Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Popular in Europe. Its way way different than traditional american black licorice

Who tried it and likes it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you mean, TRIED it? Grew up on the stuff. The stor would have 30 or more varieties, sold by weight, get however much you want.

Of course, the GOOD stores or vendors at the weekly market would have 50, even 100 different varieties. Hard, soft, in between, square, round, diamond shape, rods, cubes, sugared, colored, if you can imagine it,they made it.

I’m a simple “double salt” aficionado.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Licorice or taffy? I’ve never heard of salt licorice… but seeing I can empty a bottle of Morton’s in a few weeks think I’d like it.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mtj21
Licorice or taffy? I’ve never heard of salt licorice… but seeing I can empty a bottle of Morton’s in a few weeks think I’d like it.

Licorice, it's way different. I put a bag of it at work with a sign, Have some european Salt Licorice. After 30 minutes someone put a trash can next to the table it was on and most everyone spit it out into the trash, except for one women from Netherlands. She gobbled the rest of the bag down. Its way different from taffy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never heard of it - will have to try and find some.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://matadornetwork.com/read/salty-licorice-dutch-culture/

Americans think of candy as the apex of pleasure. We use it to relieve stress, to conjure up child-like joy, to escape reality and enter a paradise of cotton candy clouds and gum drop rainbows. Zoute Drop contradicts all of that, from how physically taxing it is to consume to its gloomy color. And that’s to say nothing of its odd flavor, which seems to flummox the taste buds of foreigners. It’s easier to think of Zoute Drop as a treat closer to a savory biscuit rather than a candy; a midday snack that you might find accompanying a cup of coffee or tea.

There is some mischievous trickery at work here. Zoute Drop looks so utterly unremarkable, so ordinary, that its intense flavor comes as a complete shock. It’s not just salty, although that’s the sharpest flavor. Zoute Drop is bitter-like cough syrup from the ammonium chloride, chased with the spice of black pepper. There’s sourness, too, somewhere in there — not a citrus sour, but pickled cabbage. The flavor is, no matter how you describe it, pungent; it lingers on your tongue and the back of your teeth.

There are many varieties: The diamond-shaped Zoute Drop and the coin design my father favored are mildly, though still palpably, salty. But it’s Dubbel Zout (double salt) rounds stamped with the capital DZ initials that are the most infamous variety. The hallmark of Dubbel Zout is that it makes your mouth pucker and turn to sandpaper. A salty firework bursts on your tongue, lingering only a few moments. Once the initial shock of salt wears off, Dubbel Zout becomes just a regular piece of Dutch licorice — yet most non-Dutch people don’t get past that first minute or two without a serious struggle.

For all its strangeness, Zoute Drop remains one of the Netherlands’ culinary treasures. The average Dutch person eats four pounds of it per year, making them the largest consumers of salty licorice in the world. It’s so beloved throughout Scandinavia and the Netherlands that it’s been affectionately nicknamed “black gold.”

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Excellent description there Dutch. You have described it way more better than I ever could.
Grew up eating that stuff all the time but haven't had any for a couple years now. Guess I'm getting away from my roots a little bit.

Still have some anise milk cubes in the cupboard though.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ironically, I never was much of a drop consumer, a piece would do me for months or even a year.

Now cheese….that’s a whole other matter. I can go through wheels of Gouda, or even better, Gouda with cumin (komijne kaas). There’s a great little Dutch store in Salt Lake City where you can all those goodies, plus gems like pickled herring (rollmops), and they do mail order.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Ironically, I never was much of a drop consumer, a piece would do me for months or even a year.

Now cheese….that’s a whole other matter. I can go through wheels of Gouda, or even better, Gouda with cumin (komijne kaas). There’s a great little Dutch store in Salt Lake City where you can all those goodies, plus gems like pickled herring (rollmops), and they do mail order.

Name of the store?

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Old Dutch Store

I can’t get their web page to come up, but their Facebook page is at:

https://www.facebook.com/olddutchstore/

Oliebollen every Saturday in January!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Dutch
https://matadornetwork.com/read/salty-licorice-dutch-culture/

Americans think of candy as the apex of pleasure. We use it to relieve stress, to conjure up child-like joy, to escape reality and enter a paradise of cotton candy clouds and gum drop rainbows. Zoute Drop contradicts all of that, from how physically taxing it is to consume to its gloomy color. And that’s to say nothing of its odd flavor, which seems to flummox the taste buds of foreigners. It’s easier to think of Zoute Drop as a treat closer to a savory biscuit rather than a candy; a midday snack that you might find accompanying a cup of coffee or tea.

There is some mischievous trickery at work here. Zoute Drop looks so utterly unremarkable, so ordinary, that its intense flavor comes as a complete shock. It’s not just salty, although that’s the sharpest flavor. Zoute Drop is bitter-like cough syrup from the ammonium chloride, chased with the spice of black pepper. There’s sourness, too, somewhere in there — not a citrus sour, but pickled cabbage. The flavor is, no matter how you describe it, pungent; it lingers on your tongue and the back of your teeth.

There are many varieties: The diamond-shaped Zoute Drop and the coin design my father favored are mildly, though still palpably, salty. But it’s Dubbel Zout (double salt) rounds stamped with the capital DZ initials that are the most infamous variety. The hallmark of Dubbel Zout is that it makes your mouth pucker and turn to sandpaper. A salty firework bursts on your tongue, lingering only a few moments. Once the initial shock of salt wears off, Dubbel Zout becomes just a regular piece of Dutch licorice — yet most non-Dutch people don’t get past that first minute or two without a serious struggle.

For all its strangeness, Zoute Drop remains one of the Netherlands’ culinary treasures. The average Dutch person eats four pounds of it per year, making them the largest consumers of salty licorice in the world. It’s so beloved throughout Scandinavia and the Netherlands that it’s been affectionately nicknamed “black gold.”

I had a good friend that had a Grandmother that got me hooked on that stuff as a kid.
I was up to the triple and 4 Zoute stuff when the only store in Utah closed.

I have thought about that stuff from time to time over the years.

Maybe I will hunt the stuff down again Loved it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 4th_point, 8 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,021
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.