Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
My son and I are putting in with 16 & 15 non-resident points. Plan on going outfitter/horseback into a wilderness area adjacent to Yosemite Park. Still need to draw tags and the point creep is a potential problem. We have good rifle dates: Oct 1 - 6. Get tags first and worry about gear later.

I wish you good luck. I would like to read your AAR upon your return and or talk to you by phone when you get back. Are you going Fall 2023?

Aren't you an Outfitter or Guide in Alaska? If yes, please drop me a PM.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

GB1

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Westman
Maybe not Yosemite??

:-)

Could he mean Yellowstone ?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
If you had maximum points, which unit would you want to hunt?

Which Tier 1 Wyoming Trophy Outfitter would you want to go with?

Which Hunt dates would be most advantageous for a monster Elk?

Equipment Recommendations: Any tips are appreciated particularly for Boots / Pac Boots, Coats Fleece vs. Wool or anything else to keep you warm and dry you wish to share.

It seems Woolrich has gone woke and I don't even think they make their Hunting coat anymore. Filson raised their prices $100 last year and I hear the quality is not what it used to be after they were bought out.

Anyone have any experience with this Wool Coat?
https://micklagaard.com/en-us/collections/jackets-1/products/jacka-kebne?variant=31604037746821

How cold does it get on a late season hunt?
Did you get the coat? I'm intrigued by it

No, I wanted to see if anyone here had tried it out and if the members here thought it might be a good idea. Apparently, the preference here is for low weight , high warmth / high tech instead of the durability of Wool. I thought with the horse doing much of the work, it might now matter if my coat was heavy or not. Being out there from sunup to sundown and being comfortable enough is important.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Not trying to insult anyone, but a Top Tier outfitter in the glamour areas/ranches or seasons is going to be 10-16k for a trophy hunt.

A pack in thorofare hunt on a general license a little less. Just to get that out of the way. Maybe that's no big deal, but it is a serious chunk of change for lots of people.

And lots of the good outfitters are booked up pretty good.

It can be dang cold on a late season or just cool. There is zero chance I'm wearing those wool coats on that kind of hunt, or really any kind in Wyoming. A giant down puffy is lighter and warmer.

Ralphie, I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think it is a lot of money for anyone. The one Outfitter I did speak to is at $15K, which I do have and I know what I am getting into. I have been on enough Guided hunts in Alaska, Mexico and most of the Canadian provinces to have learned the hard way the time is be cautious and do your research is now, not after things didn't work out or you got screwed. So, I am in the research phase now and won't be going this year. A weeks ago I thought I would go this year, but now I can see not this year.

I am only going to do this once more for Elk, so I want the best Area, Best Outfitter, the best timing to give me the best possible chance to shoot a monster, hopefully B and C Elk.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I appreciate everyone input and opinion. Thank You.

While I have everyone actively talking about Wyoming. I have also been applying for the Moose and Sheep and will soon be going for those as well. Anyone with any input into a Trophy area for those 2 animals and a Trophy outfitter for Wyoming Sheep and Moose please chime in. I would like to read your input.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might talk to Chance at extreme outfitters. I don’t think it’ll be a backcountry hunt but they kill big stuff.

With regards to the wool or puffys. Don’t necessarily judge the best clothes by what the outfitter wears. I still see guides wearing filson tin pants, rubber cowboy boot covers, and jean jackets. I wear a down puffy on long rides all the time in some of the same country you are talking about. I used to wear wool too. There’s lots mo better now. But you can sure get it done with wool.

Sorry to bring up the budget deal. Guys are always asking about reasonable (cheap is what they usually mean) hunts.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Ralphie,
Who do you like for thoroughfare hunts?

I've been noodling a bit on those.

Thanks.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ralph, I am used to hiking, I have not done a horseback type hunt and that is why I ask so many questions about the gear. I know 150 years ago many of the guys living and working in the mountains were using Wool and it worked for them, but they do not have the options we have today. Everything has its place. When I used to hunt Saskatchewan, I did not wear Wool, but some did wear King of the Mountain, which is good stuff as long as it is not too windy. But, others went for high tech and wore Northern Outfitters or the locals wore Raven Wear of Canada, which is what I bought and can wear on this hunt, it is an option. It does not compress to put in a pack is the main downside.

I don't mind discussing budget. These guys sure are getting telephone numbers for fees in todays world. I understand with inflation and their costs are high, but I feel that their prices increased faster than inflation has over the last 20 years. In the 90s I was going on 5 Guided hunts per year in the Fall. Now, that would be unaffordable or just plain not worth it to me. I don't want to go with a cheap Outfitter then it doesn't work out the way I want and I will regret it and this is my final chance to get a B.&C. Bull, due to todays prices we are talking about.

