Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by jwp475
Let's say that you need 20 MOA adjustment at 1,000 yard which is 209.44" of vertical correction. If your scope adjusts in IPHYthwn you are only correcting for 200", a difference of 9.44 inches
What if you got your corrections in MILs and your scope is MRAD?

What if your scope is advertised as [something] but the thread pitch is off?

In all 3 cases, the solution is the same.

What is your solution for the POS scope

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Something to think about: With respect to movement of POI on the vertical plane of the target, does each successive milliradian of "up" produce the same vertical displacement increment?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's say that you need 20 MOA adjustment at 1,000 yard which is 209.44" of vertical correction. If your scope adjusts in IPHYthwn you are only correcting for 200", a difference of 9.44 inches
What if you got your corrections in MILs and your scope is MRAD?

What if your scope is advertised as [something] but the thread pitch is off?

In all 3 cases, the solution is the same.
What is your solution for the POS scope
Start crankin' elevation! smile
Record your zeros.
Update your calcs.
If you don't like it, get a new scope.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Something to think about: With respect to movement of POI on the vertical plane of the target, does each successive milliradian of "up" produce the same vertical displacement increment?

Depends right? With a quality scope - the crosshairs should have moved that 1 MRAD. Does the bullet actually go there? That's more a function of the quality of rifle/ammo/operator than if they were/were not using MRAD, MOA, IPHY etc - right?

You move the scope with the understanding, hope and assumption that "all else equal" - the bullet will land POA/POI with the adjustment. It's why people spend thousands on equipment, to remove as much variability out of that so if it DOESN'T move up the 1 mil requested - you have reason to believe it's you, not the Cricket you're shooting off the hood of a Chevette at 1000 yards.

Me

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not talking about equipment quality. My question is a mathematical one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's one reason why good equipment and DOPE is important. (Data Of Previous Engagements)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's one reason why good equipment and DOPE is important. (Data Of Previous Engagements)

That's not what I'm going for. Imagine the equipment is perfect.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
MRAD stands for Milliradian (abbreviation MIL) and represents 1⁄1000 of a radian. 0.1 MRAD/MIL is 1 cm at 100 m and is suitable for those using the metric system. If you take it exactly though, 0.1 MIL (NATO) is actually 0.98 MRAD. However, Schmidt & Bender uses MRAD as well as MIL for exactly 1 cm at 100 m

So about .358 at 💯 yards

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's not what I'm going for. Imagine the equipment is perfect.
OK. It should produce the same vertical displacement if your ammo and other equipment is capable of zero vertical dispersion and all else is equal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, it can't, mathematically speaking.

The math of the situation is the interval [0, π/2) is being mapped onto the interval [0, infinity), so there must be some uneven dilation.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be too hard on her,as she's simply a Lying Fhuqking Piece Of CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

Bless her poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The math of the situation is the interval [0, π/2) is being mapped onto the interval [0, infinity), so there must be some uneven dilation.
I'm not following the formulas, so please let me know how far of base I am. You stated up and POI, so I want say each unit clicked for up would be less cause it's farther way.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm addressing a mathematical subtlety, nothing to worry about in reasonable applications.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by taylorce1
To me Mils are Mils, but trying to get others to grasp the concept seems difficult.

Wonder why. You just need a ruler (your reticle) with some built-in measurement system (any measurement system) and you'll be golden. The ballistics calculator speeds up the math, but you're still "doing" math...Elemental math.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
What I don't understand is a MOA/MIL reticle and twisting turrets. If you twist turrets and hold on the middle, the the rest of the reticle (at least vertically) is not necessary. I can see one or the other being beneficial, but both is redundant.
Lol don’t say that. Most guys here don’t have the terrain or distance to even need it. Besides even if you’re hunting in the western mountains it’s more likely than not to not even need to dial. I have many rifles with turrets on them. Frankly I really only need 2 if I had to, One for my rock chuck rifle and the other for my big game rifle. On the rock chuck rifle I use it to about 500 yards and I hold for wind in chuck increments. Ie a chuck or chuck and a half wind hold etc. the big game rifle it’s likely to not even spin the turret and if I do for a long shot across a canyon it’s only 1 shot I hope

People act like all this whiz bang reticles are needed to take 1 shot. Talking about using the reticle as a ruler etc, lol. It’s like they never experienced recoil. You can tell very few actually shoot in the field and mostly range shoot. Simply because few have access to public lands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow.

Just dial the range. It's how the Big Boys play.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm addressing a mathematical subtlety, nothing to worry about in reasonable applications.

Mental masturbation

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Wow.

Yep on public land too and not with first focal plane. While I don’t agree with burns on a lot. They at least know long range hunting in Wyoming. How do they make the shots without it being mil and first focal plane?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Wow.

Yep on public land too and not with first focal plane. While I don’t agree with burns on a lot. They at least know long range hunting in Wyoming. How do they make the shots without it being mil and first focal plane?

I've got just two questions.........

Is Burns a cowboy?

And.......are you Cummins in him?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 10 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,511
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.