Print Thread
Hop To
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
It seems that we will have at least an Alaska Marine Highway sailing to PR. I have driven PR to the US into WA on 97 (always in a hurry). It looks like a regular trip may be PR to Montana then South to Kansas. Any recommendations as to nice clean lodging along the way? Thank you.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uncas;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope wherever you're at the heating system is functioning properly and you're well.

Regarding the question at hand, are you thinking somewhere like Prince George for a half way stop or are you going to slice it into smaller days?

We drove up to Dawson City this summer and did book our hotels ahead of time online and were glad we did. I'll find the name of the place in Prince George, but it was full to capacity on a Thursday night as were all the rest of the hotels which was both good and bad in some ways.

When we're booking a hotel, the online reviews seem to be pretty accurate overall we've found.

Will the trip be in summer or now in winter?

Either way, if you hit up the DriveBC website it'll give you up to date road conditions including fires, accidents and weather.

https://drivebc.ca/

Hope that helped at least a little bit?

Safe travels, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Retired now so stopping, looking and sleeping in a bed are the way of things. Always wanted to do the 'Stampeed and fish the Bow river. Previous trips have been moving and helping friends move. Now just for fun. We hunt Kansas Nov-January and plan to visit friends in the Great Lakes area. Reviews seem mostly negative but people seem mostly negative too! Merry Christmas

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uncas;
Thanks for the reply and further information sir.

My goodness do I hear you on reviews! laugh

We stayed at the Key-Oh Lodge in Burns Lake for instance and it was fine. They even had a bit of choice for breakfast when we took off next morning and it was edible and the coffee drinkable, you know? When we got back and read some of the reviews we wondered if we were in the same place. wink

Again we were surprised to find next to not much available in Prince George on a Thursday night so why exactly that was I'm still not sure, but we were glad we'd booked ahead of time rather than driving around when we got there.

While the entire trip from Prince Rupert to Calgary is pretty, from Prince George east is to me really nice country with some stunning views. There's less wildlife for sure than say the Alaska Highway, but we saw black bears and deer on that leg of the trip this summer. We headed towards home at Valemont of course.

If I can be of any further help please drop a PM if you're inclined and I'll do my best to see what I can do.

Merry Christmas to you folks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
O K.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
MANY MANY years ago, we took the ferry to Prince Rupert and drove from there,
We got weathered in in Smithers, BC, i highly recommend getting weathered in there!!! I absolutely loved Smithers.
Beautiful drive, super nice people, clean hotel, wonderful..

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We took BC Ferries south to Vancouver Island. I kept the wife up on deck, telling her the Inside Passage was main scenic view of the Alaska cruise lines. When we go north for hunting, we try to avoid staying in Prince George, it has a crime problem.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
We took BC Ferries south to Vancouver Island. I kept the wife up on deck, telling her the Inside Passage was main scenic view of the Alaska cruise lines. When we go north for hunting, we try to avoid staying in Prince George, it has a crime problem.

When I lived in Comox, I couldn't get my wife to stand on the deck. She is petrified of water. She hung out at the munchie bar (her term for it) and would buy a magazine. She bought a book about NB killer Alan Legere on the ferry heading to Nanaimo.

We lived in Chatham NB when Legere was killing everything that got in his way. Chatham was the murder capital of Canada in the mid to late 1980s. We got transferred to Comox in 1988. He was convicted of a few murders but escaped custody for a while. We found it odd that we lived through that whole thing in NB, but found a book about it on a BC ferry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,412
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.