Home
Posted By: Bocajnala Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Wife is making good money now and I have been long considering a career change once her income got up to where I could make the change. She gave the go ahead to start looking at getting a Commercial Pilot License. Spent some time tonight researching and contacting a few local schools.

Anyone here that can give me an unbiased ear to talk to? These schools seem like they're selling something! And I suppose they are. You can PM me or post here. Would like to talk to someone that has been through the process and knows what the actual job outlook is in the next 25 years.

I'm in my early 30's as well. Little late- but still time to make a career of it I think if I want to.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake
Are you looking at working for a Part 121 Operator or 135? Rotary wing or fixed?
Originally Posted by 160user
Are you looking at working for a Part 121 Operator or 135? Rotary wing or fixed?

Fixed. But I wouldn't be opposed to learning both later in life as time allows.

As for the first part I suppose the answer is both. Seems like most have to start 135 before getting to 121.

I'm very new at this. Was only a dream until the last week or so when I've begun seriously considering it as an option and might still be only a dream.

Have a few calls out waiting to hear back from the schools and discuss things more in depth.

-Jake
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.
One of the Fire members is a retired commercial pilot. He might pipe in.
I've got a nephew who is a trainer, at a school near Tulsa.
He may be a bit biased - but he is honest.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've got a nephew who is a trainer, at a school near Tulsa.
He may be a bit biased - but he is honest.

I'll PM you.

-Jake
What I spent in 1969 to get my ratings would not get you to the airport in a cab.....so I hope you realize just how much $$$$ you are talking about investing in your dream. I spent 55 years flying and getting paid for a lot of it....but.....you better like hotel living and fast food. When I retired in 2011 I had somewhere around 30,000 hours and was typed in B 722,737,757 and 767 oh add a Citation to that also. I miss the airplane and some of the people but not the company. But most of all I miss the sky....some here will understand that I hope.
With that said, if you have questions, pm me and I will try to help.
Originally Posted by hardway
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.

I'm in law enforcement. Have been since 2012.

It already "ain't what it used to be"

I can do this until I retire. But I think I'd be happier doing something else.

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake
Originally Posted by fgold767
What I spent in 1969 to get my ratings would not get you to the airport in a cab.....so I hope you realize just how much $$$$ you are talking about investing in your dream. I spent 55 years flying and getting paid for a lot of it....but.....you better like hotel living and fast food. When I retired in 2011 I had somewhere around 30,000 hours and was typed in B 722,737,757 and 767 oh add a Citation to that also. I miss the airplane and some of the people but not the company. But most of all I miss the sky....some here will understand that I hope.
With that said, if you have questions, pm me and I will try to help.

We can pay for it. But it's a big chunk of our money. Figure we're young enough to recover with the difference in what I'd be making over the career.
Thank you. PM on the way.
Posted By: fshaw Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
I am a private pilot, not commercial, but taught an aviation science course at a local high school for a rew years. I have a few prior students in the commercial pipeline and a few friends who are commercial pilots. You’re welcome to PM me if you’d like. Just so you know at the start, I think it’s a great idea and if I was younger would do it myself. Many options for employment.

Frank
Originally Posted by fshaw
I am a private pilot, not commercial, but taught an aviation science course at a local high school for a rew years. I have a few prior students in the commercial pipeline and a few friends who are commercial pilots. You’re welcome to PM me if you’d like. Just so you know at the start, I think it’s a great idea and if I was younger would do it myself. Many options for employment.

Frank

Pm coming your way
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake

As soon as you hit 50 or 25 years of service, BAIL!
Sometimes I feel like I got that 25 already

In all honesty I've got it pretty good. I do allot of our training and recerts. So I spend about 25% of my time training.

But I've had the itch to get out for a while now. The last few years have kinda sucked the joy out of it for me.

-Jake
Posted By: Muffin Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
It's been a while, but.

From 1976-1983

Private Pilot, multi-Engine, Instrument....

Commercial Pilot multi-Engine Instrument Airplane

Flight instructor, Multi-Engine Instrument Airplane

Air Transport Pilot Single/Multi Engine Airplane

Chief Pilot Part 135 Air Taxi Operator (fancy title for charter pilot)

What I spent getting this wouldn't pay for 1 Semester at your Embry Riddle type schools............ some have already said!!

PS: I only hit ONE student.

They're ALL trying to kill you............

