Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting cross species jump of the avian flu

"KALISPELL — Three juvenile grizzly bears tested positive for the highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus this fall.

Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks say the three bears, one near Augusta, one near Dupuyer, and another near Kalispell, were observed to be in poor condition and exhibited disorientation and partial blindness, among other neurological issues. They were euthanized due to their sickness and poor condition.

Grizzly Bears Avian Flu Map
MTN News
FWP reports the three bears were the first documented cases of HPAI in grizzly bears.

A fox and a skunk in Montana also tested positive for HPAI last year, and the virus has been found in raccoons, black bears and a coyote in other states and countries.

“We suspect these mammals probably get the virus from consuming infected birds,” said FWP Wildlife Veterinarian Jennifer Ramsey.

Avian influenza (AI) virus is a naturally occurring virus in birds. AI viruses are classified into two groups, based on the severity of disease they cause in infected poultry. Low pathogenic AI viruses generally cause no clinical illness, or only minor symptoms in birds. HPAI viruses are extremely infectious and fatal to poultry and some species of wild birds.

Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [lnks.gd] (CDC) considers risk of HPAI spread to humans to be very low, Montanans should take precautions when handling game birds, sick or dead birds and mammals they find. Whenever possible, avoid contact with sick or dead wildlife. Even if an animal is not suspected to have died from a contagious disease, gloves should always be worn if a dead animal must be handled for disposal."

https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-n...positive-for-highly-pathogenic-avian-flu

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know nutting about grizz...but I have NEVER seen anything a black bear wouldn't eat. So I don't eat bear.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Do you eat chicken or pork? Same thing, except most of those are raised in more pristine conditions than the wild.

I'm running out of wild meat. Time to go get a young spring Black as soon as they come out, if my wife isn't running my ass all over the state/country/world. "Vacations", doncha know? From being retired.....

Bah, humbug!

Last edited by las; 01/18/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by las
Do you eat chicken or pork? Same thing, except most of those are raised in more pristine conditions than the wild.

I'm running out of wild meat. Time to go get a young spring Black as soon as they come out, if my wife isn't running my ass all over the state/country/world. "Vacations", doncha know? From being retired.....

Bah, humbug!
las, Hah, you are right...but one thing down here that I just can't get out of my mind, about the first of October the spawned out Kings pretty well decorate the gravel bars and creek banks...putrid semi liquefied dead fish...foxes schidt on them, coyotes will occasionally roll on them, the ravens glide above, disgusted with the whole affair...and the black bear laps them up like ice cream. I'm swallowing like a mud duck just thinking about it.
Women?... you work most your life, often away (go further north dear, send home more money), in retirement you crave the peace of home and hearth. The woman says, oh good, you're retired now, we can go see and do things. Aarrgh.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,157
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.