Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Would like your thoughts on the Python if you own one or have compared it to either the GP100 and/or the SW 686.

I already know that they are considerably more money than the Ruger/SW prices, so am more interested in your functionality/durability/dependability comments/thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Crab

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one of the new Pythons but haven't shot it enough to comment on "functionality/durability/dependability". For the shooting I have done, it's functioned fine. My only dislike is the single action trigger pull is stupid heavy though I understand that can be addressed. The double action pull is very smooth. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with cast bullets, specifically the 170 Keith. That bullet has a long nose and requires 38 Special cases to fit the shorter Python cylinder. I guess that could be a gripe for some...

I have owned GP100's and 586/686's and feel the Python was worth the extra $. I like it enough, I'm considering buying a new Anaconda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assume you are talking about the new Python?

Can't comment on the mechanics or the accuracy or the trigger, folks' opinions vary widely. I do have some first hand experience with that rear sight which is the same one they use on a Colt King Cobra Target.

That rear sight doesn't belong on anything named Python, or anything with the Colt name for that matter. It is a far cry from an Elliason or even an Accro rear sight, relying on a free turning windage screw with a tiny little set screw to hold the blade in place. It also wiggles.

Will freely admit that my objections may be more in theory than actual use, but will stick to my opinion that anything named "Colt" and especially anything with the pedigree of "Python" deserves a better rear sight.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JGray
I have one of the new Pythons but haven't shot it enough to comment on "functionality/durability/dependability". For the shooting I have done, it's functioned fine. My only dislike is the single action trigger pull is stupid heavy though I understand that can be addressed. The double action pull is very smooth. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with cast bullets, specifically the 170 Keith. That bullet has a long nose and requires 38 Special cases to fit the shorter Python cylinder. I guess that could be a gripe for some...

I have owned GP100's and 586/686's and feel the Python was worth the extra $. I like it enough, I'm considering buying a new Anaconda.

Thanks, JGray.
Glad to see that it does well with cast bullets.
Are the Keith 170's sized at .358" diameter, or are you customizing the diameter?

--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Assume you are talking about the new Python?

Can't comment on the mechanics or the accuracy or the trigger, folks' opinions vary widely. I do have some first hand experience with that rear sight which is the same one they use on a Colt King Cobra Target.

That rear sight doesn't belong on anything named Python, or anything with the Colt name for that matter. It is a far cry from an Elliason or even an Accro rear sight, relying on a free turning windage screw with a tiny little set screw to hold the blade in place. It also wiggles.

Will freely admit that my objections may be more in theory than actual use, but will stick to my opinion that anything named "Colt" and especially anything with the pedigree of "Python" deserves a better rear sight.

Thanks Jim,
Good info!

--- Will Rogers
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a new Python an old Python and a S&W686
First off I have had my 686 for years and have close to 10,000 rounds through it, will never sell it still works flawlessly, I did have a trigger job done on it many years ago.

My older Python shoots well but I don't shoot it too much because of the value.

My new Python out of the box was not very impressive, fit and finish was good it was the trigger.
to me the trigger sucks........had a trigger job done, now I Love the gun and only time will tell how it holds up

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Over the years, I've had three original Pythons. Currently, none.

They are excellent revolvers, if you understand the double action and operate it correctly. If you don't, you may not like what's referred to as "stacking" in the double action of a Colt trigger. To me, they feel great, and aid in accurate shooting.

It's largely a myth that they have delicate actions that go out of time easily. It's true that a more expert gunsmith is required to work on the action of a Colt, but they do not have any more tendency to go out of time than an S&W revolver, and generally when they do, it's the shooter's fault for thinking that the correct way to shoot it double action is to stage it. Routinely staging a Colt trigger in double action will eventually throw it out of time, and it's a completely improper technique to start with. A double action trigger pull, whether Colt or S&W, should be a smooth, nonstop, motion from start to finish.

They are excellent revolvers. It's unfortunate that they've become so wildly popular with collectors, since that puts them out of reach to ordinary shooters.

I cannot speak to the new Pythons, but doubt very much they compare well to the originals, even if they are fine revolvers in their own right.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everyone seems to be an Internet University graduate, but I will share opinions and experiences with a new Colt Python 6 inch and a new Colt Anaconda 8 inch. Both of these have over 500 rounds of fairly stout handloads fired in the last year. Accuracy of both is limited by the operator.
I have a Colt Gunshop Custom Python 6 inch Royal Blue purchased in 1982 that has killed pronghorn, elk, deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, rocks etc. I also have a Colt Gunshop Custom Anaconda 4 inch stainless purchased in 2000 that has several notches on its grip also.
The quality, fit and finish of the new guns are very good. Not the Royal Blue of the old models but quite acceptable.
The triggers, however, on both need some work to match up to or exceed the older guns. The factory sights on the new models seem to have been an afterthought. Trigger pull measurement as follows:

Gunshop Python SA 3lb 10 oz, DA 9lb 4 oz. Gunshop Anaconda SA 4lb 8 oz, DA 11 lb 8 oz. Both of these are as delivered from Colt.

New Python (factory) SA 5 lb 14 oz, DA 9 lb 14 oz. New Anaconda (factory) SA 6 lb 3 oz, DA 9 lb 1 oz.00

Heffron Engineering: Python, SA 2 lb 6 oz, DA 9 lb 13 oz. Anaconda SA 2 lb 13 0z, DA 9 lb 13 oz

I also have a 4 inch GP100 that shoots very well and the trigger pull is SA 3 lb 1 oz, DA 6 lb 2 oz.

