Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Perhaps its because I've operated within a narrow band of mediocrity most all my life, I found out that, "it is best not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good"

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Amen to that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thankful for it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Perhaps its because I've operated within a narrow band of mediocrity most all my life, I found out that, "it is best not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good"

ya!

GWB

If your knives are mediocre, i dont think I want to witness superb.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Making something that cuts is so easy, a caveman can do it.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For me perfect means something I can get shaving sharp very easy in field conditions. Over the years I've moved away from thick indestructible blades made from super steel to very thin simple carbon steel blades.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
after some 60+ years of searching for that perfect knife, I find that its still elusive. I damn sure love the ones I have though.

Sam......

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Just my opinion but like all things knife design is a balance of all factors, blade design, blade length, thickness, grind, steel, edge retention, toughness, handle design and so on. I’ve have used in the past an Opinel No.8, a Svord peasant knife, a Mora, a Schrade 125OT and found them all perfect at the time. As long as I can sharpen them to a fine edge they have all performed well. Are they perfect, no but they can get the job done. The search continues.

Nick

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I get closer year after year and the steel makers keep giving me more of what I want which means I need to redefine perfect.

I guess I should be happy that I keep moving to something better.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had a custom skinning knife made works well on deer and elk , matter fact i am having another one like mine made for my son too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just my opinion, but I do not believe the "perfect" knife exists. Having had the opportunity to make
specked out knives for others and myself, I don't think the expression of (........ would be perfect) has
been achieved. There are much better than me makers out there but I doubt the perfect knife
has been made. Even if one were perfect for one person, it would not be for another.
A near perfect knife would be one that does the job at hand as well or better than expected.

If I were only allowed one knife, it would probably be a drop point with 3.5" cutting edge, comfortable
handle and a very good stain resistant steel. It would do some things very well and most anything in a pinch.

How did that knife work?
Really great!
Perfect!

Just my 2 cents.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty sure it will be my next one. smile In the meantime, I like Tim's assessment.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Just my opinion, but I do not believe the "perfect" knife exists. Having had the opportunity to make
specked out knives for others and myself, I don't think the expression of (........ would be perfect) has
been achieved. There are much better than me makers out there but I doubt the perfect knife
has been made. Even if one were perfect for one person, it would not be for another.
A near perfect knife would be one that does the job at hand as well or better than expected.

If I were only allowed one knife, it would probably be a drop point with 3.5" cutting edge, comfortable
handle and a very good stain resistant steel. It would do some things very well and most anything in a pinch.

How did that knife work?
Really great!
Perfect!

Just my 2 cents.
. Amen

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think "perfect" exists in absolute terms but I'm pretty sure "better" exists which is why I keep buying more. smile

Often times, the job matters. A great general purpose tool is a compromise which may not be very good for any specific chore. Skinning? Gutting? Quartering? Processing / cutting steaks? Scraping hides? Batoning wood? Spreading butter? Etc! And the person it's for matters .. we vary in strength, dexterity, and experience. Sometimes a really good folder is ideal, other times a fixed blade is better. Usually I "need" 2 different knives if not more. .. and my needs have evolved over time.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RHClark
For me perfect means something I can get shaving sharp very easy in field conditions. Over the years I've moved away from thick indestructible blades made from super steel to very thin simple carbon steel blades.

this is the way I am headed......any recommendations as far as makers.....bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

Mike miller, he posted above, can fix you up.

Makes great knives.

Used one this season on 2 deer so far…

He’ll hollow grind 3/32” stock. Slicey dicey…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

Mike miller, he posted above, can fix you up.

Makes great knives.

Used one this season on 2 deer so far…

He’ll hollow grind 3/32” stock. Slicey dicey…

Never bought many custom knives. I've made a bunch with bought blades and forged some. That being the case, I like a Carbon steel Mora with a custom handle about as well as anything I've ever owned. If you factor in price of less than $20 for a Mora VS what something from a custom maker charges you see why I started doing my own. Make no mistake though, a maker earns every dollar and is getting very little for his labor. I just have always had more time than money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll never say anything about a guy that uses any kind of knife….

I’ll got plenty of inexpensive knives.

But i do like having custom knife made the way i want it.

I’ve got a couple drawers of knives i thought were going to be “the one”. 😂😂

That’s the fun of it.

No different than guys that like guns, whiskey, cigars, watches, etc…. A cheap one will do the same as an expensive one in most cases.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ll never say anything about a guy that uses any kind of knife….

I’ll got plenty of inexpensive knives.

But i do like having custom knife made the way i want it.

I’ve got a couple drawers of knives i thought were going to be “the one”. 😂😂

That’s the fun of it.

No different than guys that like guns, whiskey, cigars, watches, etc…. A cheap one will do the same as an expensive one in most cases.
I got the itch way back and bought a custom Arkansas made Bob Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner in Bighorn sheep. I also bought a nice big Bowie from Fernham for about $500. They are both real nice but there isn't anything I could do with them that I can't do with a good machete or hatchet and a Mora for about $30 for both. I like them all but the older I get the more they are just tools, and I can treat a cheap tool rough if I need to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.