Fuel guy screws up - Pilots die
Mechanic screws up - Pilots die
Air Traffic Control screws up - Pilots die
Pilots screw up - pilots die

And I'd do it all over, and more.......
Posted By: gluck Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
PM Sent
I thought many of the airlines were paying people to go to flight school nowadays, due to the impending pilot shortage?
You can get right seat in a King Air with 300 hours with the outfit I work for currently.
Posted By: SAM50 Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
You have the support of your wife, so do something you’ll be happy with. You’ll both be happier. I know about “ain’t what it used to be”. Worked for a public utility for 34yrs. First 7 we’re ok. Middle 20 we’re really good. The last 7, the first word out of my mouth every morning was fuukk. Was too old, and had too much time invested to change. You’re young. Do it.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I thought many of the airlines were paying people to go to flight school nowadays, due to the impending pilot shortage?

I didn't see that in any of my searches. But I didn't look for that specifically.

I'll look into it tomorrow. That would certainly be helpful as long as they don't require a 25 year commitment and my left arm. Although I probably do not have a strong resume for something like that. I have a B.A. and ten years in a duty belt with some instructor certifications to go with it.

Not really beneficial to an airline.

Thank you for all the responses and PMs. Got more info than I expected and a couple additional phone calls lined up for tomorrow.

-Jake
Originally Posted by SAM50
You have the support of your wife, so do something you’ll be happy with. You’ll both be happier. I know about “ain’t what it used to be”. Worked for a public utility for 34yrs. First 7 we’re ok. Middle 20 we’re really good. The last 7, the first word out of my mouth every morning was fuukk. Was too old, and had too much time invested to change. You’re young. Do it.

That is sort of what prompted the change.

I recognize that I'm now at the point where I'm either gonna decide to do this till the end, or if I'm switching it's time to do it now. Before I have too many good things to walk away from. But not really be happy doing it.

-Jake
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Why don't you join the airwing of your pd/sheriff?

Fly and keep that pension going...

Ymmv
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Ymmv

I was just thinking the same thing.... every local sheriff and some of the larger PD's have their own helicopters. The CHP runs airplanes to bust speeders on the highway.
Son is making the same change. Going to spend $80K to get all the licenses.

He has a guaranteed spot with a carrier when he is finished.
Originally Posted by tater74
Son is making the same change. Going to spend $80K to get all the licenses.

He has a guaranteed spot with a carrier when he is finished.

Think it's a good idea for him?
I'm worried that he is taking on a lot of debt, but my brother just retired from American and has directed him through some of it.
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Ymmv

I was just thinking the same thing.... every local sheriff and some of the larger PD's have their own helicopters. The CHP runs airplanes to bust speeders on the highway.

That could be an option. Not at my current department, but there are other departments nearby that do.

I really hadn't considered that. I would need to look in to it more. Not worth the investment at my current salary, other than for fun. But I would assume that would come with a pay increase.

-Jake
The town I live in has an excellent commercial training program. In addition they have an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) and conducts check rides onsite at Sanders Aviation. Very few schools can say that.

https://sandersaviation.com/
Originally Posted by tater74
I'm worried that he is taking on a lot of debt, but my brother just retired from American and has directed him through some of it.

Debt is bad. But I suppose if it opens up a career that you can make good money in I suppose it'll balance out.

We'd be doing it with very minimal and possibly no debt.

But it'll take most of our savings.

Actually I would possibly take the deferred loan and get through the training. Then pay it off when I'm back working again and avoid as much of that interest as possible.

I drive a 2008 truck with 170k on it and a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan with close to 90k. I don't like debt.

-Jake
Originally Posted by Joshm28
The town I live in has an excellent commercial training program. In addition they have an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) and conducts check rides onsite at Sanders Aviation. Very few schools can say that.

I will have to take a closer look at that tomorrow.

I'm informationed-out for tonight.

One of the schools I'm looking at offers those things. But it's twice as long and three times the cost. It's close to home though.

But for that price and a much shorter time frame it may be worth spending a few months there.

Thank you

*Edited

I wasn't looking at the full course. Only a section of it.. That school looks very similar to one near me. Time/cost/and what they're offering.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Lots of my friends in Naval Aviation got out after one or two tours and went commercial, with three to four thousand hours of multi-engine jet time under their belts. If you're going from "cold iron civilian" to an ATP, figure on close to 100 large and you still won't have anywhere near the experience military pilots bring to the table.

