Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ERK
WHY is the real question. Edk

How many can you do ??????

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be curious how many the rock climbers can do, they seem to have incredible hand and arm strength.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm doing pull-ups every other day right now as part of my regular training. Pull-up/chin bars and squat racks are the least used items in most commercial gyms. That's because they are the most difficult and, surprise!, most effective things a body can do. Chins, press, squat, bench, deads cover it.

Fortunately, I have a home gym with all the Rogue equipment I need. This is one of the greatest luxuries in my life.

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 02/03/23.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Even when I was really fit and playing sports all the time I struggled with pull-ups. Just don't have the upper body strength, I was a skinny kid.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The problem I had with them is that every time I worked up to where I could do a few and start getting on a roll (I mostly maxed out around 8 or 10) my elbows would get wrecked with tendonitis. I saw that movie about three times which forced me to quit.

Waiting until your mid thirties to decide to get in shape was a bad thing I guess.

But yeah, they are crazy effective. You go to the typical gym you will see a bunch of fatasses that can bench or squat a ton but they damn sure won't be knocking out many pullups...probably none and don't even try.

Last edited by RJY66; 02/03/23.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 160user
I used to be able to knock out 10-15 with no problem but after a botched shoulder surgery I doubt I could do even one anymore.
Yep, they used to be a regular part of my routine, along with pushups, but the shoulder doesn't permit them anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was disappointed neither my wife nor my son could calculate the safety margin in chin up bar mounted to the wall.

That is just college freshman statics.

Remember compression and tension force vectors in a truss bridge?

Calculate the cross sectional area of a steel wood screw into the wall?

Then calculate the stress in that steel?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
The problem I had with them is that every time I worked up to where I could do a few and start getting on a roll (I mostly maxed out around 8 or 10) my elbows would get wrecked with tendonitis. I saw that movie about three times which forced me to quit.

I ran into that in my 30's with weighted chin ups, which made you even better at regular chins, but they were sure tough on the elbows if you went heavy for lower reps. Tendonitis sucks and wants to linger. Several other guys in the gym had the same problem with weighted chins and said "never again".

I learned something new last year, as I didn't know you could develop tennis elbow from overworking an arm with chainsaw and brushcutter work. I worked several days in a row last fall on clearing some property and would often go until my arms could barely hold the saw (dangerous, I know). About 10 days later, my right forearm/elbow went nuts. Could barely hold a cup of coffee to my mouth. I'm just now at maybe 75% grip strength in that arm. It's apparently very common with the chainsaw carving guys too. You are supposed to take lots of breaks and flex/move your hands/forearms to prevent it.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66
The problem I had with them is that every time I worked up to where I could do a few and start getting on a roll (I mostly maxed out around 8 or 10) my elbows would get wrecked with tendonitis.

I have a bar in my garage and do a couple sets most evenings before bed. Whenever I tried to work up to double digits my elbows would burn like crazy so I just dialed it back a hair and the problem went away.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
In high school, 30 wasn’t cshit, at 70, was getting 6 before I had surgery, gonna get back on it, in another 3 weeks.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot shoulder but can do 4 of either still at 69. If doc saw me he'd just shake his head like the wife just did. Can't just dead hang there , no long bicep destroyed rotator and labrum. Next shoulder surgery will be a replacement so its all about protecting that bad boy.

Should remove the bar from the doorway but the wife uses it when doing laundry.

Last edited by sidepass; 02/03/23.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Went to high school with a guy who could do one armed pull ups. He wasn’t overly muscular just really fit.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I problably can’t do one. I also don’t care. When young I was stout and of course abused myself. The local bike shop when I was younger did have a little contest just for giggles. They took a complete big block Chrysler engine with torque converter and all. Threw a chin on it and everybody tried to lift and were timed how long you could hold it. I held it the longest at 32 seconds. May not sound tough but a log chain isn’t exactly easy on the hands. It weighed 525 pounds. Edk

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Speaking of tendonitis I had a bout with it in my left arm. I had heard others talk of what a pain it was but didn't pay much attention until I got it. When it first started I mentioned it and a friend warned me to chill out on the heavy 70lb. dumbell curls. I didn't listen, I couldn't even sleep at night It was so bad.
Went to the doctor and I'm not a go to the doctor kind of guy. Their drugs didn't help whatsoever, just the usual take this and come back and see me in 2 weeks- bring me another $100 bill.

Another friend told me to go to the Golden Almond, some offbeat herbs and concoctions place etc. and ask the lady what you need.
She gave me some Pineapple Extract powder, I mentally laughed and left there with it. 2 days later there was no pain whatsoever, laf.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Speaking of tendonitis I had a bout with it in my left arm. I had heard others talk of what a pain it was but didn't pay much attention until I got it. When it first started I mentioned it and a friend warned me to chill out on the heavy 70lb. dumbell curls. I didn't listen, I couldn't even sleep at night It was so bad.
Went to the doctor and I'm not a go to the doctor kind of guy. Their drugs didn't help whatsoever, just the usual take this and come back and see me in 2 weeks- bring me another $100 bill.

Another friend told me to go to the Golden Almond, some offbeat herbs and concoctions place etc. and ask the lady what you need.
She gave me some Pineapple Extract powder, I mentally laughed and left there with it. 2 days later there was no pain whatsoever, laf.
Mike, are you really serious about the pineapple extract powder? It really did help? Do you have to take it daily? How long have you been a pineapple extract powder junkie?
I ask because I have right elbow issues.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 673
I would be curious how many the rock climbers can do, they seem to have incredible hand and arm strength.
My daughter and sil are rock climbers. They can both do quite a few one handed pull ups

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
In 1973 we had to go through a physical agility test as part of the application process for the PD. Four of us were taking the test which consisted of various running, jumping and strength events and was being administered by the Training Lt. When it came to the pull up bar we were told to do 5. Three of us did 5 but the fourth guy did 3 and only made it part way up for the 4th. We went on to something else but came back to the pull up bar where the guy did 2 and part way up for the 3rd. The Lt. gave him 3 1/2 for his first attempt, 2 1/2 for his second attempt and added them together to give him 6!

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MPat70

Mike, are you really serious about the pineapple extract powder? It really did help? Do you have to take it daily? How long have you been a pineapple extract powder junkie?

My wife, a nurse in her younger days, helped a friend recover from an upper/lower face lift. The plastic surgeon (brilliant) who did the work gave her a page of information about eating fresh pineapple to minimize bruising and swelling and to speed healing. He also verbally recommended the same repeatedly. My wife has helped several other women recover from cosmetic surgery and she thinks it was an important aid in the recovery process. She whips up a fresh juice drink most afternoons and has been putting fresh pineapple in it ever since.

RS

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MPat70

Yes, serious, Golden Almond on Racetrack Road Fort Walton Beach, FL.. 850-863-5811
I took it maybe a week and didn't do curls for a month < her advice. This was ?8? years ago, but they've been in business for many years.
Mentioned it to a friend while just talking and he said he went there and got something ?? for his skin and it worked great. He knew of several people who went there for all kinds of remedies.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At 240 pounds I do sets of 7 these days, though trying to work up to 10. When I drop down to 230 it is amazing how much easier it is to get 10. An exercise I like a lot and can knock out in my basement a few times a week.

In my 30s I got up to sets of 20 for a while. Much older now. Using a straight bar at this time and wish I had one with either palms facing or curved down on the ends.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.