Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Does anyone know if its legal to have a firearm in your RV while driving through state of NY (out of state RV)?

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Long gun is ok, handgun nope.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Does anyone know if its legal to have a firearm in your RV while driving through state of NY (out of state RV)?
Yes but only a long gun and it has to out of sight and be locked in a luggage type case if left unattended in your vehicle. Also, it can't be a semi auto "assault weapon" or any semi auto with a detachable magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. Any violation of these laws is a felony.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Handgun unloaded in a locked case in trunk ammunition locked case separate separate ONLY allowed if you are traveling through, not stopping, and coming from and going to a destination where possession of a handgun is legal.

You might have to prove that in court, all of the above is a defense to prosecution not a defense against arrest

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Ok many thanks!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Handgun unloaded in a locked case in trunk ammunition locked case separate separate ONLY allowed if you are traveling through, not stopping, and coming from and going to a destination where possession of a handgun is legal.

You might have to prove that in court, all of the above is a defense to prosecution not a defense against arrest

Which is why I will never get to see the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

I will not willingly set foot in New York state if I am not allowed to carry a handgun on my person.......or for that matter any other state that does not allow me to do so.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
James--you should be OK to go to Cooperstown in upstate New York.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Felony if you get caught

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Quartermaster
Felony if you get caught
☝🏻This☝🏻

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako76

Ya think?

It's still NY state

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Quartermaster
Felony if you get caught
Yeah but you get released the same day with $0 bail and a apology from the Governor so it's all good.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stay out of new York

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oooops.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Ya think?

It's still NY state

James--upstate isn't the Bronx. Cooperstown is in Montgomery County, I own property in Delaware County, rural New York is safe, just don't bring a handgun onto the state.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blanket
Stay out of new York
I grew up in New York (Poughkeepsie area, along the Hudson River). My wife is from Buffalo (West Seneca - suburb). We both still have family members, friends, etc.. all scattered around New York. She can go back and visit anytime she wants. Me? Nope. Sorry... ain't happening. NY State is ruined in my eyes and no longer the same state I grew up in.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Ya think?

It's still NY state

My son’s little league team played a week long tournament at Cooperstown Dream Park in 2017. I was still an active LEO at the time but didn’t take a handgun due to the hassle with the airlines and the laws of New York so needless to say it felt odd to be unarmed. With that said it was an awesome experience. We visited the HOF, went to Double Day Field where baseball is thought to have been invented, also the people were so nice absolutely not what I expected in my mind. The county was beautiful, full of deer and turkey. There were deer blinds in the fields, hell I even saw a home flying a Confederate flag outside. I was really surprised in a good way by my time there. We visited a large cemetery there and it was odd to see Union Veterans graves for the first time in my life. We rode the old train from the Dreams Park into Cooperstown which was also very cool. I think if I was you I would definitely go and enjoy a good time. I fully understand your feelings on not being armed however so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Last edited by LBP; 02/15/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i doubt you'd have a problem with most upstate Sheriff's offices or troopers. Same with small local agencies...some upstate cities i'd be worried.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I emailed this question to the State of New York as we planned a road trip to Maine from Texas. The reply I received and still have if I can find it pretty much says what Birdwatcher commented. The three areas to remember was "Travel Straight Through" that could technically mean no stopping for fuel, food or potty breaks. Next was locked in the trunk with ammunition separate" - well an SUV also brings another technicality. The last thing to remember is that even when doing all of these things, state or local law enforcement "can" arrest you and it becomes your place to prove your intentions. I carried the letter - never was stopped - don't plan to travel through New York ever again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Ya think?

It's still NY state

James--upstate isn't the Bronx. Cooperstown is in Montgomery County, I own property in Delaware County, rural New York is safe, just don't bring a handgun onto the state.
Cooperstown is in Otsego County.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 63 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,807
Posts18,536,665
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.