Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Wife is making good money now and I have been long considering a career change once her income got up to where I could make the change. She gave the go ahead to start looking at getting a Commercial Pilot License. Spent some time tonight researching and contacting a few local schools.

Anyone here that can give me an unbiased ear to talk to? These schools seem like they're selling something! And I suppose they are. You can PM me or post here. Would like to talk to someone that has been through the process and knows what the actual job outlook is in the next 25 years.

I'm in my early 30's as well. Little late- but still time to make a career of it I think if I want to.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake

Hey I have spent 25 yrs around civil and ag aviation. All my best friends are accomplished pilots. it is not glamorous, dosent pay well and kinda boring 95% of the time. The other bonuses are lower than average pay and medical issues that can neutralize your entire career in a flash. And the new tech takes alot of the fun out of flying. I would choose another career move and buy yourself a super cub to play with!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My buddy is a pilot for Fedex flying MD-11s. I'm sure he makes a damn good living and I know I'd love to have the amount of time off he gets. He's a training Captain now as well here at the ANC base. I do know he flew some sketchy stuff up here for quite a few years before he made it to where he is. Definitely earned his position.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helicopter single engine commercial/instrument/CFI/CFII
Airplane single engine commercial/instrument/CFI
Airplane multi engine ATP

Had a nice job as a corporate pilot until Ron Reagan fired all the controllers, but the ability to get a flight reservation led to the owner selling the plane. Airlines had all the pilots they needed, but the FAA had a few empty seats in the control rooms.

So I made a living telling pilots where to go. Wasn’t a bad job, pay was good, but sometimes I would have rather been back in Nam.

4,000+ hours in the air gives you an idea what the pilots are thinking.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP... From an old fat bald guy that has been around the block a few times... If it is something that you truly want to do, and your spouse approves, Just Do It...

I chased a dream 15 years ago. Was not successful at it. But gave it my best shot. If I had waited until I retired to give it a whirl, I would not have physically been able to do it. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Joshm28
The town I live in has an excellent commercial training program. In addition they have an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) and conducts check rides onsite at Sanders Aviation. Very few schools can say that.

https://sandersaviation.com/

Most all the " academies" can. I work for part 135. I've worked for a large flight school
I think ATP, CAE, UND, Embry Riddle et al have DPEs on staff.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I know I didn't have the hours to get serious consideration at any position I felt would pay benefits
from all the training hours and certifications... And I had 1500 hours single, multi, and instrument.

Wow thats the opposite to what happened with guys I flew with, some ended up as EMS
pilots. others as offshore captain paying rather well. Essentially they were accepted by
good companies that assisted in advancing their careers.
...I recall going to Anaheim Heli Expo where they were doing interviews .
My colleague had no turbine time, no twin time , etc. (whereas I already had Bell and MD turbine)
He was accepted by a rotary wing operator in Louisiana, he stayed there just over 6 yrs and ended
up as offshore IFR captain in the AW139, as well as; Bell 412, AS350, EC120, which adds up to
2x single turbines and 2x twin turbines all at Co. expense..He took that experience to Saudi Aramco
and is currently an AW139 offshore captain and has been there some yrs now.. and in that time has
added the A109E twin to his CV at Co. expense.
He ain't a multi millionaire but he has US real estate in a neat gated community and can afford
to have his wife as a stay home mom. I have more very similar stories like that from RW colleagues
dating back 25 yrs involving other turbine birds such as MD500E, Bell 206, AS355 twin, AS332 twin,
EC135 twin, EC145 twin. Etc.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
When people asked me how I liked it I always replied “ It beats the hell out of actually working! “. As in most professions there are the good sides and the bad sides. Can be very hard on marriages. Aviation has changed dramatically over the last couple of decades and not for the better in my opinion, especially since 11 Sept 2001.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Back when I was in Ohio I did a lot of Wildland Firefighter Training courses in Reynoldsburg (east side of Columbus).

I mention this because it may be a link (that you had not thought about) to core classes/aviation stuff on Wildland fire.

Link

Lots of aviation on fires... albeit contractors mostly... never know what doors might open and who would pay for what training. Online offerings... Just a thought.

I was Logistics... the network of training at NIFC (nationwide) is EXTENSIVE. https://www.nifc.gov/programs/training

https://www.iat.gov/

Good luck with your hopes and dreams!

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/19/23. Reason: Fixed Link

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just finished up my commercial pilot rating with instrument last summer. From start to finish private pilot to commercial was just under two years and have 400 hours total time. I spent almost 100k doing it which includes training, airplane rental, checkrides, headset, online learning, etc. I did spend more on my training as I did not do a lot of solo work, I always paid to have an instructor with me from a safety standpoint. It’s a lot of work but it’s also a lot of fun. I’m retired so I did it to give me something to do and now I really want to fly skydivers just for the adventure!

