Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Guys I don't know that much about ARs to begin with but I do know hate their factory triggers. I use mine for hunting predators and shooting does sometimes. All Ive ever used is single stage triggers on ARs and bolt guns but I see alot of two stage triggers being sold for ARs. Whats the pros and cons of the two stage for hunting?

Thanks,
Trent

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my kid off this summer shooting a mbt2 two stage in a 223 (precision type practice). When I swapped her to a 6arc I put the upper on a lower I had laying around with a nice CMC single stage trigger.

Right away she commented that she didn’t like it as much for being able to precisely break the shot, she described perfectly why she likes feeling the “wall” and then pressing a little more to break the shot for accuracy.

That was pretty telling to me.

Besides precision I think they are a bit safer with a relatively high overall pull weight (first plus second stage)

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 stage triggers (2ST) aren't dependent on pull weight for hammer energy like some SSTs are.

2STs allow you to have a much lighter final pull weight than a SST and still be safe.

I don't know of any "cons" for hunting with a 2ST. I have them on all my ARs anymore.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
2 stage triggers (2ST) aren't dependent on pull weight for hammer energy like some SSTs are.

2STs allow you to have a much lighter final pull weight than a SST and still be safe.

I don't know of any "cons" for hunting with a 2ST. I have them on all my ARs anymore.

I think it depends on what a person is used to. All of my bolt action hunting rifles have good single stage triggers. Finely tuned to 2.5 pounds. Lighter rifles and my precision rifles tuned to around 2 pounds. When I set up my AR's for hunting, I use a single stage. Most of my AR's have nice 2 stage varmint match style triggers, but those get shot off the bench or prone. There is no right or wrong answer here, but on my "hunting" rifles, I prefer a single stage. One thing I'd be aware of if starting a kid off on a 2 stage trigger for hunting, if they switch to a bolt gun, make damn sure they practice with the single stage trigger so there is no searching for that "wall" and have an AD.. Muscle memory and familiarity thing..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I can think of a "con" for hunting with a 2ST..........they suck IMO !!!!!!!
I will take a good single stage every time especially when hunting

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think it depends on what a person is used to. All of my bolt action hunting rifles have good single stage triggers. Finely tuned to 2.5 pounds. Lighter rifles and my precision rifles tuned to around 2 pounds. When I set up my AR's for hunting, I use a single stage. Most of my AR's have nice 2 stage varmint match style triggers, but those get shot off the bench or prone. There is no right or wrong answer here, but on my "hunting" rifles, I prefer a single stage. One thing I'd be aware of if starting a kid off on a 2 stage trigger for hunting, if they switch to a bolt gun, make damn sure they practice with the single stage trigger so there is no searching for that "wall" and have an AD.. Muscle memory and familiarity thing..
BSA's first sentence says it all

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use RRA national match triggers in my AR's, not quit like a good single stage but not much different, buy a good single stage drop in for your AR,, then try a RRA NM, 95 bucks vs. 200

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Excellent information Tyrone!….that’s a great post that directly addresses the OP’s question and cleared up some misinformation for me. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two stage for me on my ARs. I’ve never had an issue transitioning from a single stage trigger on a bolt gun to a two stage on my ARs.
As BSA mentioned make sure a young shooter is aware of the difference and what they are running.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Two stage for me on my ARs. I’ve never had an issue transitioning from a single stage trigger on a bolt gun to a two stage on my ARs.
As BSA mentioned make sure a young shooter is aware of the difference and what they are running.
I've never had an issue with transitioning between the two either. The first, heavier stage of a 2ST is nothing like the pull on a SST - there's no "wall" like there is in the pull of a SST or like when you hit the 2nd stage is a 2ST. It's all take-up.

That's about field guns. Smallbore guns with ~8oz triggers are another beast and I'll screw those up no matter which style if I'm not careful! laugh

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's all take-up.
AKA: creep

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There’s a difference between creep and take up, creep on a single stage trigger doesn’t give you any clue of when it’s going off. The first stage on a two stage runs into a wall so you know where it’s gonna break.

Honestly, I use both and have no problems transitioning between them. I feel for those that have trouble with such a simple design.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
There’s a difference between creep and take up, creep on a single stage trigger doesn’t give you any clue of when it’s going off. The first stage on a two stage runs into a wall so you know where it’s gonna break.

Honestly, I use both and have no problems transitioning between them. I feel for those that have trouble with such a simple design.
Same. I have a 2 stage on an AR and on a Ruger Predator 223.

I absolutely love them, especially on jumpy game like hogs. Pull back to that wall and wait for the shot, just a touch of pressure and bang.

The 2 stage makes it much easier to force the break when you want it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I generally use 2 stage triggers on my AR-15's, mostly Geissele SSA-E models. They are fine for hunting. I use a single stage trigger on the AR's I use for 3 Gun because most of the stages where I shoot are hoser stages, and a single stage trigger is slightly faster for those.

But a good trigger of either type works fine for me. The one place where I don't like a single stage is for duty or self defense purposes. In that situation, a 2 stage gives you more leeway under stress.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Excellent thread. Thanks! 👍🏼👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
. Honestly, I use both and have no problems transitioning between them. I feel for those that have trouble with such a simple design.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I generally use 2 stage triggers on my AR-15's, mostly Geissele SSA-E models. They are fine for hunting. I use a single stage trigger on the AR's I use for 3 Gun because most of the stages where I shoot are hoser stages, and a single stage trigger is slightly faster for those.

But a good trigger of either type works fine for me. The one place where I don't like a single stage is for duty or self defense purposes. In that situation, a 2 stage gives you more leeway under stress.

I just replaced a couple of MBT-2s with two SSA-Es in a couple of ARs, and I am super impressed with them.

I have a Jard adjustable single-stage in another AR, selected because of my previous experiences with good triggers on bolt rifles. What I found was that I was not able to achieve the same kind of light, crisp break with the Jard without experiencing some doubling. I relented and went with considerably more engagement, and what I have now is a very light pull with easily discernable creep, but buttery smooth (emphasis on smooth) with a sudden break. It isn't the pull I set out to achieve but I can sure shoot with it.

I tried a Timney s/s in an AR years ago and just couldn't warm up to it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the information guys, I may go two-stage this time just to try it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by summitsitter
Thanks for all the information guys, I may go two-stage this time just to try it out.
Sit down, watch a game or something and dry fire whatever trigger you pick up. Pay attention to it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TWR
. Honestly, I use both and have no problems transitioning between them. I feel for those that have trouble with such a simple design.

This.

The OP was talking about a youngster and switching between the 2. You guys can read into that however you like.. The suggestion I made was very valid when dealing with someone with little experience, especially in a hunting type situation.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,613
Posts18,473,931
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.