Which units does Extreme Outfitters hunt in? I would much prefer to spend around $10K, but in the prime areas I want to hunt in I don't believe that is possible.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wytex
Big bulls in the Thoroughfare area and in area 7 with Wagonhound.
7 has the rep for big bulls but they can be found all over the state.
Best outfitters are booked for a few years out, maybe willing to PP share and get in earlier?

Several good outfitters in area 7 to choose from also, not just Wagonhound.

It looks like area 59-1 may be my focus to try to spot an exceptional animal crossing the thoroughfare leaving Yellowstone and passing by. I expect to sit on a mountain top for 7 days or more, with my Spotting Scope letting many Bulls walk on by as my guide tells me field scoring until the right one crosses, while my Coat and Pac Boots try to keep me from freezing.

I looked at Shoshone Lodge Outfitters web site who say they take Bulls in the 350 class. The picture on their web site has to be a monster of 385 or more, big difference.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
No, I wanted to see if anyone here had tried it out and if the members here thought it might be a good idea. Apparently, the preference here is for low weight , high warmth / high tech instead of the durability of Wool. I thought with the horse doing much of the work, it might now matter if my coat was heavy or not. Being out there from sunup to sundown and being comfortable enough is important.

Probably the one downside to current lightweight clothing will be durability, you may be right about that.

I grew up horsepacking for elk. I guided in Colorado and New Mexico for 35 years. I did it for the fun of it rather than the money because my day job paid more than guiding ever will. The clothing I'm wearing today is probably 1/3rd the weight of what I was wearing 30-40 years ago. My rifle is a whole lot lighter too. I was just looking at my "frigid weather" wool pants hanging in my outdoor clothing closet that I haven't worn in 20+ years. The chances of me ever wearing those again are nil.

About the time a guy thinks he going to shoot an elk with the horse nearby is the time he ends up in a elk race to the top of the ridge and finally gets back to the horses 6 hours later.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get some good Sitka pants or the like, the colder weather ones and go with merino under layers, various weights.
A puffy goes under a tougher out layer and would be very warm without weight.
For a good wool coat look on Ebay for a King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian.
Wool socks ands good insulated boots are all needed for the feet.
Gaiters for snow or wet grass.

TurkeyTrack outfitter, Elk Mountain Outfitters, Rockin' 7 and Cross C ranch also work in area 7.
Triple Creek Hunts has ground in another good trophy area. None are like Thorofare Hunts, wilderness type hunts.
These are SE Wyoming outfitters and the hunting is not wilderness type of hunts, many will be ranches on rugged ground.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went on a horse back hunt in Wyoming this past year. I do not think that wilderness hunt and monster bulls go hand in hand, as a result. We all took respectable five points, and Im not a bit unhappy but if I wanted a monster bull I'd be on a private ranch someplace. YMMV

I took a Sitka whitetail jacket, a wool sweater, two wool shirts, two pairs of pants, and two sets of wool under layers. I was never wishing I had more clothes and spent alot of time in just shirt sleeves. October 7-13 at 8-10,000 feet. The group before us had much more snow and cold than we did. We dealt in mud as a result of melting snow.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those wilderness hunts aren’t usually for big bulls until you are talking the late seasons with lots of cold and snow.

It’s been about 4 years since I was guiding in there but I think Yellowstone outfitters is a good one though I hear they are booked for quite awhile. There are other good places in there too

Cold zero. For clothes on a horseback hunt I view it as I’m going to take similar stuff that the hikers take with the luxury of not having to pay so much attention to weight. But it’s still important. I don’t get into the trendy expensive brands. I hunted elk late October through late December here and never wore wool besides merino long handles and socks. Down and synthetic puffys. Merino and synthetic base layers. Grid fleece. Fleece lined hiking pants. Currently considering some puffy pants.

Josh martoglio was mentioned above. I think he’s an excellent choice for elk and sheep.

Extreme outfitters hunts several elk units. Give them a call and tell him your situation. They hunt sheep deer and antelope too. The owner just killed a bomber moose. They’ll book up. As Josh probably will too.

Shoshone mtn lodge was also mentioned and they should be considered for both a late season elk and probably sheep.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/10/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto the wilderness hunts not being first choice for truly big bulls. They are there for sure but private land or ridiculously hard draws are the ticket for those kinds of bulls without spending weeks scouting and hunting.

Call me weird, but I still way, way prefer quality wool to synthetics for the really cold, below freezing hunts. If rain and/or slush is in the mix, then synthetics do come into play for me. I don’t mind the extra weight and slight restriction of movement of quality wool for the most part, most especially if it is below 0 F and snow is on the ground. In those temps, I am head to toe in high quality wool. They both have their place but wetness is where I have found synthetics to be better.

One thing to keep in mind though is that even if you’re on horseback, weight should still be a consideration, somewhat. Those horses work HARD and keeping their loads somewhat light helps keep saddle sores down as well as keeping them in better working condition. The one exception to that is arsehole horses that need weight to get tired out and behave better. Sometimes that is called for.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Ditto the wilderness hunts not being first choice for truly big bulls. They are there for sure but private land or ridiculously hard draws are the ticket for those kinds of bulls without spending weeks scouting and hunting.

or.

