Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RUM7
I have a crew of Mexicans that could break an anvil.
They had a nice honda generator and they had it blown up in 1 year. So, I said F that. Went and got them a loud, cheap predator from harbor freight. Said "use this piece of junk if you can't take care of our equipment " kinda was shaming them. I figure if it made it 6 months, I was money ahead. That was 6 years ago. It looks like they drug it down the road behind the truck, they have a few connections bubble gummed together, but dog gone it, it still runs.
You got a crew of Mexicans, most likely what their used to

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have Predator 8750. Have used it for probably 8 years. Most of the time it had been used in the summer after thunderstorm power outages. It had the capacity to run everything I needed like the 220V well pump, 120v Septic Pump, refrigerators, freezers and such. For some reason, the garage door openers and micro wave would not run off it. I didn't care because I never considered these items to be necessities.

A few weeks ago the power went out for 4 or 5 hours So I fired it up. Found The furnace would not run off it either. The furnace was new when we built a new house about 6 years ago. I didn't realize the furnace wasn't running until the house began to feel cold. About that time the power came back on.

I started to research for reasons the furnace wouldn't run on the generator. Did some checking with a Fluke Muti meter and found the generator was only putting out 50hz instead of 60hz. This probably explains why the garage door openers and the furnace would not run. I was able to make an adjustment to increase the running rpm enough to increase it up to 60hz. When we get a break in the the weather, I will hook the generator backup and see if this will correct the furnace issue. This I consider to be a necessity.

If it isn't a frequency problem, it may be the voltage is too dirty for the newer electronics in the furnace. I might be able to install a filter capacitor in the furnace to clean it up. If this doesn't work, I may be looking a different generator.

Other that this It's been a good generator.

3825 24336
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Slumlord said they’ll grow the hell outta wacky weeds

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the small 2k watt generator or whatever it is. Does what it’s supposed to do. There are a ton of Harbor freight generators on the Texas coast used for Tropical storms and Hurricanes. The gulf coast is the generator capital of the world LOL. No telling how many thousand predator generators there are between Beaumont and Brownsville.

Thanks, Billy
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pulled mine out last year after being in storage for seven years ....filled it up with gas flipped the button to start ...it started on the first pull...I about [bleep] my pants.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
I hear good things about the latest inverter models

I have this one, and it's OK. The battery included is a joke. Get a good quality motorcycle starting battery, and it's a great rig.

https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...tor-with-co-secure-technology-57480.html

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That 4550 is a good one.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have two of the 3500’s. Have about 200 hours on each.
I parallel them when camping. 40’ fifthwheel has a 50amp service. Mum can run everything in the camper when she wants. Very quiet also.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Purchased the 3500 inverter a year or so back. Its like insurance, we haven't had a storm since so its only run every 3 months or so.

Like others said the batteries that come in them suck but that one is easy to pull start.

I have a inverter Yamaha that works fine and got me through a couple hurricane outages, just figured a backup/extra capacity wouldn't hurt anything. We have added a couple of freezers since as well.

The quiet ones are great. Stand beside both running and still have a conversation.

This has reminded me to exorcise them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve got the 9000 watt regular generator to run the entire house during power outages. Always starts, no complaints at all. With this 20%off sale on, I think I’ll pick up a 2000 watt inverter generator, for camping and hopefully we will be building a little camp in the next year on the hunting camp property. That little guy would be much more convenient to use on the construction of the camp.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My buddy has a 2000w inverter. He has had it for probably 6-7 years now, I forget, but a while. Has used it a lot and it still runs great. I’ve got a Honda 2000 and 1000 inverter and they are great. The Predator is a little louder, but for the money is 100% the better buy in my opinion.

Biggest things for the engines is to change the oil. Everyone has their way, but here is what I do on my small engines(Honda, Predator, Briggs… doesn’t matter the brand I do it on them all). Conventional 10w-30 for an hour, change it. Conventional for 4 hours, change it. Conventional for 5 hours, change it. Now at 10hrs and I swap to a quality synthetic, and change it every 20hrs of run time. Buy a cheap hour meter and install it so you can keep track. If you are running it for an extended power outage like after a hurricane that can add up, and last time I had to do that I extended it to every 50hrs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 3500 watt I plan on mounting on the back of my 5th wheel hauling, semi tractor.
We plan on using the truck as a camper, pulling the boat at times.
It will be nice to have quiet electricity when no Hookups are available, and have heat, a/c, microwave, TV, etc.
A remote start can be added, but unlike a Honda EU300, it doesn't have a fuel shut off.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wouldn't be afraid of the Predator.......but

Take a look at Wen products too

Currently have one of their 3800 & 2000 watt gen/inverters

Very quiet & first pull start...3800 has electric start

You can buy direct from Wen's website......free ship/no tax

https://wenproducts.com/collections...or-with-fuel-shut-off-and-electric-start

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts

I was just about to post the code... 75667819

Ordered a 3500 and shipping was $22

Had Laura order a 2000 and shipping was $7

One coupon per account per day kinda thing.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Like the looks of the 455i model. Same engine as the Predator 4550 I was looking at, but with electric start, it's quieter, has handle and wheels, and 2 yr warranty. May be a better deal than the Predator. Are these WEN generators pretty reliable?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

THANKS!

Gonna try this one as well...

https://wenproducts.com/collections...le-inverter-generator-with-fuel-shut-off

It will be an interesting head to head test...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 4450w inverter for $699 with 20% off coupon seems like a decent deal.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Like the looks of the 455i model. Same engine as the Predator 4550 I was looking at, but with electric start, it's quieter, has handle and wheels, and 2 yr warranty. May be a better deal than the Predator. Are these WEN generators pretty reliable?

My two are about 1 year old...they seem like well built machines

Again...buy direct from Wen.......no tax/free ship !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Wanting one primarily for RV use, maybe some light duty home backup, only used occasionally I'd guess. Anyone used the Predator? Thinking the 4550 would do what I want to do.

Somewhere out there is a 3500 watt Chinese generator thread for RV 's. It's 15 years old, might still be alive, sold me on my Champion.

Honda is the best, but you pay for it.

Having a Champion, I would strongly advise a quiet inverter model. Everybody will thank you.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.