Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
....straight outta Windham, Maine. 2007-2008. A1 carrying handle permanently molded into the upper. Classic... Simply classic... 100% "old school".

BUT, with that said. Would you leave it as is, with the iron sights, or would you swap this out, swap that out, and trick it up?
Just wondering....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would leave as is, if someone wanted to duplicate that today, they would spend a few bucks.

Recent acquisition?

What do you want to use it for?

The real answer is, it's your's, do what you want.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ButchA61
....straight outta Windham, Maine. 2007-2008. A1 carrying handle permanently molded into the upper. Classic... Simply classic... 100% "old school".

BUT, with that said. Would you leave it as is, with the iron sights, or would you swap this out, swap that out, and trick it up?
Just wondering....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"2007-2008", not really "old school" to me. Like john said, it's yours make it how you like it. Old school to me would have an A2 stock on it, but then again yours doesn't have a long handguard and 20" HBAR either. You are not going to hurt the value by changing some stuff on it. It's not like its a pre ban bushy or pre ban Colt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks... Yeah, it was (legally in Virginia* -- yes, yes, ATF people watching this thread!) gifted to me (Christmas present) by my older sister. It belonged to my (late) brother-in-law, who bought it brand new back around 2007 or 2008. Shot on the range about 200-300 rounds, and then my older brother-in-law got sick with cancer and passed away.

* Yes, it is perfectly legal to "gift" a firearm amongst family members, as long as they are in the same state. We're all in Virginia, Henrico County, etc... so it's 100% legit --- thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leave it as is. If you want a different version, order the parts from PSA and build another.

The older Bushmasters I’ve owned from that era and before were great AR’s. And accurate and very reliable too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it was mine I'd put a grip I liked better on it. Can't really see what's going on with that sling but would likely do something else with that. Outside of that looks like a fun gun just as it is.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It's a single point sling that my (late) brother-in-law installed on it. Goes over your head & non-dominant shoulder, and hangs directly centered over your sternum.

Edit: Regarding the overall condition of the old Bushmaster - my older brother-in-law kept it totally OEM stock, with the only accessory was an A1/A2 picatinny rail mount for the carrying handle. What he planned on doing, Lord knows. He got too sick with cancer by that time. frown

Last edited by ButchA61; 02/12/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would love to have it! Finding any kind of carry handle upper receiver to build something like this seems to be pretty well impossible now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
uppers are cheap, buy another upper

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would leave it as is but replace the hand grip with a better one.

Looks nice.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old school to me would be A1 stock, triangle handguards, 20 inch barrel, 3 prong flash hider, and a grip without that obnoxious 'dog pecker knot' on it.
If your eyes work with the irons, leave it as is. If not, change out the complete upper assembly with something more optic friendly, but hang on to the carry handle upper.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The old SP-1 carbine was the first AR that got my attention. The main difference is it has a pencil barrel in it. Those are classic old school guns that still get it done.

I’d much rather have the A1 upper than a flat top or A2. I like the fixed carry handle because it has more room, I can’t get my hand comfortably in a removable carry handle and I like the rugged sights on the A1.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Leave it, put an Aimpoint on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TWR
The old SP-1 carbine was the first AR that got my attention. The main difference is it has a pencil barrel in it. Those are classic old school guns that still get it done.

I’d much rather have the A1 upper than a flat top or A2. I like the fixed carry handle because it has more room, I can’t get my hand comfortably in a removable carry handle and I like the rugged sights on the A1.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR

Wonder how many A2 rear sights have broken? Reason I ask is MTU uses them. And have been stories of more than a few dropped hard on concrete from height etc... and all surviving.

Looking at the A1 though, it sure is more protected. Thats obvious. But now that we concede that optics are strong enough for battle it makes one wonder if irons aren't plenty strong.

That said the other thing about A1 is there are basically not adjustable. IE zero it for whatever and use holdovers. You can't accidentally move the windage or elevation. I think I like that part the most about A1 sights.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
None broken that I'm aware of but I heard of a guy while waiting to qualify took a siesta and someone may or may not have jacked with his A2 sight and kinda messed him up pretty well...

On a carbine, I'm good with a 200 yard zero out to 300 yards with holdovers, beyond that is just pure luck with any iron sights for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an XM15-E2S in the late 90s. When I got it out to the range to sight it in I found that if I sighted in at 50, it would shoot several inches to the right at 100, and if I sighted it in at 100 it would shoot a few inches to the left at 50. I sent it back to Bushmaster and they made it right so I have no real complaint, except against my own bad luck. It turned out to be a pretty good rifle, at least for my purposes. I think swapped that one for a Browning .22 A-Bolt to give my nephew for his birthday.

Back in those days you couldn't give me a flat-top AR. These days it's just the opposite but to each his own.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by viking
Leave it, put an Aimpoint on it.
Sweet!!! Look what I found on the internet! Hmmmm....

https://kearms.americommerce.com/aimpoint-carry-handle-mount.aspx

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Last edited by TWR; 02/13/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stophel
I would love to have it! Finding any kind of carry handle upper receiver to build something like this seems to be pretty well impossible now.
This. There are people all over the country lusting after that A1 upper right now as we speak.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 49 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,989
Posts18,481,059
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.