Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sub moa for 3 shots for a hunting rifle is good enough.

LMAO.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had developed some loads with some 110gr 7mm TTSX and some 160gr 8mm TTSX. Both lots of those had some tips that were not straight, and were leaning slightly. None of them failed to expand or produce acceptable accuracy. I have since moved on to other bullets due to my personal preference to cup / core bullets. IF i were going to use monolithic bullets Id choose Hornady GMX which is now the CX line.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
That a pretty darn respectable endorsement for the LRX’s! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO.

You post nothing that adds value to a thread. I post real world results.. You can keep laughing because it shows how stupid you are..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fury01
Maybe what this proves is that the tips really don't do much for BC .... they just increase expansion. I would think it certain that a thusly poorly tipped arrow would have flight problems.
If you pull a badly centered tip out, is the hole off center too?

Interesting to speculate what really goes on during flight as well. Do the tips just melt and fill the void? One thing I do know is a lot of guys use these bullets. I recently found more 7mm 140gr TTSX for $37.50/box. I know they shoot well and they work well on elk, so I will keep buying them. Through some testing, I found the Barnes tipped bullets to shoot just as well as the Hornady ELDX bullets, and sometimes better, but the Barnes is known for retaining more weight and penetrating better. I'm interested to see how the op's range trip goes and how his bullets shoot for him.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA, you sure do have a dedicated fan club don't you?

Interesting to see the accuracy results considering "LRX" implies guys may be using these very far out there. The kind of accuracy shown says that's just fine. Wouldn't sweat it any more than that.

To me its like a nerfed up tip on a Partition. We've all seen em. it may detract some from how the round looks, if you care. Certainly won't keep it from making meat at the ranges needed.

On the plastic tip, I think I read from Mule Deer (may be wrong) that slow mo video etc shows the tip pretty much falls immediately on impact and does NOT get driven back into or play any role in the terminal performance of a bullet.

Last edited by Igloo; 11/18/22.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO.

You post nothing that adds value to a thread. I post real world results.. You can keep laughing because it shows how stupid you are..

I’ll keep laffin’, from chasing everyone around stating 3 shot groups were a waste of time and everyone needed to post 10 shot groups or “STFU” to now 3 shot groups are good. You are as fickle as a 3’rd grade girl.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was there a distinction made between proving the true accuracy of a load/rifle vs whether or not it was adequate for hunting?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by obie458
I just received a few boxes of .308 175gr LRX bullets. I've loaded the TTSX before but this is my first time using the LRX. I was surprised to see the tips on the LRX were off center. Just about every bullet in the box was that way. I haven't loaded any yet but I'd imagine the off center tio isn't going to help with accuracy. Is this a common issue with the LRX or did I get a bad lot?

I noticed the same thing on a couple boxes I bought: .308 cal 175gr LRX. I wonder if we should compare lot #'s? As far as accuracy is concerned, I have not noticed any weird affects. I load these in 2 of my 300wby's and 1 300RSAUM. Sub moa groups is the norm. Load some up and I'll bet you will get good results as well.

About 120 years ago Dr. Mann proved that the point of the bullet has very little to do with accuracy. That is very counter-intuative but true. How much it has on BC is another matter.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I just received a few boxes of .308 175gr LRX bullets. I've loaded the TTSX before but this is my first time using the LRX. I was surprised to see the tips on the LRX were off center. Just about every bullet in the box was that way. I haven't loaded any yet but I'd imagine the off center tio isn't going to help with accuracy. Is this a common issue with the LRX or did I get a bad lot?

I noticed the same thing on a couple boxes I bought: .308 cal 175gr LRX. I wonder if we should compare lot #'s? As far as accuracy is concerned, I have not noticed any weird affects. I load these in 2 of my 300wby's and 1 300RSAUM. Sub moa groups is the norm. Load some up and I'll bet you will get good results as well.

About 120 years ago Dr. Mann proved that the point of the bullet has very little to do with accuracy. That is very counter-intuative but true. How much it has on BC is another matter.

