Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wife is making good money now and I have been long considering a career change once her income got up to where I could make the change. She gave the go ahead to start looking at getting a Commercial Pilot License. Spent some time tonight researching and contacting a few local schools.

Anyone here that can give me an unbiased ear to talk to? These schools seem like they're selling something! And I suppose they are. You can PM me or post here. Would like to talk to someone that has been through the process and knows what the actual job outlook is in the next 25 years.

I'm in my early 30's as well. Little late- but still time to make a career of it I think if I want to.

Thanks in advance.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you looking at working for a Part 121 Operator or 135? Rotary wing or fixed?

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 160user
Are you looking at working for a Part 121 Operator or 135? Rotary wing or fixed?

Fixed. But I wouldn't be opposed to learning both later in life as time allows.

As for the first part I suppose the answer is both. Seems like most have to start 135 before getting to 121.

I'm very new at this. Was only a dream until the last week or so when I've begun seriously considering it as an option and might still be only a dream.

Have a few calls out waiting to hear back from the schools and discuss things more in depth.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the Fire members is a retired commercial pilot. He might pipe in.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a nephew who is a trainer, at a school near Tulsa.
He may be a bit biased - but he is honest.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've got a nephew who is a trainer, at a school near Tulsa.
He may be a bit biased - but he is honest.

I'll PM you.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
What I spent in 1969 to get my ratings would not get you to the airport in a cab.....so I hope you realize just how much $$$$ you are talking about investing in your dream. I spent 55 years flying and getting paid for a lot of it....but.....you better like hotel living and fast food. When I retired in 2011 I had somewhere around 30,000 hours and was typed in B 722,737,757 and 767 oh add a Citation to that also. I miss the airplane and some of the people but not the company. But most of all I miss the sky....some here will understand that I hope.
With that said, if you have questions, pm me and I will try to help.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hardway
I don't know chit about flying but if you have a chance to do something that makes you happy I would go for it. I "fell" into a high paying trade at a young age that I never really enjoyed..... got married, had kids, bought a house, and became trapped doing something that I eventually hated.

I'm in law enforcement. Have been since 2012.

It already "ain't what it used to be"

I can do this until I retire. But I think I'd be happier doing something else.

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fgold767
What I spent in 1969 to get my ratings would not get you to the airport in a cab.....so I hope you realize just how much $$$$ you are talking about investing in your dream. I spent 55 years flying and getting paid for a lot of it....but.....you better like hotel living and fast food. When I retired in 2011 I had somewhere around 30,000 hours and was typed in B 722,737,757 and 767 oh add a Citation to that also. I miss the airplane and some of the people but not the company. But most of all I miss the sky....some here will understand that I hope.
With that said, if you have questions, pm me and I will try to help.

We can pay for it. But it's a big chunk of our money. Figure we're young enough to recover with the difference in what I'd be making over the career.
Thank you. PM on the way.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am a private pilot, not commercial, but taught an aviation science course at a local high school for a rew years. I have a few prior students in the commercial pipeline and a few friends who are commercial pilots. You’re welcome to PM me if you’d like. Just so you know at the start, I think it’s a great idea and if I was younger would do it myself. Many options for employment.

Frank

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fshaw
I am a private pilot, not commercial, but taught an aviation science course at a local high school for a rew years. I have a few prior students in the commercial pipeline and a few friends who are commercial pilots. You’re welcome to PM me if you’d like. Just so you know at the start, I think it’s a great idea and if I was younger would do it myself. Many options for employment.

Frank

Pm coming your way

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Originally Posted by hardway

I'm in law enforcement. Have been since 2012.

It already "ain't what it used to be"

I can do this until I retire. But I think I'd be happier doing something else.

Don't want to leave if it's not the right move for me though so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and talk to whoever I can to make sure I'm making a smart move.

-Jake

As soon as you hit 50 or 25 years of service, BAIL!

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sometimes I feel like I got that 25 already

In all honesty I've got it pretty good. I do allot of our training and recerts. So I spend about 25% of my time training.

But I've had the itch to get out for a while now. The last few years have kinda sucked the joy out of it for me.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's been a while, but.

From 1976-1983

Private Pilot, multi-Engine, Instrument....

Commercial Pilot multi-Engine Instrument Airplane

Flight instructor, Multi-Engine Instrument Airplane

Air Transport Pilot Single/Multi Engine Airplane

Chief Pilot Part 135 Air Taxi Operator (fancy title for charter pilot)

What I spent getting this wouldn't pay for 1 Semester at your Embry Riddle type schools............ some have already said!!

PS: I only hit ONE student.

They're ALL trying to kill you............

Fuel guy screws up - Pilots die
Mechanic screws up - Pilots die
Air Traffic Control screws up - Pilots die
Pilots screw up - pilots die

And I'd do it all over, and more.......

Last edited by Muffin; 01/17/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
PM Sent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought many of the airlines were paying people to go to flight school nowadays, due to the impending pilot shortage?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get right seat in a King Air with 300 hours with the outfit I work for currently.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You have the support of your wife, so do something you’ll be happy with. You’ll both be happier. I know about “ain’t what it used to be”. Worked for a public utility for 34yrs. First 7 we’re ok. Middle 20 we’re really good. The last 7, the first word out of my mouth every morning was fuukk. Was too old, and had too much time invested to change. You’re young. Do it.

Home Of The Mollies
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I thought many of the airlines were paying people to go to flight school nowadays, due to the impending pilot shortage?

I didn't see that in any of my searches. But I didn't look for that specifically.

I'll look into it tomorrow. That would certainly be helpful as long as they don't require a 25 year commitment and my left arm. Although I probably do not have a strong resume for something like that. I have a B.A. and ten years in a duty belt with some instructor certifications to go with it.

Not really beneficial to an airline.

Thank you for all the responses and PMs. Got more info than I expected and a couple additional phone calls lined up for tomorrow.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.