Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
copper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
With the 300 RemingtonWith Ulta Mag has any one heard of any ejection problems with the spent shells because of the shell not having a belted case?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be surprised to hear of ejection problems due to the belt, since it has nothing to do with ejection. More chance of problems due to the extractor claw needing a little adjustment or a bit of copper caught in the ejection pin hole.

Since the Ultra Mags are based on a larger case (404 Jeffery), the base is larger than the standard magnum cases and the bolt face and extractor claw need to be opened up slightly from the factory to accomodate this case. If either isn't accomplished correctly, this will affect ejection and/or extraction.- Sheister

Last edited by Sheister; 07/24/03.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
DFC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Winchester M70 with the classic action and a Remington Sendero, both in 300 Ultra. Both work slick as s$#%*, never heard of a problem from anyone. Furthermore there is no reason there should be a problem.

Dan

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen ejections problems with a 338 Ultra. It wouldn't eject loaded rounds unless you pulled the bolt handle back slowly. Releiving the aft aprt of the ejection port fixed that.

Blainr

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Have seen a couple RUMs do what you describe.
Could never figure out why they did it because like DFC says there is no reason for it to happen.

Although this picture is on a 308, we are doing all our RUMs this way now. It seems to have cured or helped the problem especially during rapid bolt manipulation.

For some reason this 308 shown would do what you described when the shooter, who is an LE sniper would practice rapid fire.

Now no problem occurs and you could set a tea cup to where the brass falls and catch every round.

The 308 has a factory extractor and ejector in it as well, so we know it is not because of a Sako ext. or something.
That was the first 308 I ever saw it happen to.

Not saying this is for sure the cure, but it seems to work and we are going to test further in time.

Celt

IC B2

DFC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never run down a Remington product, ever! I have however cut the ejection spring on several Remington rifles in the past. It seems that when the case or bullet clears the barrel it moves to the right and hits the inside of the action rail with such force it can and will cause the case head to reposition itself on the bolt face and help create the problem described.
I have a problem with the ejection on a SA Remington I chambered to 300 Whisper, the case jumps out of the extractor as soon as the case mouth clears the barrel, works fine with a loaded round. I know Remington chambers the 221 in the classic, wonder what they changed? I've cut the spring several times and it will still jump out. without the ejector spring installed the case stays on the extractor and can be removed with your finger.

Dan

copper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the replies, I have bought this caliber in a Sako 75 stainless steel hunting rifle and I have not had a chance yet to try the same.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

The problem with my 338 RUM ............If the bolt was pulled back too fast, the ejector wouldn't have time to throw the case clear before the case head was well recessed into the aft portion of the receiver. This would cause the case to hit the insider of the aft portion of the ejection port. When the bolt handle was slowly pulled back, the ejector had time to throw the case clear before the case was too far back on the receiver. This was only a problem with loaded rounds.

I received a 280 Ack in partial trade for my 338 RUM. The 280 Ack has a peculiar quirk. When ejecting empty cases that are fully fireformed, the ejector pushes them so hard against the inside of the receiver there is a "catch" in the bolt when pulling it back. In fact, if you pull it back slowly, the bolt will stop. The shoulder is lodging in the right side bolt raceway. It does not do this with std 280 Rem cases. Would installing a weaker ejector spring fix this? Is there a fix?

Blaine

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (338Rules, 6mmbrfan, atvalaska, 9 invisible), 928 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.