That said, there IS a huge pilot shortage so standards are becoming less, almost like in the mid-60s, where a couple of hundred hours in a Cessna would get you in the door of a major airline and they would train you. Good luck
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23

-Jake
I spent 32 years as a LEO. But, I spent 20 years in the National Guard as a helicopter mechanic with 12.5 as a Huey crew chief. That is as close to my dream as I could get. Good luck on your dream.

kwg
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Lots of my friends in Naval Aviation got out after one or two tours and went commercial, with three to four thousand hours of multi-engine jet time under their belts. If you're going from "cold iron civilian" to an ATP, figure on close to 100 large and you still won't have anywhere near the experience military pilots bring to the table.

That said, there IS a huge pilot shortage so standards are becoming less, almost like in the mid-60s, where a couple of hundred hours in a Cessna would get you in the door of a major airline and they would train you. Good luck

While the pilot shortage is real, it also seems that what people are willing to pay for a pilot isn't what it should be.

I know I didn't have the hours to get serious consideration at any position I felt would pay benefits from all the training hours and certifications... And I had 1500 hours single, multi, and instrument.

We used to joke that you could land a job flying a 6 million dollar aircraft and make $40k a year doing it. wink

I seriously considered going deep, but the more I hung around FBO's and became close with many commercial pilots, I realized the money incentive just wasn't equaling the cost. You have to really just want to fly... that seemed to be the reward in a career of aviation.
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all. In my years as a jet instructor, I learned that there are some people who are just naturals at flying, and others who could never manage to do it no matter how much they wanted it. It would be like me burning to be a concert violinist or pro basketball star. Never ever gonna happen.

There are going to be serious issues regarding pilots and the mandatory clot shot. See the thread on that for particulars. If you've had the shots, you might be SOL as far as getting aboard with an airline after all this shakes out.

Edit: that thread is HERE
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all. In my years as a jet instructor, I learned that there are some people who are just naturals at flying, and others who could never manage to do it no matter how much they wanted it. It would be like me burning to be a concert violinist or pro basketball star. Never ever gonna happen.

There are going to be serious issues regarding pilots and the mandatory clot shot. See the thread on that for particulars. If you've had the shots, you might be SOL as far as getting aboard with an airline after all this shakes out.

Get an EKG before you bail out of your LEO job.

kwg
Posted By: JeffP Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all.

This advice is sound no matter the career choice. It has been my advice to nieces and nephews. I also tell them to get summer jobs in that field. Even an entry level job exposes you to the workplace and people in it . Enough to help you decide if you really want to commit to it .
Bocajnala. My son was a police oficer for nearly 20 years. He got his private pilots license in 1999. He quit flying up until 3 years or so back. Then he bought his own plane and began getting his ratings. He met several airline pilots in the process that helped him. He got his instrument rating and his multi engine rating. He applied to American Airlines last year and was hired. They got him his Airline Transport Rating. He then quit the active PD but stayed on as reserve. Monday, he starts work for Spirit. He is really excited about it.

There is a great demand for Pilots now and it doesn't look like it will be slowing down anytime soon. As young as you are I would say go for it. I love flying although I have not gone any further than my Private License.

Jim
Originally Posted by JeffP
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all.

This advice is sound no matter the career choice. It has been my advice to nieces and nephews. I also tell them to get summer jobs in that field. Even an entry level job exposes you to the workplace and people in it . Enough to help you decide if you really want to commit to it .

Yes a good idea. I've got a call in and a meeting scheduled next week with a local school. Says I can get in the air a few times to see how I like it.

-Jake
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Bocajnala. My son was a police oficer for nearly 20 years. He got his private pilots license in 1999. He quit flying up until 3 years or so back. Then he bought his own plane and began getting his ratings. He met several airline pilots in the process that helped him. He got his instrument rating and his multi engine rating. He applied to American Airlines last year and was hired. They got him his Airline Transport Rating. He then quit the active PD but stayed on as reserve. Monday, he starts work for Spirit. He is really excited about it.

There is a great demand for Pilots now and it doesn't look like it will be slowing down anytime soon. As young as you are I would say go for it. I love flying although I have not gone any further than my Private License.

Jim

Thanks Jim that's encouraging.

I'll stay on as a reserve at least as well. Don't want to give up my certifications or qualifications and my department makes it easy to stay part time with very little required time.

Seems like my next step is meeting with a school and getting the medical stuff started to make sure I qualify.
-Jake
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by 160user

-Jake

As soon as you hit 50 or 25 years of service, BAIL!

