Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've seen some, probably in the mid 50s and 60s. Even a couple pickups.

They were noticeable - but didn't seem to last long after their 'operation'.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't think I'd cut the top off a good car.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Seriously, I'm sure that weakens. the car, factory convertibles have a stronger frame..
No chit

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
2 bros. who were heavy drinkers bought a new car and started the party. Before the night was over they had rolled it 2 or 3 times.

When the top was mashed down so it was not drivable they cut it off. Never fixed it up as far as I know as I moved out of that area.

Used it as a farm only driver. Easy for the dogs to get in and out.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Had a good friend in HS, 1970-72. His dad was a body man. Took an old Econoline van, pulled off the body. Created and fabbed up a CONESTOGA type wagon for a body. Bench front seat sittin way up firm and high w a smallblock v8 for power. All tricked out w lights and sound. Lap belts only back in those days…like that would have saved us. At least we didn’t shoot off of the seat from near six feet in the air. We’d drive it around on weekends. Been stopped more times than a taxicab. Shoulda seen some of the looks we got and heads we turned.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by blanket
Seriously, I'm sure that weakens. the car, factory convertibles have a stronger frame..
No chit
Cut the roof off of a 63 Chevy truck and you had to push hard on the dash to shift the three on the tree

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked for a man that became my mentor in life.... retired contractor. Before my time, he built a homemade convertible that I was able to drive and ride in!

He had a 1958 Chrysler Imperial 4 door and another of the same year that was a 2-door convertible. Same body length, same dimensions overall, just fewer/more doors!
He took the convertible top and parts and made that 4-door a parade car! Full convertible. We used to drove it into town in our big cowboy hats and wave at everyone like they should know who we were! hahahahaha.... Good times. He passed in 2010 while i was away overseas in Africa. I sure do miss him.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It wasn't homemade by any means but in high school, a friend's dad restored a 40 something Pontiac convertible, complete with leather seats and lots of nice trim. If he'd known how his kid drove it rabbit hunting, he'd have killed the kid.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When I was a beach lifeguard for the county during high school I became friends with guy that had made his hardtop into a convertible. I don’t recall the model exactly but it was a classic 2 door sedan that made an awesome looking convertible. It was a 1960’s Ford Falcon iirc. My buddy looked like a 1960’s version of the surfing beach boy. His convertible with a couple surfboards sticking up out of the backseat and we’d have girls giddy with excitement hoping for a chance to go on a surfin’ safari.

I also had a buddy turn his pickup truck into a convertible….that was kinda cool too.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sure. it came that way from Chevrolet tho.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
Used to be common in the 50's. Cut roof off, shorten car, cut fenders, put on wide tires, then run around on the desert.
Didn't find good photos. Thee are more stripped of body parts than most I saw
https://tessa2.lapl.org/digital/collection/photos/search/searchterm/desert%20buggies
Bruce
Yes ! Made one at our place down near Yuma in 1962/3 - old flat head 6 cyl. Chrysler, cut and re-welded frame/drive train as short as possible. No doors or sides except one strut up and over the top, no hood/fenders/bumpers. Front bench seat and a flat surface behind that over the rear axle. We called them "sand buggies". A lot of fun.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When we were kids, my older Brother had a '29 model A two door sedan that had the top chopped off.

Used to ride around out in the field in it. FUN times!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not so safe in a rollover.

Even if wearing a PFD?

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Teenage buddy did it to one of those long late 60s, early 70s Cadillacs. White, red leather interior. This was mid '90s. Money was no object for this family, his father bought it for him because heck, something cool about your son wanting something old school. Anyway, came home one day and my buddy had cut the top off the dang thing.

He died a year later in a souped up Honda. Going back to that pic of the father holder daughters hand in another thread, I saw his dad do the same thing until they told him they had to close the casket. Unless he's done something with it, he still has the car his son died in in storage, wouldnt get rid of it.

Last edited by killerv; 02/09/23.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cut half the roof off of my Honda Civic after it was hit in the rear by a 20' produce truck. Made it into a mini pickup, with the help of a sawzall and 3/4 " plywood.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mechanic and body man in town took 2 fifty 8 chevys and cut them in half just behind the door and welded the two front ends back together to make what he called his forward only ride

Last edited by 1beaver_shooter; 02/09/23.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,737
Posts18,495,026
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.