc189; 12/22/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by fshaw
What a beauty. I have only one Phil Wilson, exceptional knives.

Thank you and Merry Christmas
To you and yours.

Frank

Frank, thanks for the compliment. That is the only Wilson I have as well. I'm blown away by how it cuts.

I'd like to see the one you got from Phil as well sometime too.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Brandon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This L. O. Albach Apache Hunter model.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, BC30cal, good choice on the Kershaw I got one to with the Orange handle. Cold steel Pendleton is another handy one, if lost,,,,,, buy another one. The choices for knives is unbelievable today. Our fathers just bought whatever the local hardware store had in stock. Barlow or case in a stock man, one blade for cutting bailer twine, one for skinning muskrats, main blade saved for serious work. We are pretty spoiled we are. Have about 8 drawers full of them, to many to use now. May keep some main ones, a few centimentles & start handing them out to some kids. Still a few youngsters in the bush not playing vid games. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ya Steve good to hear from ya, you cost me a lot of money over the years, well worth it though yr a good mentor. Whose the guy that George taught? He still makes a knife pretty close to George's style. I think AG Russel sells one from him in 440 S/S production model. Have a good Christmas & a great New Year I hope everyone has a great Christmas & a good New Year. GWP 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just had this one made in Sept by Bill Poor @ Flatland Forge in Texas

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Flatland Forge Custom Knives

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.