Easy for you to say not dealing with the scum of the earth every day, murdered people, abused children and being ostracized by regular folks. NOT worth it. I made it 8 years. Life is too short.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/18/23
Wife is making good money now and I have been long considering a career change once her income got up to where I could make the change. She gave the go ahead to start looking at getting a Commercial Pilot License. Spent some time tonight researching and contacting a few local schools.

Anyone here that can give me an unbiased ear to talk to? These schools seem like they're selling something! And I suppose they are. You can PM me or post here. Would like to talk to someone that has been through the process and knows what the actual job outlook is in the next 25 years.

I'm in my early 30's as well. Little late- but still time to make a career of it I think if I want to.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake

Hey I have spent 25 yrs around civil and ag aviation. All my best friends are accomplished pilots. it is not glamorous, dosent pay well and kinda boring 95% of the time. The other bonuses are lower than average pay and medical issues that can neutralize your entire career in a flash. And the new tech takes alot of the fun out of flying. I would choose another career move and buy yourself a super cub to play with!
My buddy is a pilot for Fedex flying MD-11s. I'm sure he makes a damn good living and I know I'd love to have the amount of time off he gets. He's a training Captain now as well here at the ANC base. I do know he flew some sketchy stuff up here for quite a few years before he made it to where he is. Definitely earned his position.
Helicopter single engine commercial/instrument/CFI/CFII
Airplane single engine commercial/instrument/CFI
Airplane multi engine ATP

Had a nice job as a corporate pilot until Ron Reagan fired all the controllers, but the ability to get a flight reservation led to the owner selling the plane. Airlines had all the pilots they needed, but the FAA had a few empty seats in the control rooms.

So I made a living telling pilots where to go. Wasn’t a bad job, pay was good, but sometimes I would have rather been back in Nam.

4,000+ hours in the air gives you an idea what the pilots are thinking.
@OP... From an old fat bald guy that has been around the block a few times... If it is something that you truly want to do, and your spouse approves, Just Do It...

I chased a dream 15 years ago. Was not successful at it. But gave it my best shot. If I had waited until I retired to give it a whirl, I would not have physically been able to do it. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
Originally Posted by Joshm28

Most all the " academies" can. I work for part 135. I've worked for a large flight school
I think ATP, CAE, UND, Embry Riddle et al have DPEs on staff.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I know I didn't have the hours to get serious consideration at any position I felt would pay benefits
from all the training hours and certifications... And I had 1500 hours single, multi, and instrument.

Wow thats the opposite to what happened with guys I flew with, some ended up as EMS
pilots. others as offshore captain paying rather well. Essentially they were accepted by
good companies that assisted in advancing their careers.
...I recall going to Anaheim Heli Expo where they were doing interviews .
My colleague had no turbine time, no twin time , etc. (whereas I already had Bell and MD turbine)
He was accepted by a rotary wing operator in Louisiana, he stayed there just over 6 yrs and ended
up as offshore IFR captain in the AW139, as well as; Bell 412, AS350, EC120, which adds up to
2x single turbines and 2x twin turbines all at Co. expense..He took that experience to Saudi Aramco
and is currently an AW139 offshore captain and has been there some yrs now.. and in that time has
added the A109E twin to his CV at Co. expense.
He ain't a multi millionaire but he has US real estate in a neat gated community and can afford
to have his wife as a stay home mom. I have more very similar stories like that from RW colleagues
dating back 25 yrs involving other turbine birds such as MD500E, Bell 206, AS355 twin, AS332 twin,
EC135 twin, EC145 twin. Etc.
Posted By: KKDD50 Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/19/23
When people asked me how I liked it I always replied “ It beats the hell out of actually working! “. As in most professions there are the good sides and the bad sides. Can be very hard on marriages. Aviation has changed dramatically over the last couple of decades and not for the better in my opinion, especially since 11 Sept 2001.
Back when I was in Ohio I did a lot of Wildland Firefighter Training courses in Reynoldsburg (east side of Columbus).

I mention this because it may be a link (that you had not thought about) to core classes/aviation stuff on Wildland fire.

Link

Lots of aviation on fires... albeit contractors mostly... never know what doors might open and who would pay for what training. Online offerings... Just a thought.

I was Logistics... the network of training at NIFC (nationwide) is EXTENSIVE. https://www.nifc.gov/programs/training

https://www.iat.gov/

Good luck with your hopes and dreams!
I just finished up my commercial pilot rating with instrument last summer. From start to finish private pilot to commercial was just under two years and have 400 hours total time. I spent almost 100k doing it which includes training, airplane rental, checkrides, headset, online learning, etc. I did spend more on my training as I did not do a lot of solo work, I always paid to have an instructor with me from a safety standpoint. It’s a lot of work but it’s also a lot of fun. I’m retired so I did it to give me something to do and now I really want to fly skydivers just for the adventure!

