Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by RIO7
JG,

Blackheart, doesn't need or want to come to Texas, to hunt he has the whole world of hunting in his back yard FREE, he is a big time meat hunter. bet he would like to have a ELK, or AXIS, to eat but they are not in his back yard like they are here in Texas. Rio7
Nope, I've eaten elk and can't tell that it tastes much different than whitetail. My ceilings aren't high enough to hang one and I don't have room with all the whitetail antlers on the walls anyway so no desire to hunt them. This ain't Texas thank God so I'm not limited to hunting only on land I own or lease and certainly not to my back yard. I have hunted all across this state from the Catskills to the Adirondacks to the finger lakes, on both public and private land and never paid a dime for access. I can hunt whitetails from Oct. 1 to Jan. 1 and shoot 2 bucks and up to 7 does a year legally and that is enough for me.

I’m glad you can, too many fools here to hunt public land. Can you show us some pics. I’d like to see some from up that way.
How many people get shot in a season on your public land ? Very few here. We go through some seasons without a single accidental shooting. You're more likely to get killed in a car accident on the way to hunt than you are to get shot on public land. More people get injured or killed falling out of tree stands. If you want to see what it looks like here just google Adirondacks or Catskills. There are lots of pics and videos.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
If a guy had say 6400 acres, since that figure was mentioned previously in this thread, what would be the point of high fencing it if you weren’t going to put exotic animals or freak genetic modified deer in the enclosure?

As was stated, the deer that live there probably won’t be affected by the fence as they have a very large area to live in inside. And it won’t be small enough to make it a whole lot easier to kill one.

That’s a large expense for fencing materials and labor, what does it gain the owner?

It lets you manage your herd, cull the inferior deer, hunt a longer season if a game biologist is employed. The longer season would be nice.
If a guy had say 6400 acres, since that figure was mentioned previously in this thread, what would be the point of high fencing it if you weren’t going to put exotic animals or freak genetic modified deer in the enclosure?

As was stated, the deer that live there probably won’t be affected by the fence as they have a very large area to live in inside. And it won’t be small enough to make it a whole lot easier to kill one.

That’s a large expense for fencing materials and labor, what does it gain the owner?

It lets you manage your herd, cull the inferior deer, hunt a longer season if a game biologist is employed. The longer season would be nice.
Yep.

And keep out opportunists and poachers who don’t mind trespassing and shooting your deer.

And letting young bucks mature.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
High Fence gives the Owner Control. Rio7

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am just a average working now retired man who hunts sometimes out my back door , i also own land up by the Canadian border that i spend alot of time at in the fall. i have hunted in the west in Montana and Wyoming for many years but the license prices are getting to high probably wont go many more times . i have never hunted in these large land tracts that are fenced in to hunt but it kinda sounds interesting but it also sounds expensive so i probably will never happen . Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meat hunters will shoot a property out, then bitch, because they aren’t seeing any deer. “ Duh, what happened to all the deer”
Sounds like a microcosm of Pennsylvania

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RIO7
High Fence gives the Owner Control. Rio7
It does.

I think it sets the stage for tension between those who own land and those who don’t. Sort of a have/have not struggle with resentment for those “rich” land owners.

Struggle as old as civilization.

We in Louisiana don’t have trespass laws as tough as Texas.

We have large timber company tracts of woodland, hunted for generations by locals. When the companies realized they could lease hunting land and started leasing to hunting clubs, there was some serious resistance from those with “squatters right” to those properties.

It took a while to work it out. Early on there were burned vehicles and camps. Not as bad now. The hunting clubs do police their leased tracts and that helps. Locals were forced to realize they don’t control property they don’t own. They didn’t like it, still don’t like it. But the law prevails.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/15/23.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If someone wants to hunt High Fence have at it. I am fortunate to have a place to hunt that has lots of deer but there aren't trophys. 130 would be a monster. I am for hunting opportunity that people enjoy. However as long as it is legal. I am not jealous that people can pay and shoot a farmed 200 inch buck if they want.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s hard to get over a high fence, not a 5 foot one. You can cut a hole in a high fence, but you might get shot if you are caught. People don’t take kindly to trespassers in Texas. The rancher in South Texas to us to shoot wetbacks on sight, he hated them, wouldn’t be surprised if he had shot a few.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In Texas is it legal to fence in wild deer or do you have to put your own inside the fence?

