Print Thread
Hop To
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone ever make it out of venison heart? Had someone tell me how good it is and i have a moose heart to do something with. Online the recipes are calling for boiling in water with pickling spice and then slicing and placing in a mason jar with a brine of water, salt, vinegar, onions and pickling spices. Does anyone have a pet recipe to share? I also have the tongue and was wondering if it would be good using the same method.

Thanks Gents

Last edited by hntr1; 02/15/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good.

A friend used to pickle beef tongue when I was a kid, I loved it.
Mom had the recipe but lost it.🥺

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd follow this recipe, Cool, and use cider vinegar, cloves, onion, garlic, store in the fride for two weeks, and enjoy.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have NOT tried this, but a buddy recently emailed this to me. I just copied what he sent.

"My parents used to serve this for Happy Hour during deer season to the hunters that we guided. My Mom used a different pickling recipe, but I wanted to simplify the process so I use the pre-made dressing.

I cut the raw heart open top to bottom and into 2-3 pieces. I remove the tough connective tissue inside and ensure that all the blood is washed out. If you want to serve the pickled heart in a week or so go ahead and boil it in water until fully cooked. (No longer pink inside when you slice it.) If you want to save the hearts till a later date (Next deer season) I wrap the cleaned hearts like you would raw meat and freeze them.

After the heart is cooked I remove the pieces from the water and let them cool. Once cooled I slice the pieces about 1/4 inch thick. I remove any more pieces of the tough tissue (Inside) and fat (Outside) that I may have missed earlier. Then I cut the slices in pieces about 1 1/4 inch long. The resulting pieces should fit nicely on a Ritz Cracker. Put the meat pieces in a large glass jar or split evenly between some smaller ones.

For the pickling brine I mix equal parts of Wish Bone Italian Dressing and Vinegar and pour it over the meat pieces. I like to have the level of the mixture at least a couple inches over the top of the heart pieces. I use a large glass jar with a lid to hold it while it is aging. I place the jar with meat/brine in the refrigerator for about a week before I serve/eat it. I stir the mixture once a day for the week that it is pickling in the refrigerator.

After about a week of pickling in the refrigerator I scoop the pieces out with a slotted spoon and put them in a small bowl. I put the bowl on a plate surrounded with Ritz or Club Crackers and some slices of sharp cheese. It is mostly a guy thing (Hunting Camp), but some women will like it as well. Return the jar with unused pieces to the refrigerator for storage. I try to use it within a couple weeks after the initial week of pickling, but it may last longer.

I don't like hot food, but I guess you could also add sliced jalapeno peppers or red chili flakes to the pickling juice if you wanted it spicy."

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
They both sound good, thanks guys

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,399
Posts18,506,941
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.