Print Thread
Hop To
C
charger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Headed to the north peninsula in 2008 . A fella opened a new area and was the only one in NFLD to have 100% success this year. The all in cost I was quoted was 3600 to go it alone. He said that goes down with each additional person. It may go as low as 3200 per person. getting there is extra. I got a diesel crew cab dodge leaving from central ontario. All are welcome to hop in or park here and car pool or whatever. This is probably the best price that will come along on the best hunt in nfld. Let me know if you wanta go

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty good price, but would be a fair bit higher once you factor in the ferry, licences, fuel, food, hotel, tip, etc, etc. Don't forget your freezer and generator.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it is 24hrs to TB from BC, count 36hrs from southern ONT. Maybe u could meat someone on the left coast for a hunt.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
check out the license requirements , relatives get a braeak somehow

C
charger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Everything is in including license. If I go alone round trip on ferry is around 180. fuel is whatever it is fro here to north nova scotia at 30 mpg. I got a freezer and geny but because it wont have hung long enough and their nights out there will be cool by then I think I'll leave it whole till I get to my butcher here. There again on tip. Its the kind of thing where its one of the co-owners guiding. I aint goin crazy on tip..On the west coast. been thrice, burnt thrice. going to try the east..

When you add everything up to go east its way cheaper than west. unless you go west on the invite plan. Thats how I got burnt, cause if there aint a contract and the guy dont just plane feel like it when you get there or he's a flake pot head like the last time, where are you? Having contract in hand bodes better

Last edited by charger; 11/15/07.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wanted to go moose hunting a long time. This guy has been sending me mail for years. I've never been sure what to think. I've been told that moose aren't hard to find, and it you're not peculiar about the headgear, a moose for the freezer is practically a done deal. It's just getting it back. I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.pineridge.nf.ca/

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have hunted Newfoundland and if you are rifle hunting and willing to shoot any legal moose it should be almost 100%. They no absolutely nothing about bow hunting. The guide by law must stay right with you. He can't leave you on stand by yourself. No problem rifle hunting but bow hunting with a guide that never quits talking and coughing is not good.Tell your outfitter up front you don't want a guide jumping up and down yelling shoot shoot. Talk to them about wasted time. For instance on my hunt we sat around all day Sunday. Monday we walked until 4:00 pm to a spike camp. We went into hunting territory and spotted a big bull at about 3 miles. My guide said we could get there before dark but would not be able to make it back. Since I was bow hunting and the chances of getting there and getting a bow shot are not that sure I decided not to try. In effect we lost a day walking in to camp. The middle of the week we walked back to the main camp and out to another spike camp the next day. Lost two more days. A fellow from PA was walking in to the spike camp with myself and my guide while his guide took a different route with food and supplies with four wheeler and sled. On the way in my guide saw a moose in a pond about three hundred yards from us. The other hunter was rifle hunting. My guide grabbed him and pulled him out in the open where he could see the moose and stared pointing and jumping and yelling shoot shoot. Before he shot I said Carl there is a little tree 30 yards ahead of you. Get up there and get a rest. He stood there and emtied his rifle offhand. No moose. I had a friend just come back from bowhunting Newfoundland. His guide called a moose within 20 yards straight at them and started the yelling routine shoot shoot he is going to kill us. Eric said all I could do was draw and wait when the moose turned to run Eric put an arrow thru his lungs but Eric said he was very lucky. The outfitter I used spoke of helicopters and J tractors in the brochure to get around. The J tractor was setting behind the camp with a lot of magor parts missing and I doubt it run for 40 years. You guessed it , no helicopter. Sorry for the rant. Kenny

C
charger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by rob p
I've wanted to go moose hunting a long time. This guy has been sending me mail for years. I've never been sure what to think. I've been told that moose aren't hard to find, and it you're not peculiar about the headgear, a moose for the freezer is practically a done deal. It's just getting it back. I don't know what to make of it.

http://www.pineridge.nf.ca/

I've done some pretty steep homework as newfland is quite divers so are the people as to their willingness to, shall we say WORK..
Not all newfland is perfect moomoo country. The northern penninsula where my guy is is the best, bar none, Secondly buddy is providing some serios references as to the 100% luck had this year. Like I said, brothers trying to start a fledgling company arent likely to lazy you . I've about said enough. I'll be making my down payment shortly

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Charger, You should have a super time. I wish I were going with you. I wouldn't hesitate going back with the outfitter I had or another if I were rifle hunting. I could have shot at least a half dozen with a rifle. I didn't mean to imply our guides were lazy. Just the opposite. They worked thier tails off to show us moose. Kenny

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Newfoundland has a very dense moose population,but the trophy quality is not nearly as good as in western Canada.Expect to kill a legal moose,but not necessarily a large antlered bull.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
By in large the Nufee's are a hard work bunch. You'll not find a large moose there but you will shoot one for the freezer. Been there twice with Dean Macdonald ( moose valley outfitters) and by the 4 th day everyone had taged out on both trips, that includes the guys with both moose and 'bou tags. Check ALL the oufitters references you can't go wrong, but you won't be shooting a booner.

C
charger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by blackfly
By in large the Nufee's are a hard work bunch. You'll not find a large moose there but you will shoot one for the freezer. Been there twice with Dean Macdonald ( moose valley outfitters) and by the 4 th day everyone had taged out on both trips, that includes the guys with both moose and 'bou tags. Check ALL the oufitters references you can't go wrong, but you won't be shooting a booner.

Yes this is my understanding of the moose to, ecspecially in the far north. Dont expect much over the 30 some inches, but expect to see moose FOR SURE!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.