Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
These elk/chamberings thread will go on until the end of time, won't they?

Indeed. And there will always be those that believe they need a magnum, and those that know they don't.

Wise words gents

Agreed. I just don’t like being told I don’t know what I’m doing cause I wanna use, what I wanna use.

The magnums like fresh mountain air too grin

And I wasn’t implying nothing to Brad or you POC but it’s amazing how much folks get in the stranglehold that if you don’t use what they do, you’re somehow missing the boat.

Last edited by beretzs; 02/09/23.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

Indeed. And there will always be those that believe they need a magnum, and those that know they don't.

Wise words gents

Agreed. I just don’t like being told I don’t know what I’m doing cause I wanna use, what I wanna use.

And I wasn’t implying nothing to Brad or you POC but it’s amazing how much folks get in the stranglehold that if you don’t use what they do, you’re somehow missing the boat.

Hi Scotty, I completely understood your post. Like you I've used different magnums on elk. Also, like you, I know they're not necessary. But on every elk thread I've ever read there is a certain type of male that believes a magnum is a necessity for elk, despite having used nothing else. My observation is about those guys - the ones with minds closed like a vault grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

As well elk/bullets threads...

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Wise words gents

Hi Scotty, I completely understood your post. Like you I've used different magnums on elk. Also, like you, I know they're not necessary. But on every elk thread I've ever read there is a certain type of male that believes a magnum is a necessity for elk, despite having used nothing else. My observation is about those guys - the ones with minds closed like a vault grin

Yep me too Scotty - I like to shoot light rifles so the magnums sit around a lot more. I think shooting my ..300 & 340 Wbys was when I realized that I may have taken things unnecessarily far for elk maybe it was just the speed of the recoil that soured me and I began to drift back to more moderate cartridges. The fast 7mms still hold an allure but I haven’t fiddled with them nearly as much.

I have said this before but I squarely blame Bob Hagel. 😜

Be well gents & shoot what makes ya smile!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shot a buck with my 9.3x62 this fall. Should I seek help?

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boomwack
Originally Posted by centershot
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Any other questions?

One question, factory fodder or handloads??

Don't much matter. We'll, did to that elk to a degree...

Hand loads on that one, Good old Hornady 180gr Interlocks and H4350. Shot a couple bulls with factory 180gr CoreLokt's and a couple with 180gr Partitions. They all worked just fine for me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Wise words gents

Yep me too Scotty - I like to shoot light rifles so the magnums sit around a lot more. I think shooting my ..300 & 340 Wbys was when I realized that I may have taken things unnecessarily far for elk maybe it was just the speed of the recoil that soured me and I began to drift back to more moderate cartridges. The fast 7mms still hold an allure but I haven’t fiddled with them nearly as much.

I have said this before but I squarely blame Bob Hagel. 😜

Be well gents & shoot what makes ya smile!

For sure. I for one love to talk guns and such.

I blame Hagel and Farese. SOBs…. Both of em! grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boomwack
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Any other questions?

One question, factory fodder or handloads??

Don't much matter. We'll, did to that elk to a degree...

Hand loads on that one, Good old Hornady 180gr Interlocks and H4350. Shot a couple bulls with factory 180gr CoreLokt's and a couple with 180gr Partitions. They all worked just fine for me.
Thanks for the info centershot. I never had an 06' in-hand when there was an opportunity. Last I carried an 06' Elk'n was roughly 28 years ago... Planning to change that this coming fall

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't like a 30-06, you could always go with the 9x19 or, a sling-shot.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve told this story before. But the 06 isn’t enough. I found a DIY ranch hunt in New Mexico some years back. I signed my buddy and me up, but we needed a third. Buddy knew a guy, so all was good. We’re making the drive out and I ask third guy what he’s shooting. He tells me he shoots a .30-06, but his friend insisted that wasn’t enough and to take his 300 WBY. Now it had never been sighted in and he had no ammo. He was lucky to find ammo in Clayton, but nearly choked at the price. Buddy and I were setting up camp, while third guy was sighting in down the hill. He returned after about fifteen shots, still six inches low at 100. Of course, he did remember to hold high and got a 100 yard or so shot on the second day and killed the first bull of the hunt.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My first elk (cow) was shot on the run right at 135 steps, Aspen Grove. My 30-06 was loaded with the then new Hornady Light Magnums with Hornady 180SP ( clocked 2910 by chrono, 300 H&H speed!) first shot broke her back, wadded up in the vertebrae. When I go to about 100yds from her, she was trying to get up so popped her behind the shoulder, dead when I got to her. It ruined heart/lungs and was in fragment on the opposite rub cage. Not Classic Performance "per se", but it surely Impressed her and me both! ha Those speeds can be reached now with these New Powders we have. Heck, on those SE Texas deer we considered the 30-06 "a Magnum", ha. There the 30-30 was "the Big Gun". Bigger animals= Bigger Bullets! Yeah Baby! Next three were all shot with Magnums, just cause I wanted to! ( I'm with you Scotty! lol)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this makes the world go around.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
T
As always you can kill anything with anything as long as shot placement and correct bullet are used. A 30-06 with a ABLR or TTSX or ELDX will be extremely lethal to an elk. You also have to be aware of distance, a 6.5 creedmoor is lethal to an elk… at a certain range. 30-06 isn’t a long range cartridge and never will be, limit your range and it is extremely effective.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used an 06 with 180 grain partitions to kill a cow & it was the least impressive experience I’ve had on any elk. 3 rounds back of lungs still needed a finisher in the neck to keep her from running out of the area. Dads old Ruger used to kill an elk he never got to hunt and the worst shooting rifle I own. Did hit her 3 times on the run at 250 but all a little far back. More a function of bullet placement than anything else.

