Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking into getting a dual fuel heat pump furnace system in our new house. Will be talking to the builder and HVAC guy about it.

But I'd like some real world opinions.

Anyone here run such a set up?

Carpe' Scrotum

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
From what I've been told, a heat pump alone is not enough, thus, you also need a furnace.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I get that. But some are able to look at the outside temps and determine which is more efficient. Also, I think, that some can look at prices and determine which is cheaper.

Carpe' Scrotum
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, I have one. Pretty standard equipment in this area.

In this location (Kansas City MO area), the air-to-air heat pump is set to run when ambient temp is above 40 degrees (+/-). Below 40 and the gas furnace kicks in. I've been in my house 17 years and all works fine. Anymore when its time for heat, I just run the furnace and 'shut out' the heat pump. Doesn't take much to get below 40 degrees on a regular basis and didn't want to mess with the outside unit running.

He went over yonder way
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heeler
Yes, I have one. Pretty standard equipment in this area.

In this location (Kansas City MO area), the air-to-air heat pump is set to run when ambient temp is above 40 degrees (+/-). Below 40 and the gas furnace kicks in. I've been in my house 17 years and all works fine. Anymore when its time for heat, I just run the furnace and 'shut out' the heat pump. Doesn't take much to get below 40 degrees on a regular basis and didn't want to mess with the outside unit running.

So in your case you're running it more as a furnace/aircon system.

Thanks!

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Whatever you do, good luck with it Steve.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
94 % efficient gas furnace plus 13 SEER AC downstairs. Any higher "efficiency" is fan speed gimmicks more than anything. Heat pump up. Doubtful the extra unit complexity and cost of the combo unit pencils out. Insulation is more important than anything. I finally relented and went spray foam. The difference in cost has easily been recuperated. And the air quality is better, less fine dust, etc. Every customer has been pleased. Sealed crawl space too if that's a thing out there.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We`ve had 1 for 15 yrs .Been very happy with it. North Ar. Set up like Heelers , propane, When the heat comes on warms up house fast. Expensive at first but worth it..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the past decade or so, heat pumps have come a loooong way. I don't have a dual system, but I do have NG in the main house and a heat pump in the guest house. It was put in two years ago and is amazingly efficient. You see guys installing them in cold climates even in the minus zero range.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
When I bought my 900 sq ft lake house it had a 20 yo Lennox 1.5 ton heat pump and electric aux heat. I did an addition and added 700 sq ft of conditioned space and changed out my HVAC to dual fuel. New system is a 3 ton heat pump + propane furnace.
Cost to operate the old unit was about $250 - $300 a month in the summer and about the same for heat in the winter.
For reference this house is in N Georgia.
After the renovation the operating cost dropped. My average electric bill was around $90 - $110 a month year round and I spent about $350 a year on propane. Pretty amazing since I had increased the conditioned space by about 40%.
I sold the place a little more than a year ago when the market for lake houses was so high I couldn't pass up the offers I was getting.
I imagine Propane costs are higher now but the saving at the time was real.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
IC B3

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys. Gonna go with the traditional furnace / aircon combo.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Heat pumps useless here! In fact we’ve quit using our forced-air furnace and are using only a 30K btu ventless decorative stove! Well only it, until we had that little cool snap with a minus 30 one morning ……then we had to fire-up a little 10K ventless that we have upstairs! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you believe the hype heat pumps will work down to 30 below... ha ha. I asked my buddy who had a heat pump installed in NY (long island).. it struggles at 30 above and electric on LI is very $$$.

They sold and moved to NC .

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by richj
If you believe the hype heat pumps will work down to 30 below... ha ha. I asked my buddy who had a heat pump installed in NY (long island).. it struggles at 30 above and electric on LI is very $$$.

They sold and moved to NC .

Great.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When we had our house built the price of NG was up and electricity was down, so we had a high efficiency furnace and heat pump installed. We don't use the heat pump in Winter now and when it crumps I'll have a good A/C unit installed.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heat pumps and AC can do the same thing, depending on how you have them set up except that AC won't supply heat. The name of the game is efficiency and even if the heat pump/AC only runs part of the year and the furnace takes over the heating chores when it gets really cold you are still going to be more efficient than just the standard AC unit alone. The new split units are very efficient and if everything is sized properly the heat pump will handle 90% of the heating/cooling chores of your home and the furnace will simply be your air handler.

The house we are starting our build on in a couple months will definitely have a heat pump/AC unit tied into the furnace....

Last edited by Sheister; 01/19/23.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve
Looking into getting a dual fuel heat pump furnace system in our new house. Will be talking to the builder and HVAC guy about it.

But I'd like some real world opinions.

Anyone here run such a set up?
Only way to go. Got tired of running the AC in the winter to "unfreeze" the electric heat pump. Mom can stand in front of the vent and let the warm air blow up her skirts and smiles.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.