I think the Thorofare calls to me just because of the history and romance of it all. I grew up reading about it and I'm 68 with 12 points and I hear the clock ticking.

I've been trying for a area 7 tag but point creep has me one behind each year. Just pondering on how best to use them.

Thanks to you and Ralphie for the thoughts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting that a lot of you guys are advocating wool. Around here and in the outfitter camps I guided in synthetics were a lot more popular, although often some wool clothing was part of our hunting attire.

T Inman,
Wet is exactly why I don't primarily wear wool. The new Merino wools are light years better than what I grew up and is slower to get wet, but once wet wool takes exponentially longer to dry than synthetics--and it loses much of its insulating ability. Plus at 66 years old the lightweight synthetics definitely makes it easier and uses less energy to traverse rough country.

As good as weather predicting has become in recent years sometimes it can be spectacularly wrong in the mountains. When I step out of the cabin/truck/tent I am prepared mentally and gear-wise to spend an unintentional night outside despite my best intentions. I don't want to be doing that with wet clothing that takes forever to dry.

An item of clothing that I haven't seen mentioned on the 'fire are the newish fleece lined pants. I have worn a pair of Mtn Hardwear pants elk hunting the last two years. The only time I wore a bottom base layer of silk under those pants was when I planned on taking a stand in the morning a couple times. Several of those mornings during each of these past two seasons temps were in the single digits when I started out. I am quite surprised at how well these pants have worked. Very temp regulating, warm when I need them but not suffocating me when climbing back out of the canyon in the afternoon. I have bought some cheaper ones for working around the house and plan on buying another pair or two of the more expensive ones for hunting.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Call me weird, but I still way, way prefer quality wool to synthetics for the really cold, below freezing hunts. If rain and/or slush is in the mix, then synthetics do come into play for me. I don’t mind the extra weight and slight restriction of movement of quality wool for the most part, most especially if it is below 0 F and snow is on the ground. In those temps, I am head to toe in high quality wool. They both have their place but wetness is where I have found synthetics to be better.

One thing to keep in mind though is that even if you’re on horseback, weight should still be a consideration, somewhat. Those horses work HARD and keeping their loads somewhat light helps keep saddle sores down as well as keeping them in better working condition. The one exception to that is arsehole horses that need weight to get tired out and behave better. Sometimes that is called for.

I'm booked for an early October pack-in rifle hunt (General license) and the outfitter has a 50 lb weight limit for gear (not including rifle and backpack).

One thing to consider also about Wyoming is that a lot of outfitters (at least mine anyway) have a hunt duration of 6 days.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wool does not lose it's insulating ability when wet, that is exactly what it is known for, warmth when wet. We wear wool when it's cold, not going to rain and the snow just sits on top of the better brands. It felts after time and becomes denser making it warmer and more wind blocking.

How many sheep PPs do you have Cold Zero, moose too ? We have many areas that are fine for DIY hunting. My B&C sheep is from one such area.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by wytex
Get some good Sitka pants or the like, the colder weather ones and go with merino under layers, various weights.
A puffy goes under a tougher out layer and would be very warm without weight.
For a good wool coat look on Ebay for a King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian.
Wool socks ands good insulated boots are all needed for the feet.
Gaiters for snow or wet grass.

TurkeyTrack outfitter, Elk Mountain Outfitters, Rockin' 7 and Cross C ranch also work in area 7.
Triple Creek Hunts has ground in another good trophy area. None are like Thorofare Hunts, wilderness type hunts.
These are SE Wyoming outfitters and the hunting is not wilderness type of hunts, many will be ranches on rugged ground.

I think I am looking for Northern Wyoming. Isnt area 59 Northern.

On Black Friday I bought a pair of Kuiu Attack Pants and my second pair of pants will be Wool, nice and loose with suspenders. KOM everyone is saying that it is heavy and with high wind the wind goes thru it. There does seem to be an even split in this topic about high tech synthetics vs. old school Wool. I believe based on this topic and the consensus here I won't buy the heavy Wool coat I link to at the top of this topic. I can see it sitting in a closet for many years once this hunt is over. I have a pair of Outdoor Research Gaiters to keep the snow out.

No one has recommended any boots yet. Anyone hav any opinion on Hoffman Double Insulated Pac boots vs. Schnees Hunter II or Extreme 10" ? Is a 0F boot rating enough ro should I go -20F ?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Westman

or.

I think the Thorofare calls to me just because of the history and romance of it all. I grew up reading about it and I'm 68 with 12 points and I hear the clock ticking.

I've been trying for a area 7 tag but point creep has me one behind each year. Just pondering on how best to use them.

Thanks to you and Ralphie for the thoughts.

Any word on whether the max points will go up or not in 2023 ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.