Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Non-native, invasive species, competing with wildlife for scarce resources in the desert.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2023...ughtered-nevada-wild-horses/69837025007/

More than a year after five wild horses were slaughtered outside Ely, the Bureau of Land Management and wild horse advocacy groups are still seeking answers as to who killed the horses and why.

In November of 2021, five horses were discovered within 600 yards of each other about two miles south of Hwy. 50 in Jakes Valley.

An aborted horse fetus was attached to one of the dead horses. Another horse was found alive, but it was wounded so severely it was euthanized.

A necropsy revealed the horses were 18 months to six years old. The BLM estimates they were killed within 24 hours of their discovery.

A $25,000 reward is now being offered for information leading to the arrest of who shot and mortally wounded the horses. The National Mustang Association contributed $10,000, American wild horse campaign contributed $5,000 and Wild Horse Education added $5,000.

The 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burro Act of 1971 declares the animals “be protected from capture, branding, harassment, or death.”

In 1998, nearly three dozen wild horses were shot to death at close range with a rifle in a canyon east of Reno. Some were maimed, and at least one was tortured after being shot.

Three Wooster High School graduates were eventually arrested for the shootings. The men were accused of grand theft, grand larceny and poisoning, and maiming or killing another person’s animal.

The 1998 slaughter was believed to be the largest single shooting of wild horses in the state since the mid-1980’s, when roughly 600 horses were killed over a two-year period due to friction with ranchers, the BLM said at the time.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That should be a reward for thinning the herd.

I don't hate horses, but I hate those 4-legged locust. They have NO niche in any North American echo system and destroy the habitat for native species.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn’t even mind a few of them running around, but they have no natural predators and destroy the range. Madeline Pickens, the uber rich wife of T Boone; bought a ranch about five miles south of us when I lived in NV. She filled it full of those things. Her (well, his) money I guess but of all the things to waste it on. BLM does a piss poor job of managing them; mostly so they can complain about scarce resources and get more money. Because, you know, the millions they already get for this specific job isn’t enough. It must be tens of thousands they spend annually per horse! They can be easily controlled by turning them into dog food but there’s no tax dollars to be had from that!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The price zoo keepers have to pay for beef to feed their carnivores is outrageous. Why not horses?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are way too logical, and sane.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pretty sure a training program for a lot less $ would improve that person's marksmanship. #tagdon'twasteammo

As for torturing the horse per above.... same to them. Psychopaths ...

Last edited by las; 01/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
They're a lot easier to hit than groundhogs or prairie dogs, and the buzzards get better fed cleaning up after the hunters. Ship 'em to France- - - - -I hear the Frogs like horse meat!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
They're a lot easier to hit than groundhogs or prairie dogs, and the buzzards get better fed cleaning up after the hunters. Ship 'em to France- - - - -I hear the Frogs like horse meat!
Dogs are a lot healthier on a meat diet than the cornmeal diet they get in most dogfood. No wonder so many dogs are diabetic.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That should have been their reward for killing the horses.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seems like good target medium for testing elk bullets.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Maybe bring in some wolves? Let the two sacred species work things out.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I did some antelope hunting in Jake's Valley last fall. The number of wild horses I saw there and south of Eureka was pretty amazing.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 01/26/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Feral...not wild.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thinning the herd is probably a good thing and they should not be protected. However shooting and wounding any animal, just for fun, is not the sign of a decent human being. Some people are just scum and these guys seem to fit the category pretty well.
I am, frankly, surprised that horses do as well as they do in such a demanding environment. Horses we've had seemed to wake up in the morning and start planning on how they were going to get sick or injured before the day was done. Seen up close, those I've seen in southern Nevada didn't look real well-fed. GD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No shortage of them in the Owyhees desert of sw Idaho. I could hike for miles and not see a single deer or antelope.
Feral horses, sage sparrows, once in a while a jack-rabbit and coyote.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Navajo Nation was going to open a season on wild horses a few years ago.
Tree huggers got it stopped.
I kept going through my safes, asking myself, what cartridge for horse ??
It would have only cost me $5.00.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Actually, I had horse in Europe back in the 80's. It was delicious. Mint jelly was a fine compliment to it. Brisket, if I remember.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/26/23.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Locally here.....

Even after the BLM rounded up a bunch & moved them to adaption corrals

They are still around...just not as many....maybe see 15-20....not 40-45 head

Predators ? Year or so ago...a winter day trip I spotted the snow very disturbed in a dry wash

Got off SxS to take a look...group of horses ran down into wash from a high sandy bank

Hmmm......mountain lion tracks in the fresh snow trying to jump one

Ya'd think a Desert Sheep lamb would be an easier meal

pic 2 a favored meadow for the horses

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's more reward than is usually offered for murderers!
Sad that animals are valued more than humans!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They'll never catch me. cool

Tarquin
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder how many of those “wild” horses are wearing shoes?
Some places in the west outstaters are moving in on their 5 acre “ranches” and think they ought to own a horse or two. Once the new wears off, the kids lose interest, and the bills pile in those horses get a one way evening ride in a trailer to where they are let out.

There is a lot of that going on, dam things blend in and add to the destruction.

There are other Indian reservations in the west I know of that are also overrun by horses feral and otherwise.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,280
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.