Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A really quick look is a shocker!! Stocks are always low in January as suppliers and retail stores wait for the 2023 releases, but wow.

I looked at these three cartridges because they used to be cheap and plentiful. No more!

30-30 (20 bullets)

Remington 30-30 170 gr. - 30.00 to 38.00
Federal 30-30 170 gr. - 27.00

Hornady everything over $40.

303 British (20 bullets)

Prvi and S&B 150 gr - $27.00

Hornady Custom Rifle 303 British 150 Gr InterLock® SP Ammunitions - $53.95

223 Rem (20 bullets)

Win and Rem 55 gr no name factory bullets - $24.00
With Sierra, VMax or other brand name bullets - $38.00 and up
223 match - $55.00 and up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
you need to expand your ammo search

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
you need to expand your ammo search

These prices are from Canadian Tire, Cabelas and a few other places locally. I reload and rarely buy factory loads. It shocked me because I bought a bunch of 30-30 ammunition about two years ago. All were less than $20.

The shelves at Cdn Tire were low, as was the Cabelas when I drove down to Barrie. Bulk 223 is not particularly cheap either, but if you don't reload, is the best way to buy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
A really quick look is a shocker!! Stock are always low in January as suppliers and retail stores wait for the 2023 releases, but wow.

I looked at these three cartridges because they used to be cheap and plentiful. No more!

30-30 (20 bullets)

Remington 30-30 170 gr. - 30.00 to 38.00
Federal 30-30 170 gr. - 27.00

Hornady everything over $40.

303 British (20 bullets)

Prvi and S&B 150 gr - $27.00

Hornady Custom Rifle 303 British 150 Gr InterLock® SP Ammunitions - $53.95

223 Rem (20 bullets)

Win and Rem 55 gr no name factory bullets - $24.00
With Sierra, VMax or other brand name bullets - $38.00 and up
223 match - $55.00 and up.

Hi Steve,
Those prices are in line with what I am finding here in SE Alberta at Cdn Tire and my local LGS. I haven't been to Calgary in a few months so I can't comment about Cabelas or Bass Pro etc. I do recall Bass Pro having the most limited amount of ammo I have ever seen. Cabelas was well stocked but pricey. The LGS's I visit there were pricey with a variety of stock but, like I said, it was several months ago.

Late to the game but, I received my first reloading set up for Christmas this year. Tracking down primers, powder etc is a challenge but, I suspected it would be.
My impetus to start loading is based in the Trudeau handgun ban. I have a couple 44 carbines I love to shoot. I see the day where, due to the ban, 44 Mag ammo will dry up. So, my initial plan is to stock up on supplies to keep me from running dry. Thanks to a couple friends, I am off to a good start. Let the adventure begin!
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Jeff. I’m really hoping that component and factory ammunition prices will drop after the Russia/Ukraine conflict is over.

Because I reload, store prices of factory ammunition aren’t much of a concern, but it genuinely looks like they have doubled.

Every hunter and shooter has to look everywhere now, in search of what they need. Being able to support your local shop is great, but getting supplies is spotty.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,

Great topic BTW.

Prices have definitely doubled or, come close to it. I'm glad I have always kept a solid supply of ammo on hand.
Once the world returns to "normal", I suspect that prices will come down again, or at least not increase. Components
should become available to re-load too.

As I delve into the re-loading world, I expect the search for components to be just as challenging as locating factory loads.
At this point though, because I have a good stash of ammo, my only worry is, as a writer, locating ammo for gun reviews.
Last year, I was sent a Big Horn Armory 500 S&W rifle to work with. Cool gun BTW.
Locating ammo was a challenge for sure then I purchased too much if there is such a thing LOL. I now have 28 rounds on hand but no rifle
as I had to sent it onward. Hopefully I'll come across another opportunity to work with that caliber again.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks.

This component drought is the worst that I have seen. That will definitely hurt your chances of conducting a review.

Years back, it was much easier because either suppliers or the companies themselves could send what you needed. Reviews were easier when companies could simply fire off a letter or email asking if you were interested in performing a product evaluation. GS Custom, Hawk and others used to do this with me. When international shipping regulations changed, accomplishing product reviews became difficult or impossible.

Still, you might consider contacting the Cdn suppliers or importers of what you need. Sometimes, they will funnel items up via an importer for you. It is less likely that they can deliver right now, but it never hurts to ask. Put a bug in their ear.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Since my brother asked, I stopped by my local SW to check on prices for both 6.5 and 300 PRC ammo. He's been mulling over buying something in PRC.

