Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
150 gr @3000 fps with quock swaps to 6.5 CM and 308.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/01/17/shot-show-2023-sig-mcx-spear-6-5-creedmoor/

custom 22" barrel 277 Fury would be how much faster ???

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cool.
I have AR10's in .308.
All ya need is a barrel swap and just shoot the .277 Fury STANDARD ammo in brass case and rock on.
Start stocking up on .277 bullets in the 130-140 range and have a ball.

Best
HeavyDove

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 277 Fury has no allure to me for 1 reason. Lack of reloadability! The ammo is expensive and I expect quite hard to come by, and the availability may get better sometime soon. But I'm betting the price will not.

The 277 does from a 16 inch barrel what the 270 Winchester will do from a 24 inch barrel. So the ballistics seem very good.

But I want to see real-world results from real users on barrel life however, considering it's 80,000+ PSI pressure. Some say Sig's new steel is giving them excellent bore life. I'll wait to see if end users can verify that.

For me, because I am less impressed with numbers then I am with actual results in the field, I'd be happier with a 7-08 in a 22 inch barrel. That's what I have made for several men and all have been very happy with the rifles. The 16" is short and handy, and I don't deny that, but can't see that much value in the field in terms of dollars over a longer 7-08 which is a shell I can reload. The 6 inches less overall length has no real value to me at all ----let alone a value of + $2000 more when a comparable 7-08 made with a 22 inch barrel does the same job. Others may disagree and if so, they can spend $4200+ on a rifle, a whole lot on the ammo and maybe a whole lot more for several barrels ...... if we find that the bore life is short.

I am a gun-fan and I find the whole thing quite interesting, so I AM watching from the sidelines.

But for me, because I am not a wealthy man, I will simply watch for a few years.

A 284" 150 grain at about 2900 FPS from a 22" barrel is just fine with me. in 50 years of killing elk and seeing elk killed with 7X57s and 7-08s I can't see much to gripe about with that. The .277 150 grain at 3000 IS going to be a bit better especially at longer ranges, but only if the accuracy remains for a round count high enough to make practice realistic. If bore life is poor such a gain in speed and BC is of no value.

I am going to be waiting to see, but I'd not spend that much on the rifle and never agree to buy ammo that I can't reload.

My money, my choice.
No better than anyone eases, but no less either.

Last edited by szihn; 01/23/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are TWO kinds of cases for the .277 Sig Fury.
Both are and will be used by our troops. And it will be our main battle rifle cartridge so they will make tons and tons of this stuff.

1. The hybrid case that is made up of a steel base and a brass body. This is the HIGH PRESSURE case that will achieve the 80,000 psi for our military. Which is more than likely going to be used for actual combat, where barrel life is not a concern.

2 The traditional ALL brass case that is loaded to LOWER pressures for practice and training for our military...This is the case I and many others will be using once its out and about. It will be available as hunting ammunition and has already been used in a few Youtuber vids in that same role.

So eventually cheap brass or hell, form it if you want, dies too will available, etc. etc.
Bullets, all the 6.8 spc stuff if you want super speed and some of the .270 win choices that will fit the twist rate and well, there ya go.

All of this will come down the road a bit but it is coming....not that far down the road either.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 01/23/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh that's good news. If an all brass case is going to be available I may look at it a bit more closely.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I feel the "Fury" will fail miserably. All it really offers is a louder AR10 style weapon, same ammo weight or nearly so. Max capacity is 50 rounds. No matter how you look at it other than a specialized sniper version the whole system has nothing on the AR10 which they should have gone with and just changed uppers. the case design is utter idiocy. There will be very few instances where this set up would improve on the 7.62x51 and in several areas it fails to match it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I want a fury AR to keep my face warm when it's cold as hell at the range!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
There are TWO kinds of cases for the .277 Sig Fury.
Both are and will be used by our troops. And it will be our main battle rifle cartridge so they will make tons and tons of this stuff.

1. The hybrid case that is made up of a steel base and a brass body. This is the HIGH PRESSURE case that will achieve the 80,000 psi for our military. Which is more than likely going to be used for actual combat, where barrel life is not a concern.

2 The traditional ALL brass case that is loaded to LOWER pressures for practice and training for our military...This is the case I and many others will be using once its out and about. It will be available as hunting ammunition and has already been used in a few Youtuber vids in that same role.

So eventually cheap brass or hell, form it if you want, dies too will available, etc. etc.
Bullets, all the 6.8 spc stuff if you want super speed and some of the .270 win choices that will fit the twist rate and well, there ya go.

All of this will come down the road a bit but it is coming....not that far down the road either.

I really doubt it will be used for more than a lite machine gun and a DMR role.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.277 Fury?
.....and what's up with this 2 piece case?

Why not just go to the .270 Redding?
The parent case is the .243 Win.
While I would prefer to neck down a .308 Win case, the general consensus is to buy a box of .243 Win ammo and fire form it in your .270 Redding. (?)

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I become more convinced every day that most gun owners don't ever read a gun magazine.

Put 277 Fury in your browser and you'll get a page full of hits answering any question you might have EXCEPT when will the rifles and HV ammo.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Hybrid case composed of steel and brass is designed to handle the extreme high pressure of 80,000 psi. The base is steel to keep the primer pocket from blowing out and a rupture from the sides.
This and the standard all brass case is a Sig Saur design....yeah they could have and probable did look at the .270 Redding and used it as a starting point. There is a good amount of info on the web about how and why this case was designed for its ROLES that it needs to full fill.

The military wants/wanted...(they got it)....a single cartridge to run with instead of a .5.56 and .308 being toted around in groups of soldiers. Everybody has the same ammo.

Remember it is designed to "overmatch" anyone on the field of combat and defeat any form of body armor being use today and the near future. Yes, that is debatable up to a point.

There are tests viewable on the web from Sig for the dual role ....intermediate machinegun/common infantry rifle

Lots of reading available.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 01/24/23.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
I become more convinced every day that most gun owners don't ever read a gun magazine.

Put 277 Fury in your browser and you'll get a page full of hits answering any question you might have EXCEPT when will the rifles and HV ammo.

I was thinking the same. What rock do these folks live under?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Originally Posted by MrMuskie

I was thinking the same. What rock do these folks live under?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Can you imagine the bi-metallic case in a 28" Ruger No. 1 ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SIZZLE SIZZLE...!!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Expect this cartridge will do a great job of clarifying disposable in disposable rifle barrels.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh my God! A 120gr-160gr bullet traveling at 2600fps-3000fps! In a .277!

Wait, Yawn…..

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
3000 fps w/150 gr bullet.
That's in a 16" bbl far more in 26"
Ballistics 101.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.