PS: I got my pilots license because of the Campfire. Someone on here posted a video during the height of the scamdemic about a guy that landed a King Air after the pilot in command died after takeoff. To whomever posted that video, thank you!
Posted By: Brad Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
I just finished up my commercial pilot rating with instrument last summer. From start to finish private pilot to commercial was just under two years and have 400 hours total time. I spent almost 100k doing it which includes training, airplane rental, checkrides, headset, online learning, etc. I did spend more on my training as I did not do a lot of solo work, I always paid to have an instructor with me from a safety standpoint. It’s a lot of work but it’s also a lot of fun. I’m retired so I did it to give me something to do and now I really want to fly skydivers just for the adventure!

PS: I got my pilots license because of the Campfire. Someone on here posted a video during the height of the scamdemic about a guy that landed a King Air after the pilot in command died after takeoff. To whomever posted that video, thank you!

Hey, that's pretty cool - Congrat's!
Posted By: jpb Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/19/23

Hi Kingthing0307

First, good on ya'!

Second, I remember that story, and I did post it on several places - 24campfire might have been one!

To others, here is the link to a rather good video taken inside the King Air during the whole event!

/John
That's great.
Good for you
I currently fly for the company that recently made the news over the holidays for a meltdown. I flew Navy for 20+ years so other than paying for an ATP, everything else was military. Coincidentally, I did my ATP with Sanders Aviation linked above. The very first thing to do is go get a First Class Medical certificate before going forward.

My son is at Endeavor (owned by Delta). He did not have the eye sight for the Navy. We looked at all the big schools and ended up using Epic Flight Academy in New Smyrna Beach, FL. Cost is always a factor and we felt Epic was a good fit of cost vs time to train. The big schools do charge a lot but generally get you through quickly. A small private school is usually cheaper but takes longer to get through everything. I would love to answer any of your specific questions.
Originally Posted by jpb

Hi Kingthing0307

First, good on ya'!

Second, I remember that story, and I did post it on several places - 24campfire might have been one!

To others, here is the link to a rather good video taken inside the King Air during the whole event!

/John

That’s the one! Love it when Doug says something like I’ve got a dead guy sitting beside me. Nerves of steel there!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by kwg020
Get an EKG before you bail out of your LEO job.

kwg

Make sure you can pass an FAA class I physical before you commit to anything.

A fellow member in my flying club retired from being a high school science teacher and decided she wanted to be a commercial pilot. She did her private, inst, comm, CFI/II in a year and instructed for a year and was offered a job with NetJets. All very doable without going to a formal school.

I've considered right seat in business jets as a 3rd career but there are other things I'd rather do. I'll stick with my private/instrument and add a float and multi when I have time.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/19/23
I have been flying for over 50 years and getting my ticket was one of the best decisions I ever made and I am still actively flying. There are a lot more opportunities open to a commercial pilot today, you simply need to find one that suits you
I flew for less than 10 years and now have not touched controls in almost 40 years. I could have gone commercial but do not regret choosing to be something other than a glorified bus driver. I also did not fly privately. In the beginning, that was due to cost amid raising two daughters, but as time went on, it just dropped lower and lower on my "wanna" list. I miss flying, and think of it almost every day. Now, turning 76, I doubt it would be prudent to start again.

More than half of my USAF pilot training class went on to the commercial arena after their military commitment. They all say it was the right choice for them - and it probably was. Their jobs ranged from being a Cessna Citation pilot for AT&T to a 747 captain and almost everything in between.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Any Commercial Pilots here? - 01/20/23
I flew for less than 10 years and now have not touched controls in almost 40 years. I could have gone commercial but do not regret choosing to be something other than a glorified bus driver. I also did not fly privately. In the beginning, that was due to cost amid raising two daughters, but as time went on, it just dropped lower and lower on my "wanna" list. I miss flying, and think of it almost every day. Now, turning 76, I doubt it would be prudent to start again.

I assure you Rocky that if you and Claudia visit us in NH I will get you flying again.

Your last comment is intriguing. The US Freedom Flyers, a pilot association or business, has been getting more requests of late from wealthy businessmen for unvaccinated pilots and crew for their private jets.
© 24hourcampfire