Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Hi My Friends.

It looks like I'm going to need cataract and lens surgery SOON.

I'd truly appreciate your advice.

Thanks very much.

Blessings, Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Hi My Friends.

Thanks very much.

Blessings, Steve

Having both eyes done in mid February.

I’ve heard nothing but good about the 15 minute procedure. The now available lenses can also correct astigmatism.

There is a recent thread here about cataract surgery and the availability of different lenses for different desired results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Hi My Friends.

Thanks very much.

Blessings, Steve

Having both eyes done in mid February.

I’ve heard nothing but good about the 15 minute procedure. The now available lenses can also correct astigmatism.

There is a recent thread here about cataract surgery and the availability of different lenses for different desired results.
Correction for astigmatism would be a game changer for me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Ask about Reflective Lens Exchange

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just had cataract surgery done, right eye on 1/12/23 and the left on 1/24/23. Very pleased. Use the drops and follow their instructions.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Friend Steve, Belinda had both of her eyes done a year and a half ago. She had the choice of three different grades of lens. I encouraged her to get the best and she is very happy with the results. She only needs readers for very small print.
I hope all goes well.
Blessings, Dave

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had both eyes done about this time two years ago. Comparatively easy surgery with positive results. Don't need gasses for anything more than two or three feet away. As I recall my prescription for reading glasses changed a little and I had to refocus my rifle scopes. I still need glasses for reading but that's about it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rooms,

I had both done about 1-1/2 years ago, with some correction for astigmatism, but mostly for severe near-sightedness. A month later my vision tested 20/15, and has been holding that way since. (Just had it tested again last month.)

As somebody else already noted, take the drops as directed!

Best,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked a similar question here a short time back. Some of the responses may be of interest to you -- Cataract Surgery.

FWIW I have decided to get the single distance lens instead of the multifocal due to the potential for night vision problems

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had both of my eyes done earlier this month. Went with two distant lenses. I have to use reader glasses for close up work. Take the drops as directed, should not have any issues.

Good Luck,
Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any advice Steve, but you certainly have my prayers for a safe and effective treatment. Hugs to Miss Karen.

Sam......

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
DZ, I had both replaced about six months ago and went for distance vision because I was still going to need some correction for astigmatism and reading. I’ve worn glasses for many years so that didn’t bother me because with glasses I’ve avoided the proverbial stick in the eye many times in the woods in the dark. Plus that means I always have some eye protection when shooting since I always get the impact resistant lenses.

I ended up being 20/20 for distance with no glasses and better than 20/20 with a little astigmatism correction. I’m also able to read well lit print of reasonable font without correction too but it’s more comfortable with 1.25 diopter bifocal part.

Others have mentioned the drops before and after the surgery and I’ll echo that. Do them religiously and the outcome is a lot more predictable. A friend of my wife wasn’t very conscientious about using them and she had problems with infection in both eyes. Not good Maverick!

You’ll probably see a big difference. I noticed it after the first was done and with the “old” eyeball, everything was a little yellowish as if lit with a 100 watt incandescent bulb but with the “new” eye it was brighter and whiter, as if it was lit with a 125 watt fluorescent bulb.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/30/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had right eye done a year ago, left still has 20 vision. I paid extra to get the multifocal lense. I need no glasses to read even though I only had surgery on the one eye. If you live in the Houston area, go see Dr. Jeff Whitsett. I would highly recommend him. The surgery is amazing, blue sky I’d brighter, trees are greener. I can’t imagine how bright things would be if both are done.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't have any advice about it. My mom had it done several years ago. She was very nervous about it of course. Afterwards she said that there was nothing to it,..that all of her anxiety was for nothing.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I had my lenses replacd more than 15 years ago. No complaints. About a 15 minute operation, after paperwork and prep, per eye, one month apart.

I chose long range vision over short, or one of each. I require readers for reading , computer work- anything within arms reach.

They have likely made improvements since then, from the sounds of above posts.

I did have to go back in a year later to have them shoot lazer holes through accumulating dead blood cells, or something at the back of the eye.

No cause for anxiety. Follow directions!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hi My Friends.

Thanks very much.

Blessings, Steve

Steve, I have no advice, but will certainly offer up prayers for a successful, uneventful surgery and complete restoration of youthful vision!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Rooms, I had both done about 1-1/2 years ago, with some correction for astigmatism, but mostly for severe near-sightedness. A month later my vision tested 20/15, and has been holding that way since. (Just had it tested again last month.) As somebody else already noted, take the drops as directed!
Best, John

John, not to hijack Steve's post, but did you notice any changes with pistol shooting or using iron sights on rifles after the surgery?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had both eyes done in 2020. I went with distance and have 20/20 but use readers for reading and computer work. I did have another procedure done this morning on my right eye. According to my optometrist quite often some tissue will form on the replacement lens creating some dimming or blurring. Long story short a 3 minute painless laser treatment removed the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will wonder why you waited so long to have it done. I had mine done in 2009. Told doc I was a shooter. Day after surgery 20/15 in my right eye. Two weeks later 20/20 in my left. Last eye exam last year not quite as good. He said everything was still good just getting old and wearing out. I opted for the distance vision ( cheapest). Need readers for close up.
Wife had it done just before the first of the year. Multi- focal lens. She is real pleased with hers. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi My Friends.

Thanks very much.

Blessings, Steve

I went for distance and astigmatism fix.

Not hard to find readers, don't need them unless doing fine work or reading small print.

My only advice would be to find the best surgeon in your area.

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.