Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd
The all-new 2023 Frontier is likely a far better truck than the Tacoma.

Fwiw, I'm a devoted 2020 Toyota Tundra owner (and Lexus and Toyota Yaris) and huge fan--other than the disastrous rollout of the new '22 Tundra--and all of the reading I've done shows a fabulous new truck by Nissan. If people really compare them the Nissan will enjoy great sales.

We get the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' thinking, but the '23 Tacoma is yesterday's news until Toyota gets done reaming people with dated technology and old sheetmetal.
That said, apparently Toyota is FINALLY offering a new Taco for '24, time will tell.

When one or the other, maybe both, come up with better looking front end/grill treatments I may consider buying a new truck.

Those things are just fugly.

For now, I think I'll stick with the '02 Tacoma and be happy. Probably need to send the driver's side seat to Higgenz's pop for new upholstery soon. 260K miles is a lot of wear on a fabric seat. Probably get a rebuilt or used engine when this one goes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB4

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.

Frontier frames rust out faster than Tacomas?

😂
I have 200K on my 2012 Tacoma with 6 of those years in probably the worst road salt are in the country. No frame rust.
Toyota replaced those rusted frame years too BTW. Most every other auto company would not do that.
I have absolutely tortured my Tacoma and subjected it to stuff you guys will never do. The only parts it has ate is a serpentine belt a set of front brakes and tires.

Most of you pick trucks like a city slicker women would.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/25/22.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love my 2010 Frontier. It is not possible that the Tacoma is any better. 87,000 miles and no problems. You need to haul 1,500 pounds of gravel, this truck has done it 25 times. This in a half-ton truck. Real good for firewood too.

Took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip out to Yellowstone in the Jap truck, she says the Frontier is more comfortable than her Lexus.

I just installed the studded tires last week, this truck owns the mountains in the ice and snow.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Aviator
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Aviator
I bought a new Toyota 4wd in 1987 didn’t even make 100k miles and the frame rusted out. Not a bit of rust on my 2011 Frontier yet.

Had an 89 - 125k miles in WI before totaled. Zero frame issues
Had a 97 - 187k miles before totaled. Zero frame issues
Have a 22 - 2400 miles, frozen in my driveway today - I've not started it since Tuesday. SERIOUSLY doubt I'll have issue. No frame issues.

Then again - I'll wash mine from time to time.

I think late 1988 is when Toyota fixed the frame issue.. they had a recall on some of the vin numbers from 85-88.
I've got an 88 4 Runner I bought brand new, with 2 miles on the odometer....
Kept it out of most of the winter salted roads, even if I had to garage it all winter....

Still own that truck.... last new vehicle I ever purchased.. It is sitting in the driveway, off the road for the winter, since Oregon started putting salt on the roads.... Its got 590K on the vehicle now...Original engine, trans etc....Mobil ONE and Delvac 1 is the oil most commonly used in it... 20,000 mile oil drains... new filter every 5K until I started using Mobil 1 filters quite a while ago, when they came out and Wally Mart had them available.

Don't care for a Datsun whatsoever...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the nissan has got to be the ugleist pickup ever designed. last few years they have gotten worse.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal, I’ve almost got my new taco satisfactory with all the youtube cheat codes,Bank’s Pedal Monster, and removal of the underhood beeper and the inside beeper behind the instruments.

Changing the Cruise Control from Radar to Conventional was a biggie for me too.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 12/26/22.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My '05 4.0/6spd Crew Cab 4x2 was driven hard, beat on at times, 10 years and 200K miles.

Cam chain shoes when bad, replaced under warranty in a few days.

Pinion seal leaked, replaced it myself.

PDC went bad and left me stranded at a gas station, replace under warranty in a few days.

Cam chain shoes went bad again about 110K miles and I drove it rattling until 195K miles and replaced them myself, eight hours total and a few hundred dollars.

Drivers door window motor went bad, replaced it myself.

If I wanted another small truck I would buy another, but an automatic.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
The all-new 2023 Frontier is likely a far better truck than the Tacoma.

Fwiw, I'm a devoted 2020 Toyota Tundra owner (and Lexus and Toyota Yaris) and huge fan--other than the disastrous rollout of the new '22 Tundra--and all of the reading I've done shows a fabulous new truck by Nissan. If people really compare them the Nissan will enjoy great sales.