Yep! Apparently the base was much more important to accuracy than was the tip! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I finally got a chance to get to the range and shoot some test loads. Without much effort I was able to achieve 5 shot groups averaging approximately an inch at 100 yards. Next step I'll try adjusting seating depth and see if I can improve. Doesn't look like the crooked tips are having much affect on accuracy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check these out. I noticed the same thing with the ones I loaded, but they still shoot good:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Zoom in if you have to, but you can see they are off a bit. Look at the ones in the lower right. I'm wondering if the op's are worse or about the same? I've seen the same thing with TTSX's too, so I just disregarded it figuring it was the norm with these bullets.
I've noticed the same thing with the 6mm 95LRX. That's the only reason I tried Hammer Hunters. After testing on deer I'd much rather have a mushroom size exit wound channel.(Barnes) Than the 4 petals breaking off and the shank of the bullet creating a pencil size exit wound (Hammer) As crooked as some of the tips looked it's amazing how good the Barnes LRX shoot even at 400yds.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Check these out. I noticed the same thing with the ones I loaded, but they still shoot good:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Zoom in if you have to, but you can see they are off a bit. Look at the ones in the lower right. I'm wondering if the op's are worse or about the same? I've seen the same thing with TTSX's too, so I just disregarded it figuring it was the norm with these bullets.
I've noticed the same thing with the 6mm 95LRX. That's the only reason I tried Hammer Hunters. After testing on deer I'd much rather have a mushroom size exit wound channel.(Barnes) Than the 4 petals breaking off and the shank of the bullet creating a pencil size exit wound (Hammer) As crooked as some of the tips looked it's amazing how good the Barnes LRX shoot even at 400yds.

I agree. They seem to always shoot very well. Actually very consistent shooting IMHO. I don't pay too much attention to the crooked tips anymore.
I finally got a chance to get to the range and shoot some test loads. Without much effort I was able to achieve 5 shot groups averaging approximately an inch at 100 yards. Next step I'll try adjusting seating depth and see if I can improve. Doesn't look like the crooked tips are having much affect on accuracy.

That has been my experience as well. Sounds like yours are doing well. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know how they worked out.

Originally Posted by Igloo
BSA, you sure do have a dedicated fan club don't you?

Interesting to see the accuracy results considering "LRX" implies guys may be using these very far out there. The kind of accuracy shown says that's just fine. Wouldn't sweat it any more than that.

To me its like a nerfed up tip on a Partition. We've all seen em. it may detract some from how the round looks, if you care. Certainly won't keep it from making meat at the ranges needed.

On the plastic tip, I think I read from Mule Deer (may be wrong) that slow mo video etc shows the tip pretty much falls immediately on impact and does NOT get driven back into or play any role in the terminal performance of a bullet.

I sure do. SLM is jealous of me for some reason. I pay as little attention to him as I do the crooked tips on these LRX and TTSX bullets. He does not add to any of these threads, but likes to hang on my azz like a dingle berry. Poor sucker that needs to get a life...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most of my rifles have a HS detachable magazine box and you can tear the plastic tips of the Barnes bullets off fairly easily if your not careful while loading. It doesn't seem to matter on accuracy, but it might matter on expansion? Supposedly some hollow point bullets can get clogged up and don't expand constantly. I guess that could be another plus for using plastic tipped bullets instead of hollow point bullets?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yes, and well after Franklin Mann, at least a few popular gunwriters, maybe back in the 80's?...published informal tests deliberately deforming common exposed lead tip hunting bullets, far beyond the deformity of recoil in magazine boxes, and then firing control groups ...bottom line, tip deformity is not an issue...and that was with lead, considerably denser than plastic.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What I found is, don't be scared to load the LRX bullets close to the lands. The Ttsx didn't shoot well when loaded close to the lands for me. Your results may vary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 95s I recently bought look the same. Having an easier time getting accurate loads with the 88 hammers.

Last edited by AKduck; 02/12/23.

Yup.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Yes, and well after Franklin Mann, at least a few popular gunwriters, maybe back in the 80's?...published informal tests deliberately deforming common exposed lead tip hunting bullets, far beyond the deformity of recoil in magazine boxes, and then firing control groups ...bottom line, tip deformity is not an issue...and that was with lead, considerably denser than plastic.
The gun writers did a lot of neat test instead of trying to sell new calibers in the 80's. One of my favorite test was when the gun writers debunked the heavier round nose brush busting bullet myth.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The gun writers did a lot of neat test instead of trying to sell new calibers in the 80's. One of my favorite test was when the gun writers debunked the heavier round nose brush busting bullet myth.
Yeah, They actually did stuff back then. I think it was good old Ken Waters, decided to test brush busting, set up an elaborate test using uniform thickness of plywood veneer for repeatability with target backers behind the angled veneer to record deflection. IIRC old Ken was as surprised as anyone else when high velocity small caliber bullets clearly outperformed the common wisdom choice of the time...big heavy for caliber brush busters. Changed my bullet inventory after that...only roundnose heavies I shoot anymore are 6.5 Mannlicher and Krag.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wonder how much is induced by the seating stem and if a VLD seating stem might up the concentricity?

Semper Fi

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,821
Posts18,496,525
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.