Both new Colts' double action pulls were smooth from the factory but when Mike Heffron was done, they were much better and trigger overtravel is now excellent.

I have Eliason sights on all my Colts and until recently they were not available for use on the new models. Wilson Combat listed them a month or so ago and I ordered one. I am not at home and have yet to see how they will work. Frankly, the sights on the new models are not up to the quality of the revolver.

HEFFRON PRECISION©

Osage, Iowa 50461

Phone: 1-641-732-0050

email: heffronprecisionoutlook.co.

Jess

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were in the market for a new .357 the Python would be my first stop. Nothing against the S&W or Ruger, I just like the Colt more.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive shot a few of the old ones.
My 69 six inch wears Kensight patridge front and full blade rear. Accro or Elliason I dont like.

Do tolerate the S&W standard rear sights.

If going to buy a .357 today Id get a pre lock 686.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had the 4” new model. Tried to love it. The rear sight is bs. The double action pull was like butter. Single action pull, for me, required an enormous amount of focus to shoot well. I was able to get several 1-1.25” groups at 25 yards with multiple loads. As the range increased, at least for me, so did the difficulty in maintaining in target hits. As sexy as it was, the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by autoshopteacher
Everyone seems to be an Internet University graduate, but I will share opinions and experiences with a new Colt Python 6 inch and a new Colt Anaconda 8 inch. Both of these have over 500 rounds of fairly stout handloads fired in the last year. Accuracy of both is limited by the operator.
I have a Colt Gunshop Custom Python 6 inch Royal Blue purchased in 1982 that has killed pronghorn, elk, deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, rocks etc. I also have a Colt Gunshop Custom Anaconda 4 inch stainless purchased in 2000 that has several notches on its grip also.
The quality, fit and finish of the new guns are very good. Not the Royal Blue of the old models but quite acceptable.
The triggers, however, on both need some work to match up to or exceed the older guns. The factory sights on the new models seem to have been an afterthought. Trigger pull measurement as follows:

Gunshop Python SA 3lb 10 oz, DA 9lb 4 oz. Gunshop Anaconda SA 4lb 8 oz, DA 11 lb 8 oz. Both of these are as delivered from Colt.

New Python (factory) SA 5 lb 14 oz, DA 9 lb 14 oz. New Anaconda (factory) SA 6 lb 3 oz, DA 9 lb 1 oz.00

Heffron Engineering: Python, SA 2 lb 6 oz, DA 9 lb 13 oz. Anaconda SA 2 lb 13 0z, DA 9 lb 13 oz

I also have a 4 inch GP100 that shoots very well and the trigger pull is SA 3 lb 1 oz, DA 6 lb 2 oz.

Both new Colts' double action pulls were smooth from the factory but when Mike Heffron was done, they were much better and trigger overtravel is now excellent.

I have Eliason sights on all my Colts and until recently they were not available for use on the new models. Wilson Combat listed them a month or so ago and I ordered one. I am not at home and have yet to see how they will work. Frankly, the sights on the new models are not up to the quality of the revolver.

HEFFRON PRECISION©

Osage, Iowa 50461

Phone: 1-641-732-0050

email: heffronprecisionoutlook.co.

Jess

Thanks, Jess, for the excellent info.
Have a great weekend!

Crab

--- Will Rogers
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had 2 of the older 1st gen Pythons and a couple of S&W 686's. I prefer an early model 686 over a Python.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I've had 2 of the older 1st gen Pythons and a couple of S&W 686's. I prefer an early model 686 over a Python.
I had a factory nickle S&W 686 back in the 1980s. Can't remember the correct model number, but you know what I mean.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve got a new python and an older 686, both 4” models.

The 686 to me is more of a field gun, its bullet chambers are slightly bigger and it seems quicker to reload. The SA is very good while the DA is decent, but not as smooth as I’d like.

The python DA is smoother but no lighter. The SA is heavier but still ok.

My buudy has an 1980’s python, and its SA and DA trigger is butter smooth. He also paid $380 for it in the 80’s!!

The python may go down the road, but I’m keeping the 686. I’m also trying to get a CA compliant 3” model 19 carry comp, but they are tough to get.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 01/16/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm just glad we have the opportunity to argue about whose revolvers are best, S&W or Colt. Been a while since we've had that privilege, even though its a goofy argument.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Not better or worse, just the differences may matter to some folks.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a new three inch python. Maybe I just got lucky, but I have yet to find a flaw on it. Great lockup, extremely smooth and light double action, and the single action is crisp and feels like about 3-4 lbs. it is accurate with everything I have shot in it. I have a S&W that has a slightly lighter single action trigger, but I like the balance and shoot ability of the python 3 inch. So far, I’m very impressed.

Will have to see about the rear sight.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Originally Posted by JGray

Thanks, JGray.
Glad to see that it does well with cast bullets.
Are the Keith 170's sized at .358" diameter, or are you customizing the diameter?

Sorry - just now seeing this. I use Lee push through sizers wherever possible (.358 in this case). Then I lube in a Lyman lubrisizer with same or slightly larger die.

Last edited by JGray; 01/17/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was talking with one of the guys that I shoot clays with yesterday and he has a Colt Python Stalker that he is looking to sell, but doesn’t want to pay the commission for an Internet sale. If you want to catch your breath on the high price of a Colt handgun, Google “Colt Stalker”. I like Colt handguns, but thats a bit high end!

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.