Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mike be Bellaview done a lots of good stuff with old black powder revolvers and such pardon me at the last name is not spelled right because I'm using talk to text.
I watch a lot of his stuff and old black powder revolvers especially very knowledgeable guy and I've learned a lot from his videos cuz he's still doing anything or still with us?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike Venturino?

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That would be my guess--but only a guess!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mike Stivic maybe?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Good evening, I hope you and Eileen had a good holiday season and the winter has been decent to you folks.

I'm guessing the OP means Mike Beliveau who has the YouTube channel Duelist1954, but that's a guess.

He and the Hungarian channel capandball have some pretty decent black powder content.

All the best to you both John.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/17/23. Reason: schpell czech broked

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Mike Bellaview and Mike Venturino are two different people.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Dwayne. I don't watch much youtube, but do watch some. Will check him out--but might also point out that youtube isn't exactly "gun writing"--though I did note that he's apparently published quite a few articles. But for some reason I have never run across any.

Except for the -30s "cold snap" in late December, which was relatively brief, our winter has been OK! Hope yours has been as well.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
not saying the above videos is best work and it's just who I'm talking about.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ldholton;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day treated you well down in your part of Missouri.

If you like black powder content and if you're not familiar with this chap, I've found that his channel has some wonderful content as well as a bit of a look into black powder shooting in Europe. The chap in the videos is in Hungary and is a university history prof as well as I believe he's been on or still might be on the Hungarian black powder shooting team.

Here's a video of him with a fairly rare European arm, but he has some with US made black powder arms too.

Hopefully that's of interest to you or someone out there tonight.

All the best.

Dwayne

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BC30cal
ldholton;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day treated you well down in your part of Missouri.

If you like black powder content and if you're not familiar with this chap, I've found that his channel has some wonderful content as well as a bit of a look into black powder shooting in Europe. The chap in the videos is in Hungary and is a university history prof as well as I believe he's been on or still might be on the Hungarian black powder shooting team.

Here's a video of him with a fairly rare European arm, but he has some with US made black powder arms too.

Hopefully that's of interest to you or someone out there tonight.

All the best.

Dwayne
thanks I'll check him out I like history older I get the more I enjoy it. got pretty good collection of old stuff myself and the more I can learn about what I've got and things I might want to get to add to it..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,

Been watching capandball for a long time. As you said, excellent stuff. Sometimes he goes pretty deeper into the history than my limited attention span can handle, but he’s obviously very proud of his country’s history. We could use some of that here!

All the best.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pappy348;
Good morning to you sir, I see you're up and about on this middle of the week day and hope it's going at least okay.

My good wife of more than 40 years now calls me a "data miner" and seeing as she knows me better than any other human, she's most likely correct. grin

Arms of all types have been a lifetime pursuit and passion for me so folks like Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons and Beloz (spelling??) at capandball have been on my radar as well both because of their passion for the projects and for their variety of content.

As far as capandball goes, I mean where else can we see someone firing a cavalry wheellock pistol from the 30 Years War? cool

In the video I linked, he's shooting that Austrian made Jaeger rifle made for a member of the Esterhazy family which has a bit of a personal connection to me since I grew up north of the town of Esterhazy, SK. Until I watched his video and did some digging, I had no idea the town was named for them.

Not that it changed my world view or anything, but kinda/sorta neat I thought.

While I still read a fair bit, I do enjoy some of the more in depth channels.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like capandball's videos, but had no idea he was a history professor. Makes sense, though.

Also really like Mike Beliveau duelist1954.

Watching their videos is, to me, like eating comfort food.

Greg Perry

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dwayne, I hope everything is good in your part of the world. Thanks for posting that video! I have watched a lot of his videos but somehow I missed that one. I couldn't understand what he was using as a filler although it looked like corn meal.

Last edited by Joe; 01/19/23.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Joe;
Good afternoon sir, we're in the fog currently but it's not freezing out so we'll take it!

I hope that you're getting seasonally appropriate weather and you're well.

The stuff he's using is semolina which is coarse ground Durum wheat. We used to have semolina porridge when I was a kid - being from the land of Durum wheat in Saskatchewan that makes sense I suppose?

While I don't know of any chemical reason cornmeal wouldn't work, I'm open to hearing from those who might?

I used cornmeal and lard or shortening to make a few .22-250AI cases and it didn't hurt anything other than it does sort of bake into the barrel a wee bit.

Oh - forgot sir - he uses the filler to put the ball into better rifling on some of the vintage rifles he'd using. If the chamber is a bit corroded, he puts in enough filler - semolina/cornmeal - to have the patched ball/ paper patched bullet start in a better spot.

That's what he's said a couple times if I'm recollecting it all right.

Hope that helped, good luck with your charcoal burners and all the best.

Dwayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.