PS: I got my pilots license because of the Campfire. Someone on here posted a video during the height of the scamdemic about a guy that landed a King Air after the pilot in command died after takeoff. To whomever posted that video, thank you!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
I just finished up my commercial pilot rating with instrument last summer. From start to finish private pilot to commercial was just under two years and have 400 hours total time. I spent almost 100k doing it which includes training, airplane rental, checkrides, headset, online learning, etc. I did spend more on my training as I did not do a lot of solo work, I always paid to have an instructor with me from a safety standpoint. It’s a lot of work but it’s also a lot of fun. I’m retired so I did it to give me something to do and now I really want to fly skydivers just for the adventure!

PS: I got my pilots license because of the Campfire. Someone on here posted a video during the height of the scamdemic about a guy that landed a King Air after the pilot in command died after takeoff. To whomever posted that video, thank you!

Hey, that's pretty cool - Congrat's!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hi Kingthing0307

First, good on ya'!

Second, I remember that story, and I did post it on several places - 24campfire might have been one!

To others, here is the link to a rather good video taken inside the King Air during the whole event!

/John

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's great.
Good for you

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I currently fly for the company that recently made the news over the holidays for a meltdown. I flew Navy for 20+ years so other than paying for an ATP, everything else was military. Coincidentally, I did my ATP with Sanders Aviation linked above. The very first thing to do is go get a First Class Medical certificate before going forward.

My son is at Endeavor (owned by Delta). He did not have the eye sight for the Navy. We looked at all the big schools and ended up using Epic Flight Academy in New Smyrna Beach, FL. Cost is always a factor and we felt Epic was a good fit of cost vs time to train. The big schools do charge a lot but generally get you through quickly. A small private school is usually cheaper but takes longer to get through everything. I would love to answer any of your specific questions.

Last edited by himmelrr; 01/19/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb

Hi Kingthing0307

First, good on ya'!

Second, I remember that story, and I did post it on several places - 24campfire might have been one!

To others, here is the link to a rather good video taken inside the King Air during the whole event!

/John

That’s the one! Love it when Doug says something like I’ve got a dead guy sitting beside me. Nerves of steel there!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Get an EKG before you bail out of your LEO job.

kwg

Make sure you can pass an FAA class I physical before you commit to anything.

A fellow member in my flying club retired from being a high school science teacher and decided she wanted to be a commercial pilot. She did her private, inst, comm, CFI/II in a year and instructed for a year and was offered a job with NetJets. All very doable without going to a formal school.

I've considered right seat in business jets as a 3rd career but there are other things I'd rather do. I'll stick with my private/instrument and add a float and multi when I have time.

Last edited by Pugs; 01/19/23.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been flying for over 50 years and getting my ticket was one of the best decisions I ever made and I am still actively flying. There are a lot more opportunities open to a commercial pilot today, you simply need to find one that suits you

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I flew for less than 10 years and now have not touched controls in almost 40 years. I could have gone commercial but do not regret choosing to be something other than a glorified bus driver. I also did not fly privately. In the beginning, that was due to cost amid raising two daughters, but as time went on, it just dropped lower and lower on my "wanna" list. I miss flying, and think of it almost every day. Now, turning 76, I doubt it would be prudent to start again.

More than half of my USAF pilot training class went on to the commercial arena after their military commitment. They all say it was the right choice for them - and it probably was. Their jobs ranged from being a Cessna Citation pilot for AT&T to a 747 captain and almost everything in between.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I flew for less than 10 years and now have not touched controls in almost 40 years. I could have gone commercial but do not regret choosing to be something other than a glorified bus driver. I also did not fly privately. In the beginning, that was due to cost amid raising two daughters, but as time went on, it just dropped lower and lower on my "wanna" list. I miss flying, and think of it almost every day. Now, turning 76, I doubt it would be prudent to start again.

I assure you Rocky that if you and Claudia visit us in NH I will get you flying again.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Take some flying lessons before you commit and jump ship from your current career. A few thousand bucks will tell you if you like flying - or are cut out for it at all. In my years as a jet instructor, I learned that there are some people who are just naturals at flying, and others who could never manage to do it no matter how much they wanted it. It would be like me burning to be a concert violinist or pro basketball star. Never ever gonna happen.

There are going to be serious issues regarding pilots and the mandatory clot shot. See the thread on that for particulars. If you've had the shots, you might be SOL as far as getting aboard with an airline after all this shakes out.

Edit: that thread is HERE

Your last comment is intriguing. The US Freedom Flyers, a pilot association or business, has been getting more requests of late from wealthy businessmen for unvaccinated pilots and crew for their private jets.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (260Remguy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,985
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.