Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SAM50
You have the support of your wife, so do something you’ll be happy with. You’ll both be happier. I know about “ain’t what it used to be”. Worked for a public utility for 34yrs. First 7 we’re ok. Middle 20 we’re really good. The last 7, the first word out of my mouth every morning was fuukk. Was too old, and had too much time invested to change. You’re young. Do it.

That is sort of what prompted the change.

I recognize that I'm now at the point where I'm either gonna decide to do this till the end, or if I'm switching it's time to do it now. Before I have too many good things to walk away from. But not really be happy doing it.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why don't you join the airwing of your pd/sheriff?

Fly and keep that pension going...

Ymmv

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Ymmv

I was just thinking the same thing.... every local sheriff and some of the larger PD's have their own helicopters. The CHP runs airplanes to bust speeders on the highway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Son is making the same change. Going to spend $80K to get all the licenses.

He has a guaranteed spot with a carrier when he is finished.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tater74
Son is making the same change. Going to spend $80K to get all the licenses.

He has a guaranteed spot with a carrier when he is finished.

Think it's a good idea for him?

In God We Trust.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm worried that he is taking on a lot of debt, but my brother just retired from American and has directed him through some of it.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Ymmv

I was just thinking the same thing.... every local sheriff and some of the larger PD's have their own helicopters. The CHP runs airplanes to bust speeders on the highway.

That could be an option. Not at my current department, but there are other departments nearby that do.

I really hadn't considered that. I would need to look in to it more. Not worth the investment at my current salary, other than for fun. But I would assume that would come with a pay increase.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The town I live in has an excellent commercial training program. In addition they have an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) and conducts check rides onsite at Sanders Aviation. Very few schools can say that.

https://sandersaviation.com/

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tater74
I'm worried that he is taking on a lot of debt, but my brother just retired from American and has directed him through some of it.

Debt is bad. But I suppose if it opens up a career that you can make good money in I suppose it'll balance out.

We'd be doing it with very minimal and possibly no debt.

But it'll take most of our savings.

Actually I would possibly take the deferred loan and get through the training. Then pay it off when I'm back working again and avoid as much of that interest as possible.

I drive a 2008 truck with 170k on it and a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan with close to 90k. I don't like debt.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Joshm28
The town I live in has an excellent commercial training program. In addition they have an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) and conducts check rides onsite at Sanders Aviation. Very few schools can say that.

https://sandersaviation.com/

I will have to take a closer look at that tomorrow.

I'm informationed-out for tonight.

One of the schools I'm looking at offers those things. But it's twice as long and three times the cost. It's close to home though.

But for that price and a much shorter time frame it may be worth spending a few months there.

Thank you

*Edited

I wasn't looking at the full course. Only a section of it.. That school looks very similar to one near me. Time/cost/and what they're offering.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01/17/23.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of my friends in Naval Aviation got out after one or two tours and went commercial, with three to four thousand hours of multi-engine jet time under their belts. If you're going from "cold iron civilian" to an ATP, figure on close to 100 large and you still won't have anywhere near the experience military pilots bring to the table.

That said, there IS a huge pilot shortage so standards are becoming less, almost like in the mid-60s, where a couple of hundred hours in a Cessna would get you in the door of a major airline and they would train you. Good luck

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.

I'm in law enforcement. Have been since 2012.

It already "ain't what it used to be"

I can do this until I retire. But I think I'd be happier doing something else.

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake
I spent 32 years as a LEO. But, I spent 20 years in the National Guard as a helicopter mechanic with 12.5 as a Huey crew chief. That is as close to my dream as I could get. Good luck on your dream.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Lots of my friends in Naval Aviation got out after one or two tours and went commercial, with three to four thousand hours of multi-engine jet time under their belts. If you're going from "cold iron civilian" to an ATP, figure on close to 100 large and you still won't have anywhere near the experience military pilots bring to the table.

