Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm about to buy an old 98 Mauser to rebarrel to 257 Roberts. I have a Roberts barrel (Ruger 77 takeoff) that has been waiting in the corner of my gun closet for a long time for exactly this opportunity.

The rifle has a very plain Bishop wood stock with a mild monte carlo. The action will get a new Timney trigger/safety installed plus a bedding job. And all of the metal will likely get a coat of Brownell's Alumahyde in matte black.

Here's my starting point:

[Linked Image]

I'd like to dress the stock up a bit, but I'm trying to keep this a budget build. Getting checkering done is expensive, and I don't have enough talent with hand tools to do it myself. I like wood stocks, but don't like smooth wood stocks - I need something grippy.

What are the alternatives to checkering for a wood stock?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't I hear about someone putting bed liner on a stock to give it more grip ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Stick posted a good idea a few weeks ago. Mask off around where you would like to have checkering and spray with truck bedliner or similar rough finish product

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stabbing it with an ice pick.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
https://www.ccwclasses.net/what-is-stippling-on-a-gun/#:~:text=Stippling%20is%20a%20gun%20modification%20that%20can%20be,versus%20something%20that%20has%20the%20texture%20of%20sandpaper.

This may be what the previous poster was suggesting by 'stab it with an icepick' (many times).

I inherited a couple rifles with stocks my dad had stippled himself. They look OK to me. It doesn't look like all that difficult, but he also was an amateur stockmaker and did a little checkering so I may be underestimating the required skill. I believe Gamo used to offer airgun stocks done that way.

Last edited by RalphBeagle; 02/03/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by czech1022
wood stocks - I need something grippy.

Stippling - a lot of the wood stocked Anschutz target rifles used it a few of decades back. I can't remember the exact details of how I did one but basically it involved using a hand-held electric jigsaw with a piece of blade trimmed back to what I thought was the proper indentation depth and went at it, actually it ended up looking as nice as the factory work.

If you can find a picture of an Anschutz metallic silhouette rifle that is the type of "checkering" they used on them, it is very grippy and while it does not even begin to compare with hand checkering it works very well.

Here is a link to a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like - https://www.gungle.uk/gun-parts/stocks/anschutz-match-54-stock_i148

drover

p.s. - be sure to practice on a piece of junk wood before trying it on your stock

Last edited by drover; 02/03/23.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Might try stippling it if your a patient person.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I read several decades ago that Finn Aagard had a rifle he thought was too slippery. He masked off the grip areas and painted them with shellac or varnish that had sand mixed in it. That man was about as practical as they came. Sure do miss his writings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Author/Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker knows more than a little about such things. He posts on this forum a bit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 1917 with the same Bishop stock that was my grandfathers. He used a wood burning pencil to checker it. It has the outlines and then inside the lines different family initials, brands, Christian symbols, and other designs. It is the coolest rifle I own. He spent a ton of time doing it but it turned out great.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had an old Bishop Second stock put on a 1917 Enfield. I put several coats of Tung Oil on it, and it was pretty grippy. I wet sanded every coat (put 7 coats on it) but the last coat. Try it out Pard!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a rifle a few years ago and its black plastic stock was really slick.

I ended up just buying a couple colors of "stone textured" Krylon spray paint. Each color actually has 3-4 colors in it (one tends greenish and one tends tannish). I put both on the stock in a random pattern, and after it set lightly sanded the area where my cheek touches the stock, and the rest came out perfect. Great grip, great look. $15 materials and an hour painting on a warm day.

I just have to make sure I don't lose it if I set it down in the fall brush!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Playing devil's advocate here. First, define checkering lobs as being "too expensive." I just did a google search and was surprised at how cheap it is to have a simple checkering job done. $200 will cover a basic one at more than a couple places. For example, Sherry Abraham (highly recommended by some folks here on the 'Fire) shows $130 for a simple pattern on a PG buttstock. The forearm can be treated with an elongated diamond on the bottom surface only (kind of a Euro-style), which I've found provides plenty of utility, and which would add only a minimum additional fee.

I'll admit, a couple hundred bucks ain't chicken feed, but in the whole scheme of things in our inflationary world it really isn't much. I'm an amateur who does fairly decent work but who doesn't do enough to have gotten fast, and it would take me around 20 hours to execute a simple four panel job which makes that $200 mighty enticing to me. Your choice, cheap out at the tail end of a nice job of work and end up with a Bubba-looking project, or spend a little bit for some classiness.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by czech1022
I'm about to buy an old 98 Mauser to rebarrel to 257 Roberts. I have a Roberts barrel (Ruger 77 takeoff) that has been waiting in the corner of my gun closet for a long time for exactly this opportunity.

The rifle has a very plain Bishop wood stock with a mild monte carlo. The action will get a new Timney trigger/safety installed plus a bedding job. And all of the metal will likely get a coat of Brownell's Alumahyde in matte black.

Here's my starting point:

[Linked Image]

I'd like to dress the stock up a bit, but I'm trying to keep this a budget build. Getting checkering done is expensive, and I don't have enough talent with hand tools to do it myself. I like wood stocks, but don't like smooth wood stocks - I need something grippy.

Just send me the stock, and you problem will be over. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.