I’m a die hard 300 Weatherby fan for elk & love the extended & short range performance. A few bang flops & no long tracking jobs has convinced me. Two seasons ago I had to finish a 30-06 wounded cow. Again bullet placement the culprit for the 06.

If you hunt elk in your backyard by all means use a 30-30, if you want to take head shots use you 6.5 man bun. If you’re planning on limiting your shots to 300 yards or perfect angle 400 then the 06 is your huckleberry. I like the ability to reach out to 600 with confidence & take shots at tough angle without worrying about effectiveness.

I get to hunt elk the best week of every year. Boots, pack, fancy lightweight gear $2K in tags these days all expenditures just to hunt elk. We hunt public land much of it near private ranch borders & some with 400+ yard wide canyons. Less than 10% of my time is in thick woods or better close range conditions. So the 300 magnum elk rifle makes good sense to me. Mine is a heavy old Vanguard that shoots well & is practiced out to 800 yards every year.

I have 3 30-06’s & start all the family kids out with them as 1st elk rifles after 22 & 243’s it’s a manageable jump in recoil. But adults in our group tend to use 300 magnums bases on hunting conditions.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe often we mistake the cartridge not impressing as much as it can be the individual animal impressing.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 02/27/23.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From the OP, my guess is it was the 30-06 operator that had unimpressive shooting skills. 9 out of 10 times it’s the culprit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’ve used an 06 with 180 grain partitions to kill a cow & it was the least impressive experience I’ve had on any elk. 3 rounds back of lungs still needed a finisher in the neck to keep her from running out of the area. Dads old Ruger used to kill an elk he never got to hunt and the worst shooting rifle I own. Did hit her 3 times on the run at 250 but all a little far back. More a function of bullet placement than anything else.

I’m a die hard 300 Weatherby fan for elk & love the extended & short range performance. A few bang flops & no long tracking jobs has convinced me. Two seasons ago I had to finish a 30-06 wounded cow. Again bullet placement the culprit for the 06.

If you hunt elk in your backyard by all means use a 30-30, if you want to take head shots use you 6.5 man bun. If you’re planning on limiting your shots to 300 yards or perfect angle 400 then the 06 is your huckleberry. I like the ability to reach out to 600 with confidence & take shots at tough angle without worrying about effectiveness.

I get to hunt elk the best week of every year. Boots, pack, fancy lightweight gear $2K in tags these days all expenditures just to hunt elk. We hunt public land much of it near private ranch borders & some with 400+ yard wide canyons. Less than 10% of my time is in thick woods or better close range conditions. So the 300 magnum elk rifle makes good sense to me. Mine is a heavy old Vanguard that shoots well & is practiced out to 800 yards every year.

I have 3 30-06’s & start all the family kids out with them as 1st elk rifles after 22 & 243’s it’s a manageable jump in recoil. But adults in our group tend to use 300 magnums bases on hunting conditions.

Agree with this too. I wouldn't go past 4 or 500 with an 06. But I also wouldn't shoot a partition either. An 06 shooting a 165 interlock will mop the floor with anything inside 400. But if I was willing to shoot past 600 which I'm not, I have made kills that far, and don't really like shooting rifles the 5 pound turret telescopes on them, I would reach for a 300 win mag. Anything more is reinventing the wheel. I have an 06 and love it, live in wide open country and serves me well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Curious why no to a NP?

The way life should be.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bluefish
Curious why no to a NP?

Yeah seems like a lot of people forgot about that one.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bluefish
Curious why no to a NP?

Because they practice “Shoot and Release”.

Besides, elk are heavy and hard to pack out. 😁

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 37 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.