That said, there IS a huge pilot shortage so standards are becoming less, almost like in the mid-60s, where a couple of hundred hours in a Cessna would get you in the door of a major airline and they would train you. Good luck

While the pilot shortage is real, it also seems that what people are willing to pay for a pilot isn't what it should be.

I know I didn't have the hours to get serious consideration at any position I felt would pay benefits from all the training hours and certifications... And I had 1500 hours single, multi, and instrument.

We used to joke that you could land a job flying a 6 million dollar aircraft and make $40k a year doing it. wink

I seriously considered going deep, but the more I hung around FBO's and became close with many commercial pilots, I realized the money incentive just wasn't equaling the cost. You have to really just want to fly... that seemed to be the reward in a career of aviation.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all. In my years as a jet instructor, I learned that there are some people who are just naturals at flying, and others who could never manage to do it no matter how much they wanted it. It would be like me burning to be a concert violinist or pro basketball star. Never ever gonna happen.

There are going to be serious issues regarding pilots and the mandatory clot shot. See the thread on that for particulars. If you've had the shots, you might be SOL as far as getting aboard with an airline after all this shakes out.

Edit: that thread is HERE

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/18/23.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all. In my years as a jet instructor, I learned that there are some people who are just naturals at flying, and others who could never manage to do it no matter how much they wanted it. It would be like me burning to be a concert violinist or pro basketball star. Never ever gonna happen.

There are going to be serious issues regarding pilots and the mandatory clot shot. See the thread on that for particulars. If you've had the shots, you might be SOL as far as getting aboard with an airline after all this shakes out.

Edit: that thread is HERE
Get an EKG before you bail out of your LEO job.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all.

This advice is sound no matter the career choice. It has been my advice to nieces and nephews. I also tell them to get summer jobs in that field. Even an entry level job exposes you to the workplace and people in it . Enough to help you decide if you really want to commit to it .

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bocajnala. My son was a police oficer for nearly 20 years. He got his private pilots license in 1999. He quit flying up until 3 years or so back. Then he bought his own plane and began getting his ratings. He met several airline pilots in the process that helped him. He got his instrument rating and his multi engine rating. He applied to American Airlines last year and was hired. They got him his Airline Transport Rating. He then quit the active PD but stayed on as reserve. Monday, he starts work for Spirit. He is really excited about it.

There is a great demand for Pilots now and it doesn't look like it will be slowing down anytime soon. As young as you are I would say go for it. I love flying although I have not gone any further than my Private License.

Jim

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JeffP
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all.

This advice is sound no matter the career choice. It has been my advice to nieces and nephews. I also tell them to get summer jobs in that field. Even an entry level job exposes you to the workplace and people in it . Enough to help you decide if you really want to commit to it .

Yes a good idea. I've got a call in and a meeting scheduled next week with a local school. Says I can get in the air a few times to see how I like it.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Bocajnala. My son was a police oficer for nearly 20 years. He got his private pilots license in 1999. He quit flying up until 3 years or so back. Then he bought his own plane and began getting his ratings. He met several airline pilots in the process that helped him. He got his instrument rating and his multi engine rating. He applied to American Airlines last year and was hired. They got him his Airline Transport Rating. He then quit the active PD but stayed on as reserve. Monday, he starts work for Spirit. He is really excited about it.

There is a great demand for Pilots now and it doesn't look like it will be slowing down anytime soon. As young as you are I would say go for it. I love flying although I have not gone any further than my Private License.

Jim

Thanks Jim that's encouraging.

I'll stay on as a reserve at least as well. Don't want to give up my certifications or qualifications and my department makes it easy to stay part time with very little required time.

Seems like my next step is meeting with a school and getting the medical stuff started to make sure I qualify.
-Jake

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.

I'm in law enforcement. Have been since 2012.

It already "ain't what it used to be"

I can do this until I retire. But I think I'd be happier doing something else.

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake

As soon as you hit 50 or 25 years of service, BAIL!

Easy for you to say not dealing with the scum of the earth every day, murdered people, abused children and being ostracized by regular folks. NOT worth it. I made it 8 years. Life is too short.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.