We get the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it,' thinking, but the '23 Tacoma is yesterday's news until Toyota gets done reaming people with dated technology and old sheetmetal.
That said, apparently Toyota is FINALLY offering a new Taco for '24, time will tell.

A new Tacoma for 2024? I wonder how much uglier it will be? If the rest of the toyota fleet is any indication, the Tacoma will go from unattractive to "WTF?", like the Tundra and every other toyota did in recent years. Toyota pledged to move away from boring styling, but went straight to OMG.

If the new Tacoma gets the same treatment as the new Tundra, it'll be an ugly, plastic bumpered street queen geared towards people who would find a car more suitable to them, but want to own a truck to join the club.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I love my 2010 Frontier. It is not possible that the Tacoma is any better. 87,000 miles and no problems. You need to haul 1,500 pounds of gravel, this truck has done it 25 times. This in a half-ton truck. Real good for firewood too.

Took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip out to Yellowstone in the Jap truck, she says the Frontier is more comfortable than her Lexus.

I just installed the studded tires last week, this truck owns the mountains in the ice and snow.

Looks like your truck is sitting just below the Redmon Dam along the French Broad River?

grin

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BIGR

Looks like your truck is sitting just below the Redmon Dam along the French Broad River?

grin

WTF? I mean WTF?? How in the world did you know that?

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hmm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by BWalker
How is the turning radius? On the previous generation, it was school bus like. Other than that my Frontier was superior to the Tacoma it replaced in every way that mattered to me. Better price, better fuel economy, more comfortable and quieter.
All that might be true, but Nissan trucks are not in the same league reliability wise.

Interesting that you mention that. My Tacoma went to the shop for a valve spring recall of some sort. Got it back and it pinged like crazy. That's when I got rid of it and got the Frontier.
Paul

do Toyota products act like Ruger products around you? wink

My special luck never leaves my side.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

grin

Thats that sloping Redmon Bridge in the background.....
laugh

NEVER GIVE UP
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

grin

laugh

Do you live on Bear Creek Rd?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

grin

laugh

Do you live on Bear Creek Rd?

No I don't live on Bear Creek Road, but somewhere around SEPT. 1990 or 1991, I camped right there near where your truck is. Fished that river a few times also. I can drive those roads almost blindfolded, back in the day I traveled Little Pine, Pa Paw, all those roads, very familiar with the area. Use to short cut up Bear Creek to SR1001 when I was going to Haywood CO.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a 2023 Frontier Pro-4X Crew cab today. I owned a 2015 Tacoma but could never get comfortable during road trips. This Frontier has great leg room and the seats feel quite comfortable. Big V6 produces good hp and torque, mated to a 9 speed transmission. Towing capacity is well over 6,000 lbs. I'm excited to pick it up and feel good about the decision.

There is a back story on why I'm buying a mid sized pickup but I'll not go into that here.

Merry Christmas all!!

Pics and updates when you get a few miles clocked appreciated!

O
OSU_Sig Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Will do broomd.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, let us know how it goes. I've got 320k on my 2012 frontier, and it's getting kinda tired. Hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it, then will likely be looking for a newer frontier. I've been very pleased with this truck, hoping the newer generation turns out as well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
99' 239K
ONLY maintenance:
Replaced the distributor and all associated with that[plugs/wires/rotor/d-cap] last year.
My 5th Datsun/Nissan, all have been virtualy the same/same maintenance wise.
This one spent 4 years as a 'bear/hound' truck, which was rough on it.
Now my daily driver.
FYI- I have nothing against Toyota as a Celica-GT and Supra we owned were two of my favorite cars ever.

FJB & FJT
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Two years back I rented a Frontier Pro 4-X Crew Cab for a 10 day hunting trip having a new Colorado ZR2 I wanted to see in my ZR2 was worth the extra $$$$$

To start off I was impressed on how well it ran, and it rode fine had 4x4 Low and locking diff's front and rear similar to my Colorado ZR2.

Things I noticed was ZR2 shifts into 4x4 high and 4x4 low much smoother than the Frontier, the Frontiers locking diff's would not always lock never an issue with the ZR2.

Cab features and comfort was much lower in the Frontier than the ZR2's leather seats, etc but to be fair did ZR2 cost nearly $10k more.

Overall I felt it wasn't a bad truck for the money.

Ted
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,969
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.