Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
One of my long time bow hunting buddies is looking to buy a nice all around rifle.
I know everybody always loves these lol.. But at least on this one there's some more specific criteria. I haven't been as active in the rifle game for a while so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions you guys might have. Not overly worried about chambering as there's a slew of different cartridges that'll work great, more just the platform.

Budget- $1500-1800 rifle alone. Optics separate

Usage: North American game, if we go for elk/moose I told him that half the fun will be getting a different rifle for bigger critters. .

His wants:
Stainless action/barrel. He prefers fluted barrel if possible
Fairly light weight as we walk long distances
Lasting quality and value

I was thinking Sako 85 finlight or M70 extreme weather. I've loved both of those rifles that I've had, but I'm not sure if they're still top choices.

With that budget and plan what would you get?

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Start with caliber. Plenty of quality rifles available once you decide on a caliber.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lets get this started off right. How many guys are going to suggest Tikka, and probably the superlite, since his buddy wants a fluted stainless barrel?? Use the rest of the money on a really good scope, or really save your money and buy a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex and hunt the world over. Anyone that can't get it done with that combo, needs to take up a different sport. And yes, before you ask, that set up will lay some waste (shoot better) to rifles costing twice as much or more. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Lets get this started off right. How many guys are going to suggest Tikka, and probably the superlite, since his buddy wants a fluted stainless barrel?? Use the rest of the money on a really good scope, or really save your money and buy a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex and hunt the world over. Anyone that can't get it done with that combo, needs to take up a different sport. And yes, before you ask, that set up will lay some waste (shoot better) to rifles costing twice as much or more. Just sayin..

I'd hunt this combo no doubt.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
270, 308, or 30-06 in a Tikka T3x, Winchester Model 70, or Remington 700 with a Nightforce 3-10 SHV.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
TIKKA, 7MM-08

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A tikka super light in 6.5 creedmoor and see if Doug still has those 2-12 athlon scope and rangefinder deal going. Grab a case or two of ammo. I like sports match rings here but many options for that.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I can’t argue with this; so I didn’t. I’m downsizing my battery and took the advice of many here. Bought a Tikka stainless 30-06 and the Burris FFII 3-9. It worked so well that I bought a second as a backup. Everything else now is fun but not necessary. I didn’t go Superlite as the difference wasn’t important for my hunting.

Edited to add: For most game, especially if shooting factory ammo, I’d likely choose a 308 or 6.5 CM. The store shelves always seem to be full of ammo for these two. I load my own and find I really like moose hunting, so I chose the 30-06.

Last edited by WMR; 02/12/23.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Hard to go wrong there, especially if one rifle is the goal.

If one wanted to eventually shoot 200's and heavies, I'd prefer the '06. And a good '06 will shoot lighter bullets about as well as the .308.

My current project is loading Absolute Hammer bullets at higher velocities than conventional in several rounds. Google that and check it out.

I just loaded 162 gr. AH over Varget for a reported 3K+ fps out of an '06. Those bullets have such low friction by design that one needs to use faster powder to get enough in the case to achieve those velocities.

I have bigger guns for bigger game, may not actually be needed.

I'm confident there's gonna be plenty of opinions here.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My choice would be Winchester 70 Pre 64 Featherweight in 30-06, it's light enough without beating up your shoulder with 180 gr bullets.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ll give another vote for the M70 featherweight preferably in 30-06. Nothing in NA that can’t be hunted.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
6.5CM, 7-08, or 308. Pick one, they will all kill any game animal in North America. It comes down to how much recoil you want to deal with and ammo availability. 7-08 is a fine round, if you handload. Factory ammo is harder to find, and it doesn't do anything 308 doesn't do. 6.5CM has the least recoil, but is also the smallest cartridge I'd choose for elk size game.

I'd push the Easy Button and just get a Tikka and spend the rest of my budget on something else. The Winchester 70 EW is also a fine rifle but will be nearly a full pound heavier and no more accurate. Probably won't match Tikka. I have one and with a McMillan Edge stock on it like it a lot. But I didn't care for it in the factory stock. You can buy 3 Tikka's for what an EW + McMillan stock will cost. And end up with 3 lighter, more accurate rifles.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

+1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

+1

+2,

Why, because I was that guy. Other than "saying" I have a $1500 - $1800 rifle, the Tikka will do all you want and then some. I had a custom 308 built on a SS rem 700 action. By the time I bought the action, SS shilen select match barrel, jewel trigger, grayboe composite stock, then had it all bedded by gunsmith, it cost way too much and shot no better than my stock Tikka. I bought a $10 spring for the Tikka trigger and it very light now, a limbsaver recoil pad, and thats it. Not saying the Rem 700 was a dud, it drove tacks, I just found a new tack driver which allowed me to put more money into my optic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alex_Beasley
One of my long time bow hunting buddies is looking to buy a nice all around rifle.
I know everybody always loves these lol.. But at least on this one there's some more specific criteria. I haven't been as active in the rifle game for a while so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions you guys might have. Not overly worried about chambering as there's a slew of different cartridges that'll work great, more just the platform.

Budget- $1500-1800 rifle alone. Optics separate

Usage: North American game, if we go for elk/moose I told him that half the fun will be getting a different rifle for bigger critters. .

His wants:
Stainless action/barrel. He prefers fluted barrel if possible
Fairly light weight as we walk long distances
Lasting quality and value

I was thinking Sako 85 finlight or M70 extreme weather. I've loved both of those rifles that I've had, but I'm not sure if they're still top choices.

With that budget and plan what would you get?

Stainless Tikka T3 in choice of 270, 6.5, 7-08, 308, a trigger spring, and a NF 3-10 SHV Forceplex.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
30-06. Find a nice L-61 Sako or a Remington 700 Classic

Last edited by hanco; 02/13/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington 700 CDL-SF in 270 or 30-06 bedded in a McM stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm always amazed that these discussions can go on and on and nobody mentions the fit of the rifle to the shooter. Have your buddy shoulder some rifles and see what fits him. If you really want to make it work, go to a smith who can fit a stock to your buddy. You will never be sorry.
Stock fit will mitigate recoil and insure that the rifle feels like a part of your body. If it feels like a 2X6, the brand name is irrelevant.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd go with a model 70 extreme weather if he can find one in the cartridge that he likes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,761
Posts18,495,528
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.