In Oklahoma the state constitution says that game belongs to all citizens of the state. If you high fence your place the wildlife department will come out and do a survey to determine that you’ve driven all the deer out before they okay you to place whatever you want inside.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Our neighbors put a hurting on the bucks we raise all year during the rut. We have at least 7 hunt clubs that border our property. Years ago some hunt club members set a gobbler and 2 hen decoys up 40yds into our property, I shot the gobbler decoy 3 times and they took off running. I haven't seen any foot tracks on our side since. But I did find this gut shot buck 250yds from one of their property line feeders a few weeks ago.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In Texas is it legal to fence in wild deer or do you have to put your own inside the fence?

In Oklahoma the state constitution says that game belongs to all citizens of the state. If you high fence your place the wildlife department will come out and do a survey to determine that you’ve driven all the deer out before they okay you to place whatever you want inside.
In Georgia your not allowed to fence wildlife in, but you can try to fence them out. You just have to abide by the state game laws while hunting inside your fence.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
High fences don't hold deer. They WILL eventually find their way over, under, around or through.
It's just natural.
My youngest has some land in south Texas. The wife and me "snow bird" their every year. The south property fence is 10 feet high. Every morning when I go out to turn chickens out, there is a nilgai cow staring at me through the high fence.
I did a Google earth search on the high fence area. The high fence ends about a quarter of a mile to the west.
She can easily get around the high fence. Though perfectly capable, nilgai aren't prone to jumping fences. They prefer to go under. Yes, they WILL jump fences if pushed or if they feel threatened.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My youngest has a friend who lives on a high fence ranch.
One time at the ranch, a hunter was talking to the ranch manager.
He was talking to a "hunter" who had just killed a deer he'd paid $10K to hunt. The guy was considering shooting a second buck that would cost him $12K!
The whole time, he's slipping $100 bills to his guides.
He also told the ranch manager to reserve two more spots for next year. He wanted to bring his two kids with him!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
My youngest has a friend who lives on a high fence ranch.
One time at the ranch, a hunter was talking to the ranch manager.
He was talking to a "hunter" who had just killed a deer he'd paid $10K to hunt. The guy was considering shooting a second buck that would cost him $12K!
The whole time, he's slipping $100 bills to his guides.
He also told the ranch manager to reserve two more spots for next year. He wanted to bring his two kids with him!

That is nothing to some people

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good discussion, not much BS

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Guy I work with is mid 60s. Retired from a major oil company doesn't have to work. I asked why he was still working. He said he has expensive hobby. He likes to buy nice guns and pay for quality animals. He hunts High Fence mostly. He likes to do it. I have no objections if he enjoys it. It isn't what I would do though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Cuz it's all about the ME right? Pathetic.

The way life should be.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bluefish
Cuz it's all about the ME right? Pathetic.

Can you expand on your comment??

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes Please do that. Rio7

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I understand why some put up fences, but it isn’t fair chase hunting. Look no further than B&C and P&Y. I see mentioned multiple times that if it’s legal, how am I to judge? We judge because hunters police their own. Some years back, I read about a reservation in Canada where night hunting for deer was legal. So is that all good? No way. High fences are the same. It’s bad for our hunting culture and image.

I once overheard a “hunter” talk about his high fence elk hunt. He said that once you went through the gate, you forgot you were behind a fence. That was the same guy who shot a spike on neighboring property and skinned it at our club skinning rack. Our club, which he was a member of, had antler restrictions that didn’t allow a spike to be killed. His empty hulls were in the fire break on us. Hmm. He was a judge so he could do what he wanted.

Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 2ndwind, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.