Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My brother and I won two rifles in HS selling magazine subscriptions for our FFA chapter. Pretty nice prizes for a school fund raising event!

No guns/ammo on school property now, but it is at least nice to see the high school trap leagues growing in participation.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/27/23.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just had a kid get in trouble at our high school. Duck season and a family member used the car to hunt, left shotgun in vehicle. Kid went to school the next, some Karen seen it and next thing you know sheriff's and troopers are rolling up. The joys of city folks moving to the country.

As for airlines, before 9/11. I had to go to our shop in fairbanks airport quite a bit. You walk in their break room and it was an armory. Multiple safes and numerous reloading stations...and a coffee pot. This was in the secured area. Obviously, that changed real fast

Last edited by Joel/AK; 01/27/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I hadda 12 gauge Mossberg 500 that the pump armature had broke. I think it was a fairly common problem on the early 500s.
I took it into the Ag Shop, and Mr Gayman helped me braze it.
Never had a problem again.
I can’t recall how many times me or my buddies took guns in there.
But we brought them in, and Mr Gayman showed us how to fix them.
He was a pretty crafty guy, and I learned a lot from him.
Mr Seminac was the Metal Shop teacher, also the Gunsmith at Old Bedford Village.
That guy knew how to make smokepoles.
A bit of a loose cannon, as a teacher though. I don’t know that he was too tightly wrapped! He threw a hammer past a girl that broke a window! I don’t know what she did to whiz him off, but we were always on good behavior in Metal Shop!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
In the 7th and 8th grade my buddy and I ran a trap line down by the duck pond and up thru his dad's pasture and back thru the shelter belts coming to the school house. Always carried a Remington 514. Mrs. Horn wouldn't let us take it out unless we were leaving the school grounds to walk the trap line. Skinned what we caught in the school basement. Mrs. Horn wasn't too happy about the bloody carcasses so we had to take them out and dump them on the other side of the tree line. Cottontails went home for fricassee or hasenpfeffer!

Several years ago the MORONS in charge of the public schools here booted a kid out of school just before he graduated because he had the head of a hatchet in the back of his pickup. The kid was an honor roll student - one of the top in his class - class president and an Eagle Scout. He had the hatchet head because he'd been on a campout with some Cub Scouts and had broken the handle off the hatchet. He was going to make a new handle in shop class but he never took the head into the school building. The IDIOTS on the school board probably cost the kid some scholarship money because he was expelled.

Boy, that seems to awfully heavy handed. Zero tolerance has gotten out of control. They should at least look at each case individually.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We had our shotguns in our trucks from the morning duck hunts... in 2003!!! The worldwide stupidity is accelerating quickly.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We rabbit hunted on school property no more that 30 yards from the school. First time I ever seen a Colt Python was in high school, a guy brought it in to school on Friday to go shooting with friends on the weekend. School bus driver offered to buy it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Fish & Game Club in our town used to stock ring necks up on the hill in back of the high school. After school one day, the plan was to head out and up the hill to hunt a few. My buddy had a Buick Wildcat with our hunting gear. We suited up, jumped in and headed up the hill. One of the clowns in the group rode up on the hood of the car. Half way up the hill, a crow flies out of the top of a tree and he fires a couple shots, both clean misses. We arrive at the top of the hill......

and the girls have a soccer game in progress. NOT GOOD!

If that would have happened today, instead of 1972, we'd have been jailed.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
In the 7th and 8th grade my buddy and I ran a trap line down by the duck pond and up thru his dad's pasture and back thru the shelter belts coming to the school house. Always carried a Remington 514. Mrs. Horn wouldn't let us take it out unless we were leaving the school grounds to walk the trap line. Skinned what we caught in the school basement. Mrs. Horn wasn't too happy about the bloody carcasses so we had to take them out and dump them on the other side of the tree line. Cottontails went home for fricassee or hasenpfeffer!

Several years ago the MORONS in charge of the public schools here booted a kid out of school just before he graduated because he had the head of a hatchet in the back of his pickup. The kid was an honor roll student - one of the top in his class - class president and an Eagle Scout. He had the hatchet head because he'd been on a campout with some Cub Scouts and had broken the handle off the hatchet. He was going to make a new handle in shop class but he never took the head into the school building. The IDIOTS on the school board probably cost the kid some scholarship money because he was expelled.

Boy, that seems to awfully heavy handed. Zero tolerance has gotten out of control. They should at least look at each case individually.

No shít you guys should have turned some tables over at the school board meeting.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
in the early sixties in high school in Jax, I always had a shot gun or a .22 rifle in my car. After school, several of us along with a teacher every so often, would hunt raccoons, hogs or squirrels in the woods next to the school. The administration did not encourage bringing guns to school, but no one really said anything about it.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It was more than that. We had a armory and shooting range behind our high school. I had a lifted Chevy 1/2 ton stepwise 4x4 rifle and shotgun in the window rack

IC B3

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Class of 1980. In my junior year we had to make up a play in order to pass English. We were broken up in groups of 4. Me and 3 other guys came up with a skit about duck hunting. The play took place in our library which was on the second floor of our high school. We carried a pirouge , dozen decoys , some brush and 4 12ga. pump shotguns upstairs to the library. Only thing the teacher said was .... make sure the guns aren’t loaded.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup in the mid 70's we all had firearms in our vehicles during hunting season.

I can even remember in Boy Scouts one of the parents bringing in a bunch of long guns for a meeting one night. It was in a church and nobody thought twice about it.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes, senior year 1975, we duck hunted before school and would clean our shotguns in home room then put them in our locker for the day with our wet cloths hanging on the door to dry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Class of 83.

Some of us would duck hunt before our first period class. Shotguns in our trucks was common and the teachers who hunted knew about it. Not an issue in Vancouver, WA.

I remember hearing about a fight at Jefferson H.S....that’s in the ‘hood’ over in Portland. One kid pulled out a knife.

All of us were like ‘wtf’ is happening in Portland? They’re using knives in a school fight.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My high school in suburban Sydney had a miniature rifle range down the back, in a bit of a gully behind the football oval and below the tennis courts. We also had a cadet corps, and an armoury with SMLEs, .22s and a couple of Brens. On cadet camps we'd have range shoots with SLRs (Rifle L1A1) - I had a crossed rifles badge for marksmanship on my cadet uniform.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, full gun racks in pickups were pretty common in PA. First day of deer and trout was an excused absence. A fist fight was the worst you'd see to settle things. A teenager could walk the road down to the next farm with a shotgun and not be stopped. Good ol days

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, guns in the trunk for an hour or two in the game lands on the way home !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It wasn't that long ago in some places.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Class of 66 We brought or guns into school and put them in our lockers, no cases. Deer season we got the first week off with just a note from our parents.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by boatammo
Class of 66 We brought or guns into school and put them in our lockers, no cases. Deer season we got the first week off with just a note from our parents.

Were you homeschooled or something?

Dad is class of 63 and they kept their firearms in their cars.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (117LBS, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,787
Posts18,536,312
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.