Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
EJR Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a chrono. What are you guys having luck with ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a Pro Chrono DLX that is Bluetoothed to my phone. Keeps a file on the phone of shots and velocities. I can’t force myself to spend the money on a LabRadar.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
In my experience (n=1, each), Shooting Chrony greatly disappointed, but Prochrono Digital (p/n CEI-3800) has exceeded my expectations.

You can spend more, & it might be worth it for what you do.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You using at a busy public range or out on your lonesome?

How much $$ do you NOT want to spend? $200? $400? $700?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Pro Chrono. It was reasonably priced and seems to work well. What I learned from it is that I have a very limited use for a chronograph, so it rarely gets used. I’m pretty lazy, so I generally just go shoot and don’s exert the extra effort to set up the chrono.

If I can hit what I’m aiming at and can reliably and cleanly kill game, the speed of my bullet isn’t real important to me.

IC B2

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Labradar and don't look back. Probably more than you want to spend but I don't think you will regret the purchase.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've used Pact chronographs and had excellent luck with them. Customer service was great after I put a bullet through one of the sensors, which I think is probably just a matter of time for anyone who uses one.

These days, I use a MagnetoSpeed Sporter like this https://magnetospeed.com/products/magnetospeed-sporter

It's easy to use on rifles but doesn't work on semi-auto pistols or revolvers. The Pact worked with anything.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned two. A Shooting Chrony Beta Master and a Labradar. The Labradar is great. Nothing to set-up downrange, not affected by different lighting conditions, easier setup, etc. However, it's much more expensive and not without it's own limitations. It can't read velocities exceeding 3,900 fps and has difficulty with bullets smaller than 22 caliber (even .22 LR it struggles with). So something like a .17 Fireball is a non-starter with it.

The Shooting Chrony Beta Master doesn't have the best reputation, but I liked mine and found it worked well most of the time. It doesn't have a velocity limitation, and never had an issue with .22LR, but it is affected by differing lighting conditions. That being said if I were to get an inexpensive one, the most recommended one is a ProChrono. The DLX has bluetooth, which is cool, and is $460 cheaper than the Labradar.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had a Competition electronics Pro chronograph ($125) for several years, it aint fancy but it works fine, I have no complaints and would I not spend a pile of money on a chronograph when these will do all I need..Good luck...Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, it’s either LabRadar or ProChrono, depending on budget.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OP is very vague. I bought a used chronograph for $50 about 10 years ago. It works fine for me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
LabRadar.

and that's after owning an Oehler 35P for about 20 years. The coolest aspects of the LabRadar is ease of setup, exportable spreadsheets for data, and it allows you to practice while getting MVs without screwing with your POI. Whacking steel out back while getting updated MVs:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My PACT finally took a dump. Probably replace in with the same. I like the idea of not shooing at the brains of the machine.
The screens can be replaced easily. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Magneetospeed Sporter and it works for me. Their customer service is excellent as well. Now if money is issue get a Lab Radar. My Magneetospeed was a Christmas gift three years ago, or I’d of down the research and gotten a Lab Radar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a Pro Chrono DLX that is Bluetooth, Best in its class. I do also have a labradar and a Beta chrony though.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pro Chrono DLX that is Bluetoothed but for some reason, I can not get it to connect, so I still use it the old school way

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I purchased a Pro Chrono DLX that is Bluetoothed to my phone. Keeps a file on the phone of shots and velocities. I can’t force myself to spend the money on a LabRadar.

Ron

+1. I had the Digital for about 20 years before upgrading to the DLX, no issues at all. LabRadar would be great too, but I just can't see myself dropping that money when the ProChrono's have served me so well.

Originally Posted by pullit
Pro Chrono DLX that is Bluetoothed but for some reason, I can not get it to connect, so I still use it the old school way

Mine connects right away, the only time it didn't was when I realized the bluetooth on my phone wasn't turned on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another Labradar fan here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Lived life with a Pro Chrono for 20 years. Decided I wanted to try something different - kind of a live only once thing and got a Magnetospeed. My first choice is Magnetospeed. But the Pro Chrono is not a mistake either. IMO, just get something to measure velocity if you are reloading.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Used a PACT for over 25 yrs. If conditions are right (outdoors, not too sunny, not too cloudy, not windy, not raining), I can still get useful numbers from it.

Magnetospeed works everywhere all the time, and gives remarkably consistent readings. I'd like to find an adaptor that would allow me to use it without actually strapping it to the barrel because it does tend to affect POI and group size, at least in my experience. But, price and ease of use are incomparable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.