Farm subsidies included ?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
I'm in my 25th year of teaching elementary special education. With a summer school addendum, 60K and some change last year.

Even here in MT that is notorious for low wages, you would be making way way more than that as a sped teacher. Especially with that much experience.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Remsen
I'll answer honestly, with the understanding that there will be some manure flipped back at me for saying this.

When we lived in California, our combined income was in the range of $1.3 million a year at its peak. I got tired of working so much and having that level of pressure just to make someone else even richer so I went solo, then started a non-profit, and my income dropped by about 90%. My wife was a bit late to that way of thinking and she was the one pulling in more than half of the income, but she also got tired of living her life so others could be billionaires (and she was working longer hours than I was, with a 3+ hour commute each day).

So she's now mostly retired and most of my work is non-profit. We make less than 10% of what we used to, but we have WAY better quality of life in Montana, lower costs of living, lower taxes and more freedom.

There's a time and place to put up with the rat race, but if you spend too much of your life chasing wealth you won't be happy.

That is a concept that many find extremely difficult to grasp.

Montana MOFO
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I majored in journalism which was a waste of time. And I dropped out to take a job to try to get ahead.

And 20 years later I am still not ahead and pretty much stuck where I am.

So...what do I make? Stupid career decisions mostly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
At my old job, I was making $88,500 plus bonus (IF we got it. Depended on the year)

Myself and 49 others were let go in April of 2020 (covid hysteria) when corporate sharpened their pencils. 27 years of loyalty down the drain. I did get a nice severance package. That helped.

Now I work 6 rural miles from home at a job with 150% less stress, making just over $54k and happier than I have been in my adult life.

Money isn't everything.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m bringing home $4,200 a month after insurances, retirement and taxes. Currently able to stash away more than a quarter of that against getting hit before too long with home renovation and eventually dental and probably medical expenses.

No complaints since I haven’t actually worked for a living in so long it’s hard to recall, and I only have to show up at “work” 190 days a year.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
two bits...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Millions.
Come on...you know everyone in California is making Millions.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nothing, retired two years ago. Wife makes 73 k on her retirement plan.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Millions.
Come on...you know everyone in California is making Millions.

Yep. And they take double.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Pards be cashing checks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😂🦫

Wheys ya gin and juice?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I make a bit more than twice what Fishnnut1 makes.

Plus a car.

Selling drugs is a good gig.

And my wife makes more than I do.

And a better car.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a farming operation, the redhead and I each draw a modest (35K) salary, health insurance and retirement deal. We’ve been plowing just about all the profit back into the operation, so though we “make” well into six figures, we don’t take that home. Not sure I could figure out how to spend another 100K every year on “stuff”. Pretty content with the setup we have.

Between the paid off house, kids off the payroll, and driving a farm vehicle, there’s not much in expenses. Neither of us are spenders, and the cost of living is low with buying our pork and beef from local farms, so there’s always money left in the budget we have to figure out what to do with. It’s about time to go to the old country this summer for my mom’s 95th, now that the Covidiocy has died down. May go see Prague or Vienna, never been that far East. As long as we’re back for sharp tail season…..

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you farming with the Ford Maverick still, Dutch?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Thank you to those that gave honest replies.

Remson, your truthful reply I find very interesting.

My sister is a lawyer in the bay area and she used to make major cash. But she tired of the crazy calls at 2AM from the higher ups and finally couldn't take it any longer.

She now has a M-F job where she does legal work for one of the counties down there and she is much happier.

Same deal with my brother. He is a dentist and went from running his own practice in southern CA to working for a practice in South Dakota. He is also happier.

It's all about perspective. My mom arrived in the US with what she was wearing and twenty cents (I don't recall the story of that, but it was given to her before she was released from the concentration camp) and my dad's family had a similar story. We all worked hard when we were kids, from paper routes to delivering furniture and hauling scrap metal. I used to get a $3.50 paycheck for the paper route (weekly) and I got paid $20 a day for the delivery/scrap metal work. My first real job after college paid $15k a year in the late 1980s. When I got out of law school, I was making big bucks at the time $60k to start, and when I left NYC I was making over $300k a year, then it went up from there in CA. The price for that was, as your sister experienced, 24/7 working and ridiculous amounts of stress.

It's nice to be able to do something like walk into a car dealer and drive off with a $140k car without even thinking about whether the check you just wrote will clear. It's even nicer to wake up in the morning knowing that whatever you have is paid for and you are happiest driving your older pickup to go hunting and never having to give a second though to how many emails/texts/voicemails will be waiting for you when you get home. I wouldn't change a thing about the years working my butt off for big money, but that's something folks should do between about age 25 and 50. If you keep chasing money after that age, you have lost the game.

There is no other place in the world where poor refugees can go from nothing to millionaires in a generation! Even more amazing is that Remsen's family story is not unique. The simple fact that one is born as an American means you have already won the lottery of human history.

405wcf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make about $55k/annual with about $20k in housing benefit that is not considered taxable income plus health insurance for me and the family and an 11% pension. One could argue that I'm the CEO of a small non-profit. For those of you who actually know what I do, I hope you're chuckling. I hold a Bachelor's Degree of Music Education and a masters degree.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I started a new job today, delivering soda/beer in eastern Montana..

Took a cut in pay from the oilfield.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I make $45 per hr. and work about 1,100 hrs. a year. Once in a while I get a good job on my own and make between $60 and $80 per hour. I have been a carpenter for 41 yrs. I could work more, but I am darn tired after 6 hrs. Hanging drywall and doing tile floors are just getting to be too much at almost 60 yrs old now. I dont even want to completely retire though. I want to make enough money to keep myself from burning up all my dividneds from our retirement accounts.. I work about 24 hrs a week?? Many times I only work a few days. Depends on the weather and sometimes I finish ahead of time and go home early. If I am not tired and the weather is ok, I go fishing, hunting, scouting for deer or cut firewood. After dark, I read up on investments and go on the 24 hr. and wonder how so many people make so much money..

Last edited by ihookem; 01/23/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 13,377 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,126
Posts18,542,317
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.