Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Over the last week or so the phone rings and the caller ID shows 'unknown number' so I have always ignored them; thinking it's some taped bs or a telemarketer ignoring the 'do not call' list...

But this morning at 6:00 am it rang again. NO ONE calls me that early unless it's a family emergency or similar. Again, it said 'unknown number'. I answered it only to prevent the damn thing from waking the rest of the household.

On the other end was a 'net-to-phone' operator who explained she had a net user on the other end. Now, in a previous career I am familiar with customers who, being deaf, communicate through a similar service. But I've not had this particular instance before. Thinking it was slightly possible it was a friend of mine from Australia I asked the operator to type back, "who is this"... 'Bernard', comes the reply.. I say, "and just WHO is Bernard?" 'I hope to be your new customer' comes back.

I ask what he needs. "I want to buy a firearm from your store".
I reply I'm a gunsmith only and do not sell retail firearms. He types, 'ok, thank you.' and the operator's gone...

To me, this seems fishy. I have a feeling 'Bernard' is some scammer from (who knows, Nigeria??) somewhere. After I hung up and said to my son that that was a wierd call he says there's a warning about people who use that service to scam people since the receiver of the call never hears a voice to avoid identification. THAT was interesting and something I'd never heard of..

Am I being paranoid or does this smell like dead, beached carp in July??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would suspect the ATF boys

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't raise any of my neck hairs, at least not yet. Guy was offering to send you money, not asking for your bank account number. Hard to believe the BATFE would pull something like that just to entrap you; I have to think there are easier ways than that.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

You see? We even think alike: our first thought was not private scammers, but the gubbamitt.

I'm thinking we're just needlessly wasting energy when we butt heads; we seem to be headed in largely the same direction.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Barak
Doesn't raise any of my neck hairs, at least not yet. Guy was offering to send you money,
No, he didn't.. At least not yet.. He specifically asked 'to buy a firearm from your store'..

Why not just call? In today's communication-dense society, nearly everyone has either a land-line or cell phone, or both.. By using this method, no phone number shows up... I don't like it.

Never thought of the ATF.. Always a possibility.. Good point.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Why not just call? In today's communication-dense society, nearly everyone has either a land-line or cell phone, or both.. By using this method, no phone number shows up... I don't like it.

He did call, and there are easier and lower-profile ways to conceal or spoof your phone number. Just because the guy is (probably) deaf doesn't mean he can't shoot. (Maybe he's deaf because of too much shooting!)

If it happens again, you might ask the operator if she can see the number he's calling from.

Never thought of the ATF.. Always a possibility.. Good point.

Doesn't feel right. This made you suspicious, right? If you were a government JBT, would you deliberately do something to make your mark suspicious?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wasn't the ATF, those lazt bastid's would never get out of bed to make a call at 6 AM

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe they were just getting in from a night of kicking in the doors of honest folks looking for undotted i's or uncrossed t's....

My money is on a scam of some sort.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

You see? We even think alike: our first thought was not private scammers, but the gubbamitt.

I'm thinking we're just needlessly wasting energy when we butt heads; we seem to be headed in largely the same direction.

Scammers just want your money. BATF has a long history of entrapment and of demonstrating a vindictive and dedicated desire to throw folks in jail.

The law is the law, and should be re written. In the mean time, folks should keep their noses clean.

Sam......

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is a scam he was going to used a stolen CC number it happens to me about 1 time a month. I have a custom electronics store and they always want to buy a more stuff then they can use. Next time ask the operator if she knows this is a scam. DK

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other, for you freedom.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I smell a scam

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dead fish.....overwhelming.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
my vote is for scam

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't raise any of my neck hairs, at least not yet. Guy was offering to send you money, not asking for your bank account number. Hard to believe the BATFE would pull something like that just to entrap you; I have to think there are easier ways than that.

I can't say about the ATF...but many of these scams start with them trying to send you money, or under that pretense. If the calls continue, I'd report it.

War Damn Eagle!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Meanwhile, some poor deaf guy in a wheelchair, down in Georgia can't go quail hunting next week, because his daughter only allows him one phone call a month, and this call didn't work out very well for him. Tsk, tsk, tsk. confused wink

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I had a real education in this stuff a few weeks ago, as some of you may remember. Really a weird experience dealing with someone over an extended period who is a professional criminal, and only near the end of it realizing for sure that's who you were dealing with.

When he finally got to the scam phase, i.e., where I was supposed to wire him the excess of what he supposedly sent me, it became 100% clear it was a scam, but I suspected it from the beginning, and posted about my early suspicions here.

I don't think they can scam you, ultimately, unless you are really trusting or really stupid, so don't be either and you'll be ok.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Meanwhile, some poor deaf guy in a wheelchair, down in Georgia can't go quail hunting next week, because his daughter only allows him one phone call a month, and this call didn't work out very well for him. Tsk, tsk, tsk. confused wink
Yeah, right... laugh

I remember your situation, Hawkeye, and while I tend to be fairly trusting, I'm definately not stupid.

Seems I'm not being paranoid; what with the responses above... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Yeah, right... laugh

I remember your situation, Hawkeye, and while I tend to be fairly trusting, I'm definately not stupid.

Seems I'm not being paranoid; what with the responses above... laugh

The only way to know for sure is if you had agreed to do business with him...which if it was ATF you'd be nabbed...if it was a scam, you'd have been asked to provide him some bank or personal info on how to make an electronic transfer of funds...or maybe some other elaborate scam I'm not aware of. Two basic ways they get you...send you a bogus check, get you to cash it and send back some money via "good funds" that you created with the cash generated by the bogus check, or they get you to divulge some personal or financial info.

War Damn Eagle!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I suspect a scam. Certainly not ATF, they have too much to do to even bother with a gunsmith, unless you're a terrorist suspect...it ain't like pre-9/11 when they were out looking for cases. And even then, the cases they went after involved (1) the suspicion of the Branch Davidians being a threat to the government and having automatic weapons, and (2) The Clinton paranoia of the "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy" of the militias, which especially to the Clintons, posed a threat to the government.

And in any case, it would probably be entrapment, as they put the idea into your head.

Barak made an assumption that the caller offered money, which I didn't catch. Barak is apparently more afraid of the BATF looking up his dress for no apparent reason than scam attempts, which happen daily and you probbly have in your email box right now.

I know of a scam dealing with automobiles that was similar; had to deliver the cars to a port city for shipment overseas. Don't remember the details, but there was a lot of money involved.

And, in any case, it's not against the law to sell a gun to another person in your state. A lot of us do it all the time, trading or whatever.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have gotten the same kind of calls. I just hang up. No good can come of it. Kenny

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (160user, 300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 12 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.