When I relayed the prices to him he decided mulling things over some more don't cost him 'nothin....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,
I did use a couple of connections to acquire the needed ammo, was the only way to source the stuff. Having a good working relationship with them is critical these days.
Takes awhile and they are only able to source enough for the project. Kudos to these folks for helping out. I know they are working hard to bring stuff in for consumers as well. (Getting off topic a wee tad)
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Puddle,

It sure is a shock to the system! Things will get better soon.

Jeff,

There are some nice people working hard to move things along. They don’t get the recognition they deserve. That might be a line or two in your story?

All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been checking ammo prices at Cdn Tire on a semi-regular basis ever since they got back into that market several years ago. I do that to remind myself of one important reason why I got into handloading over 40 years ago... since I'd been shooting several thousand rounds through my big game rifles on a yearly basis, plus some smaller stuff in .223. The only factory ammo purchased for anything in the past 40+ years has been in 12ga and .22LR.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Bob. I never thought to check the 22LR. I have a Model 60 Marlin and a CZ 452, but I haven't used either in over a year. It will be interesting to see the prices of 22WMR as well. I have a Marlin 883 that I used to take rabbit and fox hunting. That hasn't been out for a while either! If nothing else, it's an excuse to go for a walk in the woods when it's nice out.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Puddle,

It sure is a shock to the system! Things will get better soon.

Jeff,

There are some nice people working hard to move things along. They don’t get the recognition they deserve. That might be a line or two in your story?

All the best.

Hi Steve,
Most definitely some good, hard working folks in the industry. You are right, they don't get the recognition they should. I'll be speaking with a number of them next week at SHOT regarding an article I'm looking at about the industry itself.
Have a great day,
Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven't checked the price of 22 LR in a while as I am well stocked.
The price of 17 HMR at Cdn Tire last week was around $30.00/50.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hi Steve,

Most definitely some good, hard working folks in the industry. You are right, they don't get the recognition they should. I'll be speaking with a number of them next week at SHOT regarding an article I'm looking at about the industry itself.

Have a great day,

Jeff

I hope you have a great time. I haven't gone to SHOT for years. The first time was in the 1990s when the sqn was visiting Nellis AFB. I had just started my website and was doing my first book. I thought they would reject me because the book wasn't published quite yet, but everything worked out. Lots of fond memories of Vegas and not one was connected to the strip.

Working the flightline at Nellis when we attended a few Red Flags, hearing about a mysterious installation that supposedly housed UFOs and Hoover dam were my favourite memories. What turned out to be Area 51 was the worst kept secret at the base. It seemed that every serviceman there knew about it. They always pointed out the planes that carried employees to Area 51 from the base. I'm not sure if it was the same aircraft, but we saw one with blacked out windows. Strange.

I wasn't a fan of the shuttle buses moving us around from our hotel to SHOT, but I don't think I'd want to drive downtown. Enjoy! I hope you get to play tourist too!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Steve,

This is my second time going. Went the first time in 2020 just before the world crashed LOL. Was an interesting time, learned plenty etc. I was encouraged by a couple of writers and an editor to start going. 2021 they did an online version that was OK. Was going to go last year but cancelled at the last minute due to confusion over C-19 testing getting home.

Most of my previous writing was fly-fishing/tying oriented but I realized I was missing out on opportunities by not writing about firearms/hunting so I started to contribute there as well. There I was, hunting and working on my firearms as well for friends but not writing about it. I should have been covering those topics as well the fly stuff.

Nellis AFB is an interesting place. We stopped there for a day when I did my check flight on the Air Med Evac course. Busy place to be sure.

Not sure if I'll have time to play tourist as I have a number of meetings arranged each day. Should prove to be a worthwhile week.

Thanks,
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Have fun. Maybe you can post something here about your trip, or just shoot me an email.

Chat soon.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Steve,
Sounds good, I'll keep you in the loop. The show is shaping up to be interesting for sure.
Not sure if I have your email though. I'll shoot you a PM with mine this evening.
Have a great day,
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been buying Winchester SuperX Power Points 180gr .30-06 for my BSA P17 for over 20 years at Canadian Tire because my rifle loves them and is a tack driver with them and they are lethal. I Have always paid $28.00 per box,

For the fun of it I just checked to see how much they are today at Canadian Tire, $51.99!

WOW!!

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/12/23.

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FJT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 